Author Topic: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis  (Read 70638 times)

Re: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Measured 6’10’’ in shoes, with a 6’10.5’’ wingspan

I do like Sabonis. Works hard, great motor, and seems like a really good kid judging from Gonzaga show on HBO (Hard Knocks type show). As mentioned above, his shot is a little funky, but the release point is high. Regardless, in order for him to excel in today's NBA, he's going to have to develop a respectable shot out to 3pt range.

If we do draft Sabonis this would be a very bad sign for Mickey though. Neither is able to play the 5 (Sabonis for his lack of length/rim protection - Mickey because he's both undersized and not strong enough), but I do think Sabonis is the better prospect than the offensively challenged/mechanical Mickey.

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 11:33:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He's got an awkward little jump shot, doesn't he? If it works for him, great. Looks kind of funny, though.

If he's got real 4 size but can move to stay with 3's on defense then he'll make it in the NBA. He looks like he's got great footwork and a good motor. He wingspan won't hurt his rebounding but it hurts him as a rim protector, which is why I think his ability to switch onto quicker forwards will be big.

Like others have said, he looks like a Danny guy. But it's hard to figure out where he fits into the rotation on this roster right now.

He fits bc then you don't have to be desperate to sign Sullinger to a deal he wants.  Also Zeller is a goner. Can't see him brought back next season (what a mistake that would be)

You can have flexibility to bring back Amir.   We could instead use the 12 Million on Horford

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 11:33:28 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would pick him with the Celtics pick. He could be a quality player. If he's selected in the 20's I think it's great value.

I wouldn't select him with the Mavs pick because there are other high upside guys I'd rather see Boston target.

He is not going to be there in the 20s. That would be a steal

You need to use the mavs pick. Actually may need to add some picks with it to move up

You have to appreciate his strength , feel for game, motor in a 6'10 , 6'11 package.   Last time I checked this is above avg height for a PF in the NBA

Tell me who you think has more upside around 13-15?

I mean for example I'm a fan of Rabb. He is a better athlete. But he needs to add weight (which with jjj some players can never get much stronger).   Stone has a longer wingspan and is also a pretty strong kid. But lacks motor, can't shoot

These big guys for some teams maybe a better fit depending their system.but I find. Sabonis just a sweet fit under CBS(using the crowder test).  This def has to count for something
Higher potential in that area: Deyonta Davis, Luwawu, Rabb.

I also prefer Valentine and Prince to Sabonis.

I like Sabonis' game but I'd rather they brought in a long player who can protect the rim, a good 3 point shooter or an athletic wing that can guard multiple positions. I see those as our biggest needs, not just in the short term but in the long term too.

we already have Mickey

Mickey and Sabonis in time is a nice balance
I think we can do a lot better than Mickey and Sabonis long term.

I don't want either of those guys defending traditional centers.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I do like Sabonis. Works hard, great motor, and seems like a really good kid judging from Gonzaga show on HBO (Hard Knocks type show). As mentioned above, his shot is a little funky, but the release point is high. Regardless, in order for him to excel in today's NBA, he's going to have to develop a respectable shot out to 3pt range.

If we do draft Sabonis this would be a very bad sign for Mickey though. Neither is able to play the 5 (Sabonis for his lack of length/rim protection - Mickey because he's both undersized and not strong enough), but I do think Sabonis is the better prospect than the offensively challenged/mechanical Mickey.

thanks for the nice laugh Eddie 20.  You were on a roll until you described Mickeys game

you kidding right? Watch his D league highlights and see how mechanical his offensive game is

CBS is not playing him right now bc he favors strength, which none of our rookies have a great deal of (and I mean they are rookies)

Sabonis and Mickey in time works coming from the bench.  You got rebounding + shot blocking

There you go Eddie 20

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 11:40:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would pick him with the Celtics pick. He could be a quality player. If he's selected in the 20's I think it's great value.

I wouldn't select him with the Mavs pick because there are other high upside guys I'd rather see Boston target.

You need to use the mavs pick. Actually may need to add some picks with it to move up

You have to appreciate his strength , feel for game, motor in a 6'10 , 6'11 package.   Last time I checked this is above avg height for a PF in the NBA

I mean for example I'm a fan of Rabb. He is a better athlete. But he needs to add weight (which with jjj some players can never get much stronger).   Stone has a longer wingspan and is also a pretty strong kid. But lacks motor, can't shoot

These big guys for some teams maybe a better fit depending their system.but I find. Sabonis just a sweet fit under CBS(using the crowder test).  This def has to count for something

I like Sabonis' game but I'd rather they brought in a long player who can protect the rim, a good 3 point shooter or an athletic wing that can guard multiple positions. I see those as our biggest needs, not just in the short term but in the long term too.

we already have Mickey

Sabonis and Mickey is not a pair i'm stating that will start anytime soon. But it is a sweet off the bench front court unit

Listen man,  you don't use a 13-15 pick and hope he is going to be towns.  We have to realistic that Sabonis may not be able to handle the frontcourt load on his own and needs help

We have to draft correctly this time and not try to reach for ghost potential like James Young at 17.   

1-10 picks usually have starting potential . 10-15  starter/1st off the bench

15-20 1st off the bench/bench ,  20-last pick of 2nd round role player (you hope)

If you get anything more from 10 and on, you grabbed a great pick. But it doesn't happen often

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 11:40:55 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

thanks for the nice laugh Eddie 20.  You were on a roll until you described Mickeys game

you kidding right? Watch his D league highlights and see how mechanical his offensive game is

CBS is not playing him right now bc he favors strength, which none of our rookies have a great deal of (and I mean they are rookies)

Sabonis and Mickey in time works coming from the bench.  You got rebounding + shot blocking

There you go Eddie 20

I don't think you realize how putrid the level of competition in the D League is since you can't write something about Mickey without citing his D League stats. For reference though, Vander Blue (you might remember he had a cup of coffee with us) is the second leading scorer in that league.

