Author Topic: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread  (Read 93899 times)

Re: Celtics Playoff Seeding Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2016, 10:45:49 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
If Atlanta loses I believe in a 3 or 4 team tiebreaker division champ comes into play.

what?? please explain

We beat Mia and Atl loses.  Do we end up with 3rd place?

If ATL loses and we win, 3 teams are 48-34 (assuming the Hornets lose; if Hornets win and we lose, we're 6; we own the tie breaker over Charlotte if we both win.).

That is not a good scenario for us. Miami wins the division and ATL>us. Miami owns the tie breaker over ATL.

Mike

mindblown lol

We just have to win and grab 4th place then

It's like an SAT problem:

"Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte and Miami are all within a game of each other. Atlanta is ahead of Boston but trails Miami in the season series. Boston is tied with Miami and owns the season series over them, but Boston trails Atlanta..."

Heck, that would have been an even more perfect SAT question if Miami began with the letter "D."

Mike

« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2016, 10:46:37 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
So if ATL loses tomorrow we have no shot at 4th?

Correct. Weird, huh? We're hurt when the team ahead of us loses.

Mike

« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
You want the 3rd seed or the 6th if you can get it.  4 and 5 will play #1 in the next round.  The 3-6 teams are so even it really doesn't matter where you end up as long as you are away from Cleveland in the second round.  A series would be at least interesting with Toronto.  I don't think anyone is getting by Cleveland this year in the east.

« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2016, 11:52:39 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I can't imagine Atlanta losing to a Washington team tomorrow who has nothing to play for and will most likely rest all of their guys, so we just need to make sure to take care of business at home. And we should get an extra home court boost by all of the Celtics legends in the building tomorrow.

« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2016, 12:58:01 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Guys...can anyone help me with one thing. Everyone saying C's can be 4th, 5th or 6th seed. But if i understand correctly the NBA tie-break procedure we can be 3rd seed also...

http://www.nba.com/news/features/playoff.tiebreakers/

b. More Than Two Teams Tied
(1) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.

If we win against the Heat, Charlotte beats Orlando and Atlanta lose in Washington, then all 4 teams would have the same record 48-34.

On NBA.com it says that if its a tie with more that 2 teams you look up for better winning percentage in ALL games among the tied teams.

So we have then: ATL-BOS 3-1, ATL-MIA 1-3, ATL-CHA 3-1. Atlanta cumulative score 7-5, winning percentage 58,3%
For Boston: BOS-ATL 1-3, BOS-MIA 3-0, BOS-CHA 2-1. Boston cumulative score 6-4, winning percentage 60,0%
Miami: MIA-ATL 3-1, MIA-BOS 0-3, MIA-CHA 2-2. Miami cumulative score 5-6, winning percentage 45,4%
Charlotte: CHA-ATL 1-3, CHA-BOS 1-2, CHA-MIA 2-2, Hornets cumulative score 4-7, winning percentage 36,4%

So in that scenario, Celtics would get 3rd, Hawks 4th, Heat 5th and Hornets 6th seed.

This is all my math and my understanding of nba tie-breaking procedure.
But no one in US media noticed that Celtics can be 3rd seed...so please guys can someone prove me wrong? Did i miss anything?

Thanks, greetings from Croatia
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2016, 01:01:40 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Guys...can anyone help me with one thing. Everyone saying C's can be 4th, 5th or 6th seed. But if i understand correctly the NBA tie-break procedure we can be 3rd seed also...

If we win against the Heat, Charlotte beats Orlando and Atlanta lose in Washington, then all 4 teams would have the same record 48-34.

On NBA.com it says that if its a tie with more that 2 teams you look up for better winning percentage in ALL games among the tied teams.

So we have then: ATL-BOS 3-1, ATL-MIA 1-3, ATL-CHA 3-1. Atlanta cumulative score 7-5, winning percentage 58,3%
For Boston: BOS-ATL 1-3, BOS-MIA 3-0, BOS-CHA 2-1. Boston cumulative score 6-4, winning percentage 60,0%
Miami: MIA-ATL 3-1, MIA-BOS 0-3, MIA-CHA 2-2. Miami cumulative score 5-6, winning percentage 45,4%
Charlotte: CHA-ATL 1-3, CHA-BOS 1-2, CHA-MIA 2-2, Hornets cumulative score 4-7, winning percentage 36,4%

So in that scenario, Celtics would get 3rd, Hawks 4th, Heat 5th and Hornets 6th seed.

But no one in US media noticed that Celtics can be 3rd seed...so please guys can someone prove me wrong? Did i miss anything?

Hawks own tiebreaker over Celtics tops all argument I think.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2016, 01:06:24 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford

Hawks own tiebreaker over Celtics tops all argument I think.

But there isn't two team but four team tie-breaker...in that logic Heat own tiebreaker over Hawks.
Is it because Hawks or Heat will be divisional winners? Didn't the NBA change the rule that divisional leader must be top 3 seed?

« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2016, 01:38:33 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
b. More Than Two Teams Tied. In the case of a tie in regular-season records involving more than two teams, the following criteria will be utilized in the following order:
(1) Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division).
(2) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.

Yep...divisional winners are first tie-breakers

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2016, 01:55:35 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Call me crazy but if the goal is building "buzz" I think we'd be better off playing the first round on the road...and then winning that series. That'd be newsworthy much like the GSW win was, and seems like the kind of thing that'd help us with FAs.

And who knows. If we do that and then take CLE to 6 or TOR to 7 then we'd be media darlings given our lack of stars. It'd be a huge improvement over the first-round spanking we suffered last year.

« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2016, 02:29:25 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I can't imagine Atlanta losing to a Washington team tomorrow who has nothing to play for and will most likely rest all of their guys, so we just need to make sure to take care of business at home. And we should get an extra home court boost by all of the Celtics legends in the building tomorrow.
If Atlanta shuts everybody down to take the L would it lock them into a matchup with us?

They killed us pretty bad why wouldn't they do this?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2016, 02:55:55 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Ok so can someone explain this to me?

Is there a way for us to play Miami as the home court team? Would it require a win against them? Bc if we can beat them tomorrow I'll feel more confident we could beat them again in a playoff series.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2016, 03:01:21 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Is there a way for us to play Miami as the home court team? Would it require a win against them? Bc if we can beat them tomorrow I'll feel more confident we could beat them again in a playoff series.

if we beat miami and atlanta wins then we have HC against miami

« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2016, 03:06:25 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

if we beat miami and atlanta wins then we have HC against miami

And Atlanta probably will win right? Wizards have nothing to play for. I guess the burden is on us. Thanks. TP
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2016, 03:07:02 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I wouldn't worry much about seeding. The fact is that Miami is a much better team since Johnson is there. They can finally spread the floor and Johnson is killing at the 3 pts line.
Charlotte get it together and are since the all star break the BEST team in the EAST.
Atlanta produces at a high level, they have no flaws.
You pick your poison!

We have a chance vs any of them, but it's all about us and our hustle on defense. It has been a couple of month that we didn't play hustle defense, let's face it.

Playoff is another style of BBall, hopefully we get it together at the right time.
Go celtics!

« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2016, 03:07:02 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
If Atlanta shuts everybody down to take the L would it lock them into a matchup with us?

They killed us pretty bad why wouldn't they do this?

if atlanta loses , in 3 out of 4 subsequent scenarios we play them as the 5 and they are the 4 seed.  in the last scenario atlanta would play charlotte ....so them losing on purpose wouldnt guarantee playing us and furthermore they would have cleveland in the second round