Author Topic: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread  (Read 93948 times)

Re: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread
« Reply #570 on: April 09, 2017, 11:00:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Further support for them falling to the 2 seed - would line them up for (most likely) Indy (3-1), Toronto (3-0), and then most likely Boston (3-1), which they're 9-2 against collectively.

If they retain the one seed, then they'll most likely play either Miami (1-2) or Chicago (0-4), Washington (2-1), and then Boston (3-1), which they're 6-8 against.

So it actually probably makes the most sense for them to rest their guys and take the second seed rather than play their guys and fight for the first seed.

EDIT: and that's if Atlanta doesn't beat Washington in the first round. If they do, then that would set up the number one seeded Cavs with the Hawks (1-3), which they do not want this year. So, yeah, the two seed actually gives them a much easier road through the East than the one seed.

who owns the tiebreakers between atl, indiana and milwaukee?

Hawks own tiebreaker with Bucks (virtue of 3-1 head to head record);

Hawks tied with Pacers for tiebreaker (1-1; play in the final game of the season against each other)

Milwaukee owns the tiebreaker over the Pacers (virtue of 3-1 head to head record);

Bulls also own the tiebreaker over the Pacers (virtue of tied head to head record, but better division record).

So essentially:

One more Hawks win guarantees them the fifth seed;

One more Bucks win guarantees them the sixth seed;

Two Pacers win guarantees them no lower than the seventh seed, though one loss and two Bulls wins either pushes them to 8 or out of the playoffs, depending upon how Miami does (they own tiebreaker over Indiana, too).

« Reply #571 on: April 10, 2017, 05:22:40 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Raptors and Wizards are 2-2.
In case of a tie, division winner decide.
Wizards won their division, Raptors isn't.
So why I keep hearing Raptors own the tiebreaker?

Please tell me what I'm missing.

« Reply #572 on: April 10, 2017, 06:21:09 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
right now i have no problem with the second seed, atlanta has our number IMHO. so basicly either way is fine, with #1 you get a potential home court in the finals but go against ATL, and with the #2 you avoid ATL and possibly lose home court in the conf finals.
The one great thing is that, LeBron is pushing 40 + mins night in night out, that stands out to me.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #573 on: April 10, 2017, 06:34:36 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Because Raptors won the series 2-1, it's not 2-2. They only played 3 times this season. And 2 times @ DC too.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #574 on: April 10, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

Because Raptors won the series 2-1, it's not 2-2. They only played 3 times this season. And 2 times @ DC too.

TP thanks.
2-2 is with a preseason game. That explains my mistake.

« Reply #575 on: April 10, 2017, 08:12:56 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
The more minutes you do anything , the more mistakes or accidents happen ...th odds multiply . Like riding a bike , eventually your going to slip up or wreck even if it's not your fault.

LeBron is pushing his luck playing 40 minutes a game every game this season nearly

To win first place he has to stay in the game against Raptors and Heat  that's two more potiental 40-45 min use games .  Then he has to face playing a Series with no easy opponents where he can sit on the bench and watch . 

He very well maybe pushing Father Time and Lady Luck too far.

« Reply #576 on: April 10, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #577 on: April 10, 2017, 02:01:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
http://www.fearthesword.com/2017/4/10/15246758/cleveland-cavaliers-rest-lebron-james-kevin-love-kyrie-irving-miami-heat

The Big 3 resting tonight in Miami! The number one seed is ours for the taking!

Of course, that means we're going to lose to Brooklyn now lol

« Reply #578 on: April 10, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Further support for them falling to the 2 seed - would line them up for (most likely) Indy (3-1), Toronto (3-0), and then most likely Boston (3-1), which they're 9-2 against collectively.

If they retain the one seed, then they'll most likely play either Miami (1-2) or Chicago (0-4), Washington (2-1), and then Boston (3-1), which they're 6-8 against.

So it actually probably makes the most sense for them to rest their guys and take the second seed rather than play their guys and fight for the first seed.

EDIT: and that's if Atlanta doesn't beat Washington in the first round. If they do, then that would set up the number one seeded Cavs with the Hawks (1-3), which they do not want this year. So, yeah, the two seed actually gives them a much easier road through the East than the one seed.

who owns the tiebreakers between atl, indiana and milwaukee?

Hawks own tiebreaker with Bucks (virtue of 3-1 head to head record);

Hawks tied with Pacers for tiebreaker (1-1; play in the final game of the season against each other)

Milwaukee owns the tiebreaker over the Pacers (virtue of 3-1 head to head record);

Bulls also own the tiebreaker over the Pacers (virtue of tied head to head record, but better division record).

So essentially:

One more Hawks win guarantees them the fifth seed;

One more Bucks win guarantees them the sixth seed;

Two Pacers win guarantees them no lower than the seventh seed, though one loss and two Bulls wins either pushes them to 8 or out of the playoffs, depending upon how Miami does (they own tiebreaker over Indiana, too).

