Author Topic: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread  (Read 93761 times)

Re: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2017, 11:35:39 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Clevland's schedule is brutal the rest of the way. Wizards, spurs, celtics, raptors, hawks 2x all left for them to play.We absolutely have a shot at the one seed.

« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2017, 11:35:45 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Some interesting numbers coming from 538 following todays games
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nba-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Definitely some interesting numbers. I like the 55% chance of getting the top seed from the Cs side, but I question the 3% at winning the championship from Cleveland's side...and we are at 7%.
I suspect the 3% odds for the Cavs might be due to their projected playoff opponents of the Bucks, Washington, and Boston. Bostons path to the finals is a bit easier based on their CARM-ELO numbers for our possible opponents of MIA and the Raptors

« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:29 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Clevland's schedule is brutal the rest of the way. Wizards, spurs, celtics, raptors all left for them to play.We absolutely have a shot at the one seed.
And they are on the tail end of a Back to back vs. Washington, Boston, and Miami. So there is a chance they rest players for those games. Plus they play the Raptors the last game of the season, and Toronto might still be battling for playoff position

« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Clevland's schedule is brutal the rest of the way. Wizards, spurs, celtics, raptors all left for them to play.We absolutely have a shot at the one seed.
And they are on the tail end of a Back to back vs. Washington, Boston, and Miami. So there is a chance they rest players for those games. Plus they play the Raptors the last game of the season, and Toronto might still be battling for playoff position

I'm starting to think they'll pretty much give up the number one seed to us and prioritize resting players on those back-to-backs rather than fight it out until the end, though after Silver's complaints I bet they're rested on non-national TV nights.

I just think it'll be really difficult for them to get their guys the rest they want AND keep the first seed. I just don't think they'll be able to do both, especially with how poorly they've been playing lately, specifically defensively.

« Reply #319 on: March 22, 2017, 11:55:01 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Some interesting numbers coming from 538 following todays games
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nba-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Definitely some interesting numbers. I like the 55% chance of getting the top seed from the Cs side, but I question the 3% at winning the championship from Cleveland's side...and we are at 7%.
I suspect the 3% odds for the Cavs might be due to their projected playoff opponents of the Bucks, Washington, and Boston. Bostons path to the finals is a bit easier based on their CARM-ELO numbers for our possible opponents of MIA and the Raptors

Cs had higher 538 odds for the title and lower chance for the top seed than the Cavs prior to tonight's win. That would seem to beg for a better explanation than who their EC playoff opponents might be. My guess is it was/is because of the Cs better road record. That being said, while i think the Cs are inching closer to be a real contender than I expected, I don't have them ahead of the reigning champs except in my sweet dreams.

« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
55% chance at the 1 seed, 7% chance at a title.

« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2017, 12:10:44 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I kinda like staying at no. 2 though. Id rather face the Wizards in the second round than the Raptors.

« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2017, 12:11:57 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

the issue is that if toronto is trying to stay out of 4th it would primarily be to avoid the cavs, which if toronto wins gives themselves the 3rd seed, but also drops cavs to 2cd toronto would be in a predicament-still facing cavs

« Reply #323 on: March 23, 2017, 12:52:15 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I kinda like staying at no. 2 though. Id rather face the Wizards in the second round than the Raptors.
Why fear thr Raptors?. We can beat em so long as we got our elite 10 healthy.

« Reply #324 on: March 23, 2017, 02:02:01 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
That is the mentality of someone with a lack of confidence.  Come on man, we are talking about the #1 seed!  We'd rather have home court advantage for game 7 vs. the Cavs!  Go C's!

« Reply #325 on: March 23, 2017, 03:02:21 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
That is the mentality of someone with a lack of confidence.  Come on man, we are talking about the #1 seed!  We'd rather have home court advantage for game 7 vs. the Cavs!  Go C's!

A fine line between "lack of confidence" and being "too overconfident" lol. There has been upsets before where the #8 seed stunned the #1 seed.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #326 on: March 23, 2017, 03:21:38 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

A fine line between "lack of confidence" and being "too overconfident" lol. There has been upsets before where the #8 seed stunned the #1 seed.

twice. and not since the 90's
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #327 on: March 23, 2017, 05:04:45 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Im looking at this from a matchup perspective. Historically we did better against the Wizards than the Raptors. The Cavs will be favored even if we end up being no. 1 seed though. Dont get me wrong, Im not one of those guys who think we have no chance, Im just saying these are the odds.

« Reply #328 on: March 23, 2017, 05:05:42 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
Why fear thr Raptors?. We can beat em so long as we got our elite 10 healthy.

Sure. But between the two, Id rather face the Wizards, get what I'm saying?

« Reply #329 on: March 23, 2017, 06:33:32 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

twice. and not since the 90's

The 2006 Dallas Mavericks say hi.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.