Author Topic: Celtics (39-30) at Sixers (9-60) Game #70 3/20/16  (Read 23309 times)

Celtics (39-30) at Sixers (9-60) Game #70 3/20/16
« on: March 19, 2016, 05:55:39 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (39-30) at Philadelphia 76ers (9-60)
Regular Season Game #70, Road Game #35
Sunday, March 20, 2016
6:00 PM ET
TV: CSNNE, CSN-PHI, NBA-LP 753(DTV)/756 (Xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 97.5 The Fanatic
Wells Fargo Center

Probable Starters

PG Isaiah Thomas....... SG: Avery Bradley

C:  Jared Sullinger

SF: Evan Turner  .............. PF: Amir Johnson

Celtics Reserves

RJ Hunter
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
David Lee
Kelly Olynyk
Marcus Smart

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Injuries
Jae Crowder (ankle)  out
Jonas Jerebko (ankle/Achilles)  out

Probable Starters

PG:  Ish Smith................. SG:  Isaiah Canaan 

C:  Nerlens Noel

SF: Hollis Thompson.............. PF: Jerami Grant

Sixers Reserves
Elton Brand
TJ McConnell
Sonny Weems
Nik Stauskas
Carl Landry
Kendall Marshall

Head Coach
Brett Brown

Injuries
Joel Embiid (foot)  out
Robert Covington (concussion) out
Richuan Holmes (Achilles) out
Jahlil Okafor (knee) out

Game Notes

The reeling Celtics may have the prescription for what ails them as they pay a visit to the league worst Philadelphia 76ers.   Like the Celtics, the Sixers have lost 4 straight, but they have also lost 17 of their last 18 game.  Their only two wins since Jan. 27 have come against Brooklyn, the second-worst team in the East.  The Celtics have dropped to 16-18 on the road, while the Sixers are just 6-29 at home. 

The Sixers have struggled even more than usual since losing their top rookie, Jahlil Okafor, who was averaging 17.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game.  For the Celtics, when Jae Crowder went down, the Celtics had had won 17 of 22 and were 3rd in the East, just 4.5 games out of 2nd.  Since that,  the Celtics have dropped 4 straight and  are hoping to avoid their longest losing streak all season with a win in this game. 

Evan Turner is returning to Philly to play the team that drafted him second overall in the 2010 draft.  He played for the Sixers from 2010 to 2014 and was much maligned there for never living up to the expectations they had for a number 2 pick.  He was soundly booed in his past games there.  He was moved into the starting lineup against the Raptors and will probably start at the three again in this game.  He had 11 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 assists against the Sixers in his last game here in January. 

The Sixers have Robert Covington (concussion), Joel Embiid (foot), Richaun Holmes (Achilles), and Jahlil Okafor (knee) out.   The Celtics are missing their heart and soul, Jae Crowder,  for the fourth straight game with a high ankle sprain.  Jonas Jerebko will miss his 3rd straight game with an ankle/Achilles injury.   Kelly Olynyk will be playing his 3rd game back and is still working his way back to game shape. 

The Celtics 4 game losing streak has dropped them from 3rd down into 5th place in the East.  After losses by Indiana and Charlotte and wins by Atlanta and Miami on Saturday night, the Celtics are now 1.5 games behind Atlanta (3), and 1 game behind Miami (4).  They are tied with Charlotte who are in 6th because the Celtics own the tie breaker.  They are 3 games ahead of Indiana, who are 7th. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Jared Sullinger vs Nerlens Noel
The Sixers are missing their young talented center but Nerlens Noel is playing center now and is also dangerous.    Noel led all rookies in rebounding (8.1), steals (1.77) and blocks (1.89) last season.  The only other rookie to average more than 1.5 blocks and 1.5 steals was David Robinson. He is averaging 11.3 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks per game.   He could be a tough matchup for the Celtics and Jared will need to keep him away from the paint and the boards. 

vs
Isaiah Thomas vs Ish Smith
The Sixers have been playing much better since signing Ish Smith to play point guard.  Smith is listed at 6'0" and, like Thomas, is a spark plug on the court.  Smith is averaging 12.5 points, 3.6 rebounds, 6.5 assists, and 1.2 steals per game.  This should be a fun matchup to watch. 

Honorable Mention
Marcus Smart vs Nik Stauskas
Stauskas has been playing very well for the Sixers off the bench as they have given him more opportunities to prove himself in recent games.  He is averaging 8 points, 2.4 rebounds, and 1.8 assists as well as shooting 34% from beyond the arc  off the bench for the Sixers.  He is coming off a season high 23 points and 3 steals against the Thunder on Friday.  Assuming Smart goes back to his role off the bench, he will need to limit Stauskas' impact on the game while trying to make an impact himself for the Celtics. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtic have struggled with their defense recently but got back to playing good defense against the Raptors in the 3rd quarter on Friday.   Defense wins games and the Celtics must get back to making defense their priority and to playing tough defense as a team. 

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team and go after all the loose balls, and aggressively go after rebounds, and be aggressive on defense. They also have to be aggressive in taking the ball into the paint.  The more aggressive team will usually get the benefit of the whistles.