Poll

Should CelticsBlog restrict scores, identifying the winner, etc. in thread titles?

Yes, lots of fans DVR games and then watch later;
24 (38.7%)
No, by coming to a basketball forum you risk being "spoiled"
38 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?  (Read 25024 times)

Re: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2016, 02:03:19 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I live in Australia. If am working or out from 9 until 5 pm, and the game was on at 10 am my local time, I now must avoid Celticsblog all day because triboy needs to put the results of a 'big game' in his thread title. I can't see any rumor updates, I can't talk about trade ideas, until I watch the game I wanted to watch.
So now I'll just wait until I get home at 5pm, watch the game, and then go on Celticsblog to add my thoughts/input to the community.
No thanks.

If there was some idiot who posted a "buy low" thread every time a player he coveted had a bad game, would you be upset if you clicked on a thread speculating about getting Harrison Barnes and it cited going 3-10 with 8 points in a loss to the Spurs as a reason he might be available?

No, i just don't  want to see results in a thread title.
I'm assuming  most posters would also title the thread 'Barnes has bad game shoots x from x' and I'd assume that the game result might be in there.
Just thread titles so we don't see results from the forum menu.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I don't have a problem leaving results out of thread titles so as to help our overseas brethren but to not talk results in a game thread is just not going to happen nor should it.

Agreed
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2016, 09:44:35 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
This is why democracy is terrible.

Mods should just make the decision based on what's fair and good for every individual, not what the majority, who can't grasp that this is strictly in reference to thread titles, decides.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »

Offline winstonkirk

• NCE
  • Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
As someone living overseas, please don't do this on my behalf. If you live overseas you have to deal with all kinds of inconveniences. It comes with the territory. Does this little thing really mean that much to you? Is it really worth the extra time and effort of other people, volunteers I assume, to moderate it?

The admittedly modest proposal can creep. Today it is other teams' scores, tomorrow... who knows. Sometimes I can't watch a game for 5-6 days. Should other people be restricted in what they can say for a week because I can't get a decent internet connection? Roy says those things aren't under consideration, but Celtics related spoilers in titles, threads etc are worse than other teams'. How long before that is the topic of discussion if this proposal is implemented?

Like I said, don't do this for me. If you want to help me, explain how I can get urine/feces stains out of marble because the monkeys who climb on my balcony confuse it for a toilet.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:44:53 AM by winstonkirk »

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This is why democracy is terrible.

Mods should just make the decision based on what's fair and good for every individual, not what the majority, who can't grasp that this is strictly in reference to thread titles, decides.

To clarify, we don't make our decisions based upon votes. Sometimes, though, hearing the opinions of others gives us new perspective.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2016, 12:43:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I hadn't found the time to respond to this thread til now, but as a long time a recorder of games of games who has balanced the needs of family and work with diminishing time for watching sports, I can say it is very possible to stay "in the dark" on the results of games with minimal effort.  Yes, I've shut my eyes and plugged ears, and given disclaimers to company, waiters, friends and foes alike to "please not inform me updates on such and such game".  That said, I understand that if I do happen to catch a glimpse of the desired unknown, it's not the end of the world and merely displays the limits of my modern media reality.   

I don't particularly have a problem with there being restrictions on putting scores in the title, but it does come across as a wee bit self centered to request others to conform to my needs when it's fairly easily avoidable.

Yup

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2016, 12:48:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
As someone living overseas, please don't do this on my behalf. If you live overseas you have to deal with all kinds of inconveniences. It comes with the territory. Does this little thing really mean that much to you? Is it really worth the extra time and effort of other people, volunteers I assume, to moderate it?

The admittedly modest proposal can creep. Today it is other teams' scores, tomorrow... who knows. Sometimes I can't watch a game for 5-6 days. Should other people be restricted in what they can say for a week because I can't get a decent internet connection? Roy says those things aren't under consideration, but Celtics related spoilers in titles, threads etc are worse than other teams'. How long before that is the topic of discussion if this proposal is implemented?

Like I said, don't do this for me. If you want to help me, explain how I can get urine/feces stains out of marble because the monkeys who climb on my balcony confuse it for a toilet.

You cant get away from with that post without being asked, where do you live, and why did you build a marbled balcony haven in the jungle? ;D

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

life is hard. have you tried toilet training them? or perhaps diapers?  ;)

in lieu of those:

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/111918

http://stoneandtilepros.com/kb/article/urine-on-polished-marble-near-toilet-147.html

http://www.countertopspecialty.com/dog-urine-stains-on-marble-tile.html
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva