Author Topic: Official Celtics Predictions!  (Read 6939 times)

Re: Official Celtics Predictions!
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Looks like my pick of 52 wins is still in play.

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Since the season starts today, I thought it'd be fun for everyone to post their final predictions for this season regarding the Celtics. Specifically, let's hear your predictions for the Celtics this season, and we can come back to this at the end of the year to see how close everyone was. I'll post mine along with the categories below:

Overall Record - (59 - 23)

Final Standing in the East - (1st in the East - yeah I went there; Cavs championship hangover)

All-Stars - (IT and Horford - at least one of which is a starter) -> Lots of people thought

All-Defensive Team(s) - (2 of Bradley, Horford, and Crowder make it onto one of the teams, with Smart also receiving strong consideration)

All-NBA Team(s) - (Horford makes All-NBA 3rd Team)

Coach of the Year Award - (Brad Stevens wins it - he's definitely due)

Any Other League-Wide Award - (One or both of Smart and Rozier will receive significant consideration for the 6th Man of the Year Award and Most Improved Award, but neither will win it)

Trades - (Boogie (and Collison) comes to Beantown at the trade deadline for Amir, Brown, Rozier, 2017 Brooklyn Swap Pick, 2019 Memphis Pick, and some future swap rights with Boston)

Playoff Success - (We lose in the Eastern Conference Finals to the Cavs in Game 7 in Boston after Lebron pulls off another Herculean feat, reminding everyone of Game 6 of the 2012 ECF)

That's right - #TeamOptimistic. What are your predictions?

Hey, I told you guys we were going to get the number one seed all along, even if I was a bit off on the record!  ;) ;D

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2017, 04:16:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
One more for me: Al averages at least 17 points and 9 rebounds per game.

Seems like the vast majority of us pegged Al for a much better season, even though he's played pretty well for the most part. No All-Star. No All-NBA Team. No All-Defensive Team.

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Since the season starts today, I thought it'd be fun for everyone to post their final predictions for this season regarding the Celtics. Specifically, let's hear your predictions for the Celtics this season, and we can come back to this at the end of the year to see how close everyone was. I'll post mine along with the categories below:

Overall Record - (59 - 23)

Final Standing in the East - (1st in the East - yeah I went there; Cavs championship hangover)

All-Stars - (IT and Horford - at least one of which is a starter) -> Lots of people thought

All-Defensive Team(s) - (2 of Bradley, Horford, and Crowder make it onto one of the teams, with Smart also receiving strong consideration)

All-NBA Team(s) - (Horford makes All-NBA 3rd Team)

Coach of the Year Award - (Brad Stevens wins it - he's definitely due)

Any Other League-Wide Award - (One or both of Smart and Rozier will receive significant consideration for the 6th Man of the Year Award and Most Improved Award, but neither will win it)

Trades - (Boogie (and Collison) comes to Beantown at the trade deadline for Amir, Brown, Rozier, 2017 Brooklyn Swap Pick, 2019 Memphis Pick, and some future swap rights with Boston)

Playoff Success - (We lose in the Eastern Conference Finals to the Cavs in Game 7 in Boston after Lebron pulls off another Herculean feat, reminding everyone of Game 6 of the 2012 ECF)

That's right - #TeamOptimistic. What are your predictions?

Hey, I told you guys we were going to get the number one seed all along, even if I was a bit off on the record!  ;) ;D

Without intending to start a debate about Boogie, I must say I'm glad your predicted trade of Jaylen, the Brooklyn pick, Memphis pick, and other pieces for Boogie didn't occur.

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
55-27
2 seed.

Lose in 6 to Cavs ECF.
A bit off.

a little more injury luck and I coulda been spot on.

We should win out, 2 games off isnt bad.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
prediction:
-C's win 53 games.  3rd in East.  Behind Cleveland and Indy.
-AB in top 3 voting for DPOY
-Brown in top 3 for ROY despite limited minutes due to depth of team
-Rozier makes the leap -- becomes clearcut back up to IT -- looks like his successor as starter when IT looks to hit payday in 2 years.
-Smart and KO will be improved but they'll be the new whipping boys here in Sully's absence for not improving more

EDIT:  C's get out of first round but get knocked out in second round.  progress but not enough to satisfy the faithful.  blame is cast on a young bench that cannot score enough and IT getting exposed as a weak link on D by the opposing PGs in the playoffs
Let's see how I did:
-C's win 53 games.  3rd in East.  Behind Cleveland and Indy.  --> # of wins will be spot on if C's beat the Bucks tomorrow.  Ranking in East is a little off.  Cleveland should have been better than their record.  missed on Indy badly though.
-AB in top 3 voting for DPOY  --> not likely to happen with all the time he's missed and some valid arguments his D may have regressed a bit
-Brown in top 3 for ROY despite limited minutes due to depth of team  --> we'll see but top 3 would be a longshot.  still looks like a top rookie from this draft class 
-Rozier makes the leap -- becomes clearcut back up to IT -- looks like his successor as starter when IT looks to hit payday in 2 years.  --> missed here.  Rozier went from a promising prospect last year to one where we'd be happy if he becomes a consistant contributor
-Smart and KO will be improved but they'll be the new whipping boys here in Sully's absence for not improving more    --> Smart and KO improved somewhat but I really nailed the whipping boy treatment they got this year.  I don't think any other player on the team has been verbally bashed anywhere near what these 2 have received.

EDIT:  C's get out of first round but get knocked out in second round.  progress but not enough to satisfy the faithful.  blame is cast on a young bench that cannot score enough and IT getting exposed as a weak link on D by the opposing PGs in the playoffs  -->  still to be seen.  young bench has been a concern down the stretch as has IT's D with the PGs on other teams going at him on offense.  We'll have to see if this continues in the playoffs.  if the C's get Chicago in the first round and they start Rondo, he may not score over IT but I think his passing ability will pose a problem as he goes over IT frequently

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2017, 02:48:55 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Non-Celts prediction: Pacers are a 6-10 seed

I don't get the optimism.

Proud of this one.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
One more for me: Al averages at least 17 points and 9 rebounds per game.

Seems like the vast majority of us pegged Al for a much better season, even though he's played pretty well for the most part. No All-Star. No All-NBA Team. No All-Defensive Team.

Yeah, I was way off on this one. I obviously didn't see superstar Isaiah coming either.  I did have the Celtics at 54-28, though, so that was close.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2017, 06:42:49 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Overall Record - 54-28

Final Standing in the East - 2nd in the East (5th in the league)

All-Stars - IT and Horford
So far, not bad. Overshot the record by one but undershot the playoff seeding. But I guess most of us had them in the 52-54 range.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008