Author Topic: DJ Augustin: Perfect young vet backup PG for cheap as a FA  (Read 3471 times)

Re: DJ Augustin: Perfect young vet backup PG for cheap as a FA
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 10:59:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'll be.  I missed the part where I insinuated that is ALL we should do or where I said this was most important!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

And yet your posting this like it is a presenting need, now you play the sarcasm card, after you ask us what we think.   

That is so funny on so many levels also demonstrates your folly.

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 11:06:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
As others have said, no thanks.  We already have 5-6 backcourt players under contract next year.  Furthermore, Evan Turner has a cap hold of $4.4 million.  I'd much rather use the $4-5 million of cap space you suggest for Augustin and try to instead allocate it to Turner in the form of the Early Bird exception.

Maybe if one of Rozier or Smart were traded, and we didn't pick up another PG in the draft with one of our 8 picks, and Turner walked -- maybe then I would be fine with offering him the room exception of $2.9 million.  But he should be like plan Q for this team.

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
DJ would be a perfect backup PG for our team.  He is a young vet and he is quite proficient from three and has a very solid assist / turnover ratio.

We should be able to get him for around 4 to 5 million next year.

Thoughts?

Smitty77

We need a lot more then a point guard.  But with Thomas as our starter, Smart being the future point guard or starter if Thomas becomes our 6th man again.  Plus Rozier in the wing as much as I hate him, why would we go after a point guard.  Specially when Celtics have talked about resigning Turner who I would much rather have then Augustin even if it's paying him 8 million a year because he has way more value.  Also if I'm personally going to say go after another point guard I could think of other players I would rather.  Lawson being one since I think in the Boston scene he would get a second chance as we did with Turner. 

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 01:36:23 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
As others have said, no thanks.  We already have 5-6 backcourt players under contract next year.  Furthermore, Evan Turner has a cap hold of $4.4 million.  I'd much rather use the $4-5 million of cap space you suggest for Augustin and try to instead allocate it to Turner in the form of the Early Bird exception.

Maybe if one of Rozier or Smart were traded, and we didn't pick up another PG in the draft with one of our 8 picks, and Turner walked -- maybe then I would be fine with offering him the room exception of $2.9 million.  But he should be like plan Q for this team.

I think Bradley will go in a package to Sac for Cousins.  If not, I still think AB does not have a long-term future with what will become a contender in Boston as early as NEXT year.

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 06:15:12 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
DJ is unnecessary considering our logjam at the PG position
We already have smart as backup
And are struggling getting playing time for Rozier

I would have thought that the Celtics and Celtics' fans would have learned by now to NOT try to make a college SG into a PG.  We tried with Marcus Banks, Avery Bradley (incessantly before FINALLY realizing he is NOT a PG), and now Smart and Rozier.  None of them were true PG's in college, but we thought that our magical coaching ability could make them flip the switch and become PG's!!  It didn't work and it rarely, if ever, does!!!!

DJ is a PG, plain and simple.  Is he elite?  No.  We would be getting him to be the best or one of the best backup PG's in the league. 

Smitty77

Since when was TRoz not a PG? He's a rookie who just put up 8 assists a game in the d-league, and has averaged over 9 assists per 36 over his last 8 NBA games. And he'd become the primary ball-handler in his second year at Kentucky.

TRoz is gonna be da bomb!

Since he ONLY averaged 1.8 assists and 3.0 assists for Louisville and averaged ONLY 2.4 assists for the Cardinals. 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/terry-rozier-1.html

Since he was a SG while at Louisville!!  I don't care what stats someone puts up in the NBADL.  (See Fab Melo and his NBADL stats for reference!!)

Smitty77

What Fab's stats have to do with demonstrating TRoz's role escape me, but somehow you find college stats more telling while ignoring actual, well, role:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terry-Rozier-58730/