Author Topic: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis  (Read 70619 times)

Re: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 01:20:51 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The real question is what's his true height.

I'm guessing he's 6'9" shoes off at the combine, if he has a short standing reach he may slip again.

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 04:29:53 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
He sure does look like a player that Danny would like. A lot.

And so do I.  His high motor, high intensity is what I love in a player. And he is pretty skilled as well.

Would not mind takin him with the Dallas pick. Let's say.... at the 12th spot.

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 05:47:05 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Just thought of a summer league starting line-up of:

PG-Rozier
SG-Hunter
SF-Ingram (second pick, lottery luck)
PF-Mickey
C-Sabonis (twelfth pick, Dallas)

Man, I would love to see those 5 kicking ass in the SL.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 06:51:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's gonna have to play PF in the nba and to play PF in today's nba he needs to stretch the floor.
I highly doubt he's  6'10" either.e
Excellent motor though and quite agile around the basket.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 07:03:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

The real question is what's his true height.

I'm guessing he's 6'9" shoes off at the combine, if he has a short standing reach he may slip again.

6'10.5 or 6'11 in shoes is all that matters.  6'10.5 T-Rex Olynyk wingspan is a little worrisome but this kid is a warrior. It would be a relief if he had at least a 9'0 reach and 9'1 even better.

I rather see these type of measurements vs a 7 ft wingspan but 8'10 reach Zeller supposedly has

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 07:14:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Just thought of a summer league starting line-up of:

PG-Rozier
SG-Hunter
SF-Ingram (second pick, lottery luck)
PF-Mickey
C-Sabonis (twelfth pick, Dallas)

Man, I would love to see those 5 kicking ass in the SL.

Amazing looking SL roster

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 08:06:16 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
6'9 6'10 or 6'11.....doesn't matter He is a big under BS system and can gaurd bigger guys......ala Poeltl.....who scored 5 pts and 4rebs vs Sabonis 19pts and 10 rebs

Sabonis would be a good fit in BS system imo

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
His game reminds me of David Lee.  Which wouldn't be a bad outcome for a mid first pick.

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 08:58:13 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would pick him with the Celtics pick. He could be a quality player. If he's selected in the 20's I think it's great value.

I wouldn't select him with the Mavs pick because there are other high upside guys I'd rather see Boston target.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
6'9 6'10 or 6'11.....doesn't matter He is a big under BS system and can gaurd bigger guys......ala Poeltl.....who scored 5 pts and 4rebs vs Sabonis 19pts and 10 rebs

Sabonis would be a good fit in BS system imo

Just schooled poeltl. He took away his left shoulder every time. He speaks to his dad almost after every game he says.   So he has a personal coach also

And no , Sabonis is not like Lee.  Sabonis is a better defender  especially out to the perimeter. Better shooter already. Otherwise I can see why the comparison was brought up.  But kid has a bit more tricks up his sleeves

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 10:37:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would pick him with the Celtics pick. He could be a quality player. If he's selected in the 20's I think it's great value.

I wouldn't select him with the Mavs pick because there are other high upside guys I'd rather see Boston target.

He is not going to be there in the 20s. That would be a steal

You need to use the mavs pick. Actually may need to add some picks with it to move up

You have to appreciate his strength , feel for game, motor in a 6'10 , 6'11 package.   Last time I checked this is above avg height for a PF in the NBA

Tell me who you think has more upside around 13-15?

I mean for example I'm a fan of Rabb. He is a better athlete. But he needs to add weight (which with jjj some players can never get much stronger).   Stone has a longer wingspan and is also a pretty strong kid. But lacks motor, can't shoot

These big guys for some teams maybe a better fit depending their system.but I find. Sabonis just a sweet fit under CBS(using the crowder test).  This def has to count for something

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Sabonis has been my guy as a late teens early 20s pick all year. High motor, high IQ, great rebounder, hits his FT's, strong and skilled. His dad could have been one of the greats if he was allowed to play in the NBA before his 30s, basketball is in this kid's blood.

Also, Idc if he's 6'10 in shoes. This is the most flawed and overused criticism in this forum. They ALL play in shoes, who cares?! As long as his wingspan is not shorter than his height, which it's not, he doesn't have T-rex arms. He just doesn't have elite length.

It all depends where the picks shake out, but if we end up with picks 16-18 and 26-28 I'd like to see Sabonis then Zizic/Zubac. If it's 11-14 and 21-25 I'd like to see Luwawu/Korkmaz then Sabonis.

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 11:08:14 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

You need to use the mavs pick. Actually may need to add some picks with it to move up

You have to appreciate his strength , feel for game, motor in a 6'10 , 6'11 package.   Last time I checked this is above avg height for a PF in the NBA

I mean for example I'm a fan of Rabb. He is a better athlete. But he needs to add weight (which with jjj some players can never get much stronger).   Stone has a longer wingspan and is also a pretty strong kid. But lacks motor, can't shoot

These big guys for some teams maybe a better fit depending their system.but I find. Sabonis just a sweet fit under CBS(using the crowder test).  This def has to count for something
Higher potential in that area: Deyonta Davis, Luwawu, Rabb.

I also prefer Valentine and Prince to Sabonis.

I like Sabonis' game but I'd rather they brought in a long player who can protect the rim, a good 3 point shooter or an athletic wing that can guard multiple positions. I see those as our biggest needs, not just in the short term but in the long term too.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 11:12:54 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He's got an awkward little jump shot, doesn't he? If it works for him, great. Looks kind of funny, though.

If he's got real 4 size but can move to stay with 3's on defense then he'll make it in the NBA. He looks like he's got great footwork and a good motor. He wingspan won't hurt his rebounding but it hurts him as a rim protector, which is why I think his ability to switch onto quicker forwards will be big.

Like others have said, he looks like a Danny guy. But it's hard to figure out where he fits into the rotation on this roster right now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Higher potential in that area: Deyonta Davis, Luwawu, Rabb.

I also prefer Valentine and Prince to Sabonis.

I like Sabonis' game but I'd rather they brought in a long player who can protect the rim, a good 3 point shooter or an athletic wing that can guard multiple positions. I see those as our biggest needs, not just in the short term but in the long term too.

we already have Mickey

Mickey and Sabonis in time is a nice balance