Author Topic: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis  (Read 70635 times)

I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:50:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
6'10.5" and 6'10.5" wingspan  240 pounds

Was iffy about this kid since last season.  But this season , I been nothing but impressed

you keep thinking man he has T-Rex arms like KO (6'10.5" wingspan).  He is going to have issues grabbing rebounds.  But he does not.   Just like his dad, he is real strong and can move you without much fuss.   On top of that has good quickness off the ground (nothing crazy),  top box out technique and a nose for the ball.   Has multiple 15 plus rebound games this season

A solid all around defender that can defend out to the perimeter but also defend near the post (versatility).    Not an offensive machine or anything but has some nice go to moves under the basket (spins, up and unders, avoids getting shot blocked) and has added a 3 pt shot to his repertoire  (shooting in general was a concern).   Put it this way, last season he was at 0 percent for 3 pt shooting and 66 percent at the FT line.  This season is shooting the 3 at 35 percent and 75 percent at the FT line. 

He has a good feel for the game and has good passing skills for a big guy.   Just top level motor and toughness.  High character. 

Do all these things not add up for a perfect fit under CBS?

Not stating if we get a top 5 pick to reach for Sabonis. But maybe he is the guy you try to move up with the 2nd 1st (using the many picks)  to try to grab.   

Highlights (double double)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e7aIuykVLE

Scouting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIU4_tyDo0
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:35:21 AM by triboy16f »

Re: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:01:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I like Sabonis and don't disagree that we should try to get him.

However, 5 makes on only 14 attempts all season , I'm not sure justifies the statement that he has added a 3 point shot to his repertoire.

35% seems impressive, but on 14 attempts, not so much.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:08:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I like Sabonis and don't disagree that we should try to get him.

However, 5 makes on only 14 attempts all season , I'm not sure justifies the statement that he has added a 3 point shot to his repertoire.

I agree. But from shooting at 0 percent to 35 is a pretty good start. Even if he didn't shoot alot of threes since his team needed his presence under the basket.   he shot alot more 15-17 ft jump shots this season too,  and has been pretty accurate also.  This is a guy who was reluctant to shoot any jump shots last season

Just like KO, he can refine his 3 pt shot. It looks good , little moving parts.   

I think he will be very good from the post in the NBA.  You can tell he has learned alot of tricks from his dad. Plus is really strong to move guys then execute his little tricks/make passes.  We are lacking a guy who can do this at the moment   

He can also stretch the floor or you need to keep an eye on him from the 3 pt line.   which is in line with what CBS likes out of his big man

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
forgot to mention

-he outplayed Poeltl a few days ago .  Just too strong, tough for Poeltl
-has lead his team to the sweet sixteen. 
- outstanding leadership.   

Like a Jae Crowder PF/C version imo.  Not the most athletic/explosive/quick guy.   But strong, incredible motor.   Other guys usually raise the white flag before he does.  Just a pain to play against

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 08:48:32 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think he'd be a pretty good bench player, if we go the "two max contracts for FAs route" and need bodies, he'd be a solid pick up.  Seems more NBA ready than a lot of the guys, but I don't think his ceiling is above average starter by any means

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Someone who has a similar skillset, not as good around the basket but better 3 point shooting is Ben Bentil.
He will go in the 2nd round and we'll have plenty of picks to try and get him.
I mentioned him in another thread, but this guy is another smaller big guy that could play a stretch PF/C and is very strong and tough around the basket with an excellent 3 point shot.
Reminds me of Draymond Green. He's not a rim protector but he's got potential on D.

38 last week vs Butler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yImjWzPEBbY

42 vs Marquette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SD5Xy8HnQY
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:20:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Someone who has a similar skillset, not as good around the basket but better 3 point shooting is Ben Bentil.
He will go in the 2nd round and we'll have plenty of picks to try and get him.
I mentioned him in another thread, but this guy is another smaller big guy that could play a stretch PF/C and is very strong and tough around the basket with an excellent 3 point shot.
Reminds me of Draymond Green. He's not a rim protector but he's got potential on D.

38 last week vs Butler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yImjWzPEBbY

42 vs Marquette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SD5Xy8HnQY

Not sure . Worthy of a look at the 2nd round

but he is no Sabonis.  He is not the rebounder/passer Sabonis is.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

If if he does shoot more, could he shoot worse than Sully a 25-93 or .269%? I think not.