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

There you go Eddie 20

I don't think you realize how putrid the level of competition in the D League is since you can't go write something about Mickey without citing his D League stats. For reference though, Vander Blue (you might remember he had a cup of coffee with is) is the second leading scorer in that league.

how long has Vander Blue been in the D league?? he is like a vet now

Mickey is doing well in his 1st year.  He needs a chance. You think if he was a risk, Danny would sign him to the deal he did.   Just wait until he gets his chance.   

With the small amount of mins he has made an impact for the parent team.  Not sure when Mickey steps in you just turn off the TV or something

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 11:47:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

we already have Mickey

Sabonis and Mickey is not a pair i'm stating that will start anytime soon. But it is a sweet off the bench front court unit

Listen man,  you don't use a 13-15 pick and hope he is going to be towns.  We have to realistic that Sabonis may not be able to handle the frontcourt load on his own and needs help

We have to draft correctly this time and not try to reach for ghost potential like James Young at 17.   

1-10 picks usually have starting potential . 10-15  starter/1st off the bench

15-20 1st off the bench/bench ,  20-last pick of 2nd round role player (you hope)

If you get anything more from 10 and on, you grabbed a great pick. But it doesn't happen often
I disagree about not chasing potential. We already have a very deep team, what we need is a star to play with our deep team. I'm willing to gamble on a guy that has 10% chance at being a star even if his bust potential is much higher.

I do agree that Sabonis and Mickey isn't a bad bench combination.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

There you go Eddie 20

I don't think you realize how putrid the level of competition in the D League is since you can't go write something about Mickey without citing his D League stats. For reference though, Vander Blue (you might remember he had a cup of coffee with is) is the second leading scorer in that league.

Mickey is doing well in his 1st year.  He needs a chance. You think if he was a risk, Danny would sign him to the deal he did.   Just wait until he gets his chance.   

With the small amount of mins he has made an impact for the team.  Not sure when Mickey steps in you just turn off the TV or something

Blue is only 23.

Ainge signed Mickey to a team friendly low risk deal. His contract can easily be dealt if he doesn't develop. Mickey has been given chances, but he hasn't capitalize on them thus far. He's good as a help defender and in defending PNR's, but he's average as a 1 on 1 defender and below average defending the post. He's also not a very good rebounder and gives up position inside. Offensively, he's a garbage man that would score opportunistic buckets, but no player respects his perimeter game (for good reason) and when he's out there our spacing is pretty bad. 4's in our system simply need to be able to shoot.

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 12:36:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

There you go Eddie 20

With the small amount of mins he has made an impact for the team.  Not sure when Mickey steps in you just turn off the TV or something

Blue is only 23.

Ainge signed Mickey to a team friendly low risk deal. His contract can easily be dealt if he doesn't develop. Mickey has been given chances, but he hasn't capitalize on them thus far. He's good as a help defender and in defending PNR's, but he's average as a 1 on 1 defender and below average defending the post. He's also not a very good rebounder and gives up position inside. Offensively, he's a garbage man that would score opportunistic buckets, but no player respects his perimeter game (for good reason) and when he's out there our spacing is pretty bad. 4's in our system simply need to be able to shoot.

does this make sense Eddie20?

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 12:39:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Sabonis is not even 20 yet.  The kid is strong as an ox. Lithuanian strength also hihihi

He is only going to get stronger

There have been only a few non lengthy/explosive guys that haven been able to well as rebounders/post defenders in the league. Like Charles Oakley.    Sabonis I predict will be another exception .  Though unlike Oakley who was like only 6'8 , Sabonis is a legit 6'10, perhaps 6'11 by now

His post moves make my mouth drop.  It's old school, Al Jefferson hard to stop.  You don't see this type of skill anymore.   It won't matter if Poeltl, Towns is guarding Sabonis, he will spin, up and under his way utilizing his top footwork for a basket

The Celts can really use this right about now to open things up for the shooters/Penetrators

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Where are you getting his measurements from, I'm concerned about his true height. He's certainly not 6'11"

The only height I see listed is in 2015 Nike skills competition where he's measures at 6'10" shoes on.

That means a legit 6'9"

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Where are you getting his measurements from, I'm concerned about his true height. He's certainly not 6'11"

The only height I see listed is in 2015 Nike skills competition where he's measures at 6'10" shoes on.

That means a legit 6'9"

Is he going to be playing without shoes on?

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 03:01:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

That means a legit 6'9"

Is he going to be playing without shoes on?

puhahaha omg

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 03:13:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think we need to factor in the other good things and not stress on the negatives or perceived negatives

For example he took Poeltl to school, frustrated him. overpowered and outwit him . And Poeltl is considered a higher level prospect.

He is taller by an inch or inch and half, longer wingspan, can jump higher etc. But in the end of the day it didn't matter

It';s like Crowder who is 6'5 without shoes and 6'6 with shoes.  Not the most ideal height for a SF.  6'9 wingspan . Again not great not bad.   Not really explosive quick.  Very general skill level

BUT he makes it work. And he has the strength and spirit of a bull.  Motor is always at a high level. I mean has anyone even seen him get winded before? 

I see Sabonis the same way but PF/C version.   As long as he can do one thing well (rebound at the NBA level) I worry little about the rest.