Author Topic: DJ Augustin: Perfect young vet backup PG for cheap as a FA  (Read 3464 times)

DJ Augustin: Perfect young vet backup PG for cheap as a FA
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:16:47 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
DJ would be a perfect backup PG for our team.  He is a young vet and he is quite proficient from three and has a very solid assist / turnover ratio.

We should be able to get him for around 4 to 5 million next year.

Thoughts?

Smitty77

Re: DJ Augustin: Perfect young vet backup PG for cheap as a FA
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Pg current spot:
Isiah
Marcus
Ropier

Proven offensive force, all star guard.  Potential and one of the best defensive guards I've seen in decades.  Rozier potential and rookie contract.  Add in Evan Turner for good measure

DJ is solid.  Do we need him??   All the years we basically had NO backup for rondo I would have welcomed him to Boston.  Now I'm not so sure that he adds what we need.  15 man roster

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 08:34:03 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Someone just watched the Denver Charlotte game lol.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:44:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Not a fan. Terrible defender. Undependable offensive player. Can be taken out of games by bigger defenders. Not someone playoff teams should be dependent on. A fine 3rd string PG but too dodgy to be depended on for regular minutes in the playoffs. 

Bad pairing with I.Thomas at PG also. Two pint-sized PGs who don't play defense.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:07:31 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I agree with OP.

He started for Detroit for a while last year and was awesome.
Would be an excellent back up pg.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 09:12:40 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If we were a contender, sure.

But as we stand now, give the minutes to Rozier.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:26:51 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Pg current spot:
Isiah
Marcus
Ropier

Proven offensive force, all star guard.  Potential and one of the best defensive guards I've seen in decades.  Rozier potential and rookie contract.  Add in Evan Turner for good measure

DJ is solid.  Do we need him??   All the years we basically had NO backup for rondo I would have welcomed him to Boston.  Now I'm not so sure that he adds what we need.  15 man roster

The problem with that argument is that NEITHER Smart or Rozier are PG's!!  And we likely could lose ET, who is a SG/SF that operates are our backup PG.

Smitty77

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 10:30:58 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Pg current spot:
Isiah
Marcus
Ropier

The problem with that argument is that NEITHER Smart or Rozier are PG's!!  And we likely could lose ET, who is a SG/SF that operates are our backup PG.

Smitty77

Smart might not be a PG, but I'm not sure how Rozier could be like a SG or something. He's CLEARLY a point guard.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 11:59:35 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
DJ is unnecessary considering our logjam at the PG position
We already have smart as backup
And are struggling getting playing time for Rozier

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 05:30:17 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I would have thought that the Celtics and Celtics' fans would have learned by now to NOT try to make a college SG into a PG.  We tried with Marcus Banks, Avery Bradley (incessantly before FINALLY realizing he is NOT a PG), and now Smart and Rozier.  None of them were true PG's in college, but we thought that our magical coaching ability could make them flip the switch and become PG's!!  It didn't work and it rarely, if ever, does!!!!

DJ is a PG, plain and simple.  Is he elite?  No.  We would be getting him to be the best or one of the best backup PG's in the league. 

Smitty77

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 05:45:51 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I would have thought that the Celtics and Celtics' fans would have learned by now to NOT try to make a college SG into a PG.  We tried with Marcus Banks, Avery Bradley (incessantly before FINALLY realizing he is NOT a PG), and now Smart and Rozier.  None of them were true PG's in college, but we thought that our magical coaching ability could make them flip the switch and become PG's!!  It didn't work and it rarely, if ever, does!!!!

DJ is a PG, plain and simple.  Is he elite?  No.  We would be getting him to be the best or one of the best backup PG's in the league. 

Smitty77

Since when was TRoz not a PG? He's a rookie who just put up 8 assists a game in the d-league, and has averaged over 9 assists per 36 over his last 8 NBA games. And he'd become the primary ball-handler in his second year at Kentucky.

TRoz is gonna be da bomb!

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
DJ would be a perfect backup PG for our team.  He is a young vet and he is quite proficient from three and has a very solid assist / turnover ratio.

Thoughts?

Smitty77

I think we have bigger problems than a backup PG.   Gimme a break.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

Since when was TRoz not a PG? He's a rookie who just put up 8 assists a game in the d-league, and has averaged over 9 assists per 36 over his last 8 NBA games. And he'd become the primary ball-handler in his second year at Kentucky.

TRoz is gonna be da bomb!

Since he ONLY averaged 1.8 assists and 3.0 assists for Louisville and averaged ONLY 2.4 assists for the Cardinals. 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/terry-rozier-1.html

Since he was a SG while at Louisville!!  I don't care what stats someone puts up in the NBADL.  (See Fab Melo and his NBADL stats for reference!!)

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 10:19:48 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Thoughts?

Smitty77

I think we have bigger problems than a backup PG.   Gimme a break.

I'll be.  I missed the part where I insinuated that is ALL we should do or where I said this was most important!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The last thing we need is another guard on this team. And the team doesn't need a pure backup PG. Smart, Rozier, or Turner can handle it when Isaiah is off the court.