Trouble is he will not rebound as well, I wager, but I think he can move better and his motor is a lot better than Sully.

Good article on him

http://upsidemotor.com/2016/01/21/domantas-sabonis-nba-draft-2016-gonzaga-scouting-report-lottery/

I think if he is there in the early  to mid 20s you have to think about it.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 09:23:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think he'd be a pretty good bench player, if we go the "two max contracts for FAs route" and need bodies, he'd be a solid pick up.  Seems more NBA ready than a lot of the guys, but I don't think his ceiling is above average starter by any means

isn't this the same exact same thing they said about Crowder lol

Sabonis is starting material imo.  And will be a pretty good one.  Like Crowder nothing crazy (20 and 10) but 15 and 9-10 + alot of hustle plays, emotional energy.  Lots of things done on the court not shown on the stat sheets.   

Danny has gone to see 2 Gonzaga games (I believe pretty recently).  Other than some 2nd round picks and Poeltl , Sabonis was prob the guy he was eyeing.  And I bet liked what he saw.  Just in line with what CBS is looking for these days in his players

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Just like some ppl I'm hoping Sabonis does not turn out to be the next Tyler Hansborough. But unlike hansborough , he is  close to 7 ft tall and has much more skills up his sleeves
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:48:18 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 09:33:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If if he does shoot more, could he shoot worse than Sully a 25-93 or .269%? I think not.

Trouble is he will not rebound as well, I wager, but I think he can move better and his motor is a lot better than Sully.

Good article on him

http://upsidemotor.com/2016/01/21/domantas-sabonis-nba-draft-2016-gonzaga-scouting-report-lottery/

I think if he is there in the early  to mid 20s you have to think about it.

I'm telling you, this rebounding scare has been there since his first year.   

This kid is really strong and can move you. Imagine he gets to put full time workouts at the gym.

I think his rebounding capability will translate to the NBA (think Charles Oakley who did not have good length/not explosive at all but used his smarts , strength and was a tough customer).  Plus sly post moves and worst case has a 3 pt shot that looks promising

I disagree sully has a weak motor. He does not.  He is just sluggish out there at times and does not have the top level conditioning you require. But he tries, especially when you watch him get the rebounds (for his size).   Guys with poor motor rely on their natural athletic abilities, don't run back consistently, take plays off, just kind look like they don't care. Not the way with Sully

Going back to Sabonis though,  man his energy and passion is second to none.  Kind of like Draymond Green and KG.  As the game gets more tiring this kids energy level just keep increasing. Like our own Crowder. 

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 10:25:43 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

Like a Jae Crowder PF/C version imo.  Not the most athletic/explosive/quick guy.   But strong, incredible motor.   Other guys usually raise the white flag before he does.  Just a pain to play against

I was on the fence about him until you said that. If that is true, I'll take him over poetl anyday

EDIT: it looks like you were right about your boy Mickey. I'll take the leap of faith you'll be right about Sabonis. I'm with you, Triboy.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 10:31:18 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Agreed with you Triboy, he's fighting for my #1 binkie position this year. We are talking Jordan Mickey type love for this guy.

The kid is so tough I actually heard him Growl last game vs Utah. His coach said toughest player he's ever coached.

.637 career Fg%
 .730 career Ft%
 .770 ft% this year

His shooting form Is fantastic. I too believe he becomes a good long range shooter with hard work.

A better shooting prospect than Smart lol.

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 11:39:10 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i loved him last year
and i still love him this year

i dont know why people had him going only in the top 25
He rebounds and shoots/scores well
i guess cause of his physical stats being mediocre but if you watch him play you know he can play

too bad his stock will rise probably into lottery conversation
i had him as a must have steal if taken in the bottom or mid of the 1st round

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 12:02:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
i loved him last year
and i still love him this year

i dont know why people had him going only in the top 25
He rebounds and shoots/scores well
i guess cause of his physical stats being mediocre but if you watch him play you know he can play

too bad his stock will rise probably into lottery conversation
i had him as a must have steal if taken in the bottom or mid of the 1st round

Stock rising . lotto bound already imo. 13-15

If he helps G to the elite 8 and beyond 9-12 range

He can play. I mean we know who his dad was. With a "broken" body  A. Sabonis was a special player.  It's not always of course the son is as good as dad. But Domantas has "it" .   just in a 6'10.5" vs 7'2' body