Author Topic: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread  (Read 93577 times)

Re: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread
« Reply #285 on: March 22, 2017, 01:32:07 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
TP, as always, for a good post. Added bonus: The site is loading so slowly that, by the time this post is up, I'll be eligible to give you another TP.

Interesting note: CLE's last two games are against Miami and Toronto, two teams on the bubble for their current seeds. True, much of that is likely to be sorted out by the last couple of games  but, if it's still close, CLE won't be able to rest starters those last couple of games.

Mike

Cleveland will rest their starters and sacrifice seeding if necessary.  The question is what do the Celtics do if they could grab the top seed?

Who owns the tie-breaker between Clev and us?

Currently Cleveland does due to beating us head to head 2 out of 3 times.

However, we have 1 more game against them in Boston, and ultimately whoever wins that game will more than likely have the tiebreaker. If Cleveland wins that game, then they get the tiebreaker outright. If Boston wins that game, then it's more likely that we'll have the tiebreaker in the event of a tie in regular season records.

This is because it goes to conference records after head to head matchups. Right now, they have a slight lead in the conference record at 30-11 compared to our 29-13. However, 11 of their final 13 games are against the East, and with Boston being 3 losses back of Cleveland, in the event of a tie it probably means that Cleveland lost against several Eastern Conference teams while Boston did well against them.

So if we want the number one seed and/or the tiebreaker, we'll almost certainly have to beat Cleveland in the final game, along with take care of business against virtually all of the remaining Eastern teams we face (IND, MIA, MIL, ORL, NYK, CLE, ATL, CHA, and BRK). It's definitely doable, but we'll have to play good ball the rest of the way and hope that Cleveland loses several more games the rest of the season.

Hey thanks for the info tp.  I did end up looking up the head to head and I knew we needed to win to tie and 2-2 with the Cavs.  With the way the Cavs have played lately, and them holding out guys for rest prior to the playoffs it isn't completely out of the question that we snag #1.  I guess either at 1 or 2 we still end up seeing Cleveland in the ECF if we get that far and that is probably what we wanted either way.  Too difficult to predict where everyone else will end up.  Just get on a roll going into the playoffs and take our chances.

« Reply #286 on: March 22, 2017, 01:56:48 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I want the 1 seed pretty badly. Dont think we will get it, but the way I see it, #1 seed could be a big big sell to a guy like Blake Griffin.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #287 on: March 22, 2017, 02:18:19 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I don't care where we are seated 1 or 8. We have a date with Lebron at some point whocares when it is.
ok fine

« Reply #288 on: March 22, 2017, 02:40:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I don't care where we are seated 1 or 8. We have a date with Lebron at some point whocares when it is.

I wanna watch as many Celtics game as possible so the longer we avoid them, the better.

« Reply #289 on: March 22, 2017, 03:09:14 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I wanna watch as many Celtics game as possible so the longer we avoid them, the better.

Who cares about LeBron. My only concern is getting past the first-round who could either be Indiana, Miami or Milwaukee. Next is playing Toronto whose proven to be a struggle for the C's to beat. If lucky the Celtics might get Washington who seem to struggle on the road.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #290 on: March 22, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
We have a chance at the tiltle, whatever small it is, I take it.
I only root for championship. 2nd is the first loser.
Go C's, make it happen!

« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I would prefer playing Hawks or Pacers. Heat and Bucks playing better lately.
It will be interesting to see how can change in the standings.

« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I want the 1 seed pretty badly. Dont think we will get it, but the way I see it, #1 seed could be a big big sell to a guy like Blake Griffin.

Yeah, that's the thing, though.

The number one seed is certainly a better selling point than the number two seed. However, if it sets us up for a potential second round matchup with Toronto rather than Washington, then that might be counterproductive, because getting to the ECF will be just as much of a free agent draw as getting the number one seed. I'm much more confident of getting past Washington (especially with HCA) in the second round than a fully healthy Toronto squad.

Ultimately, though, I think Toronto probably catches Washington for the three seed, so getting the one seed will definitely be important to try and avoid them and have Washington in the second round, all while assuring us HCA in the Eastern playoffs.

EDIT: I also don't want any part of a Milwaukee first round matchup either, because we've traditionally struggled with that team's length. I'll take any of Chicago, Detroit, or Miami for the first round, and Indiana wouldn't be too terrible either.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:40:55 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2017, 01:38:15 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Team            Record  Games Back

1. Cleveland     46-23    0
2. Boston        45-26    2
3. Washington 42-28    4.5

4. Toronto        42-29    5
5. Atlanta         37-33    9.5
6. Indiana         36-34    10.5
7. Milwaukee     35-35   11.5

8. Miami           35-36   12
9. Detroit         34-37    13
10. Chicago     33-38    14

Bold = games still yet to be played tonight/yet to be determined

Relevant Games:

Indiana at Boston

Atlanta at Washington

Detroit at Chicago

Cleveland at Denver

Milwaukee at Sacramento

Another big night for the Eastern playoffs race. There could be lots of movement tonight, too:

A Boston win and Cleveland loss puts us just 1 game back (2 losses) of Cleveland for the number one spot;

An Indiana loss and Milwaukee win puts Milwaukee at 6 and Indiana at 7;

A Milwaukee loss will put Milwaukee at 8 and move Miami to 7;

A Washington loss puts Toronto in the 3 spot;

A Bulls win and Pistons loss would put Chicago in the 9 spot and Detroit at the 10 spot.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:03:53 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Relevant Games:

Indiana at Boston

Atlanta at Washington

Detroit at Chicago

Cleveland at Denver

Milwaukee at Sacramento

Another big night for the Eastern playoffs race. There could be lots of movement tonight, too:

A Boston win and Cleveland loss puts us just 1 game back (2 losses) of Cleveland for the number one spot;

A Bulls win and Pistons loss would put Chicago in the 9 spot and Detroit at the 10 spot.

Sounds like an SAT question: Albert, Brenda, Charlie, David, Edward and Frank are standing in a line. Brenda is before Charlie but after Edward...

Assuming we maintain the tie-breaker against Washington, we're looking at a magic number of nine against them. Same with Toronto, for that matter, since they own the tie-breaker.

Mike

« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
The next 5 games are served up to the C's on a platter. Complacency will be the difference in whether they take care of business or not.

« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2017, 07:43:52 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Relevant Games:

Indiana at Boston

Atlanta at Washington

Detroit at Chicago

Cleveland at Denver

Milwaukee at Sacramento

Sounds like an SAT question: Albert, Brenda, Charlie, David, Edward and Frank are standing in a line. Brenda is before Charlie but after Edward...

Assuming we maintain the tie-breaker against Washington, we're looking at a magic number of nine against them. Same with Toronto, for that matter, since they own the tie-breaker.

Mike

Please stop making me laugh!  Half of your TP's come from me laughing at your razor sharp  wit; you make way too  much sense for this board.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2017, 09:53:58 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Denver up 14 on Cleveland late in the 2nd right now in Denver!

« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2017, 09:58:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Denver up 14 on Cleveland late in the 2nd right now in Denver!

Now down 20 lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
The 1 seed is there for the taking if they want it bad enough.