TP! cleveland potentially resting (and now confirmed) was why i originally asked you the milwaukee tiebreakers, so as long as bucks win tonight they would stay in the 6th see so would rest on wednesday (because otherwise if they didn't own the TB then the would worry about dropping to 7th with cleveland in 2cd) , and we know toronto would throw the game to cleveland on friday if it helped cave stay in 1st
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:39:35 PM by matteo »

« Reply #579 on: April 10, 2017, 02:28:25 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Watching the Hawks success makes me think about the 2009 season. The year with KG out and some people were expecting LeBron to make it to the finals just to have Dwight and the Magics ruin the party...idk why but Dwight in Atlanta is giving me that impression. They have size, something that LeBron's team doesn't...it'll be interesting to see if they were to meet in the playoffs

« Reply #580 on: April 10, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
http://www.fearthesword.com/2017/4/10/15246758/cleveland-cavaliers-rest-lebron-james-kevin-love-kyrie-irving-miami-heat

You laugh ......but it seems the more gifts the Celtic team is given ......the WORSE they respond

This team does not work unless there is a do or die or mass urgency.

I don't trust them

« Reply #581 on: April 10, 2017, 04:39:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Team            Record  Games Back

1. Cleveland      51-29    0
2. Boston         51-29    0

3. Toronto        50-31    1.5
4. Washington  48-32    3  [Locked in as 4 seed]
5. Atlanta         42-38    9
6. Milwaukee     41-39    10
7. Indiana         40-40   11
8. Chicago         39-41   12
9. Miami            39-41   12

Bold = games still yet to be played tonight/yet to be determined

Brooklyn at Boston

Indiana at Philadelphia

Cleveland at Miami

Orlando at Chicago

Washington at Detroit

Charlotte at Milwaukee

Who to Root for: Boston win; Cleveland loss/Miami win; Indiana loss/Chicago win (pushes Chicago to 7th for the Cavs and Indy tied with Miami in 8th); Milwaukee win (seals them at no lower than 6th); Washington loss (just because screw them).

Big night tonight. We need a win and a Cleveland loss to reclaim the first seed, which looks probable in both games due to the Big 3 in Cleveland resting. We also need to be rooting hard for a Milwaukee win against Charlotte tonight and an Atlanta win against Charlotte tomorrow, which would seal Atlanta and Milwaukee at the 4 and 5, respectively, meaning probable rest for Milwaukee's guys on Wednesday. Kemba has been shut down for the rest of the season, so both of those wins look probable, too.

Though there is a thought that Atlanta could tank their way to 6th for a better playoff route. This year, they're 1-3 versus Washington, but they're 2-1 against Toronto. Further, they're 2-1 versus Boston, but they're 3-1 against Cleveland. So some have suggested that they'll tank their way to 6 and try to play Toronto in the first round rather than Washington. I don't really buy it, but it's something to keep an eye on.

The other games are interesting to note, too. Depending upon who your preferred first round matchup is (Indy, Chicago, or Miami) will depend upon who you want winning tonight. Wanting an Indiana matchup is tricky, because they don't own the tiebreaker with either Chicago or Miami, so getting in that 8 spot would be difficult. If you want a Chicago matchup, then you want both Indiana and Chicago to win tonight. If you want a Miami matchup, then you want Miami to win and one or both of Chicago or Indiana to lose.

So lots to root for still in this big night!

« Reply #582 on: April 10, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Brooklyn at Boston

Indiana at Philadelphia

Cleveland at Miami

Orlando at Chicago

Washington at Detroit

Charlotte at Milwaukee

Who to Root for: Boston win; Cleveland loss/Miami win; Indiana loss/Chicago win (pushes Chicago to 7th for the Cavs and Indy tied with Miami in 8th); Milwaukee win (seals them at no lower than 6th); Washington loss (just because screw them).

Big night tonight. We need a win and a Cleveland loss to reclaim the first seed, which looks probable in both games due to the Big 3 in Cleveland resting. We also need to be rooting hard for a Milwaukee win against Charlotte tonight and an Atlanta win against Charlotte tomorrow, which would seal Atlanta and Milwaukee at the 4 and 5, respectively, meaning probable rest for Milwaukee's guys on Wednesday. Kemba has been shut down for the rest of the season, so both of those wins look probable, too.

Though there is a thought that Atlanta could tank their way to 6th for a better playoff route. This year, they're 1-3 versus Washington, but they're 2-1 against Toronto. Further, they're 2-1 versus Boston, but they're 3-1 against Cleveland. So some have suggested that they'll tank their way to 6 and try to play Toronto in the first round rather than Washington. I don't really buy it, but it's something to keep an eye on.

The other games are interesting to note, too. Depending upon who your preferred first round matchup is (Indy, Chicago, or Miami) will depend upon who you want winning tonight. Wanting an Indiana matchup is tricky, because they don't own the tiebreaker with either Chicago or Miami, so getting in that 8 spot would be difficult. If you want a Chicago matchup, then you want both Indiana and Chicago to win tonight. If you want a Miami matchup, then you want Miami to win and one or both of Chicago or Indiana to lose.

How are they gonna tank for that? Sitting their starters? If that didn't work against the Cavs, it's definitely not gonna work against the Hornets
I'm bitter.

« Reply #583 on: April 10, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

looks much nicer now.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #584 on: April 10, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Brooklyn at Boston

Indiana at Philadelphia

Cleveland at Miami

Orlando at Chicago

Washington at Detroit

Charlotte at Milwaukee

How are they gonna tank for that? Sitting their starters? If that didn't work against the Cavs, it's definitely not gonna work against the Hornets

They were still trying to win that game, which wouldn't be the case here. If you told your players to tank for playoff positioning, they could get it done, and I think that's been done before, either through resting or purposeful rotation decisions.

But like I said, I don't see this coming to fruition or them even attempting to do this. They'll lock up the 5 seed tomorrow night, though, then again, knowing this Hawks team they could very well lose the game when trying to win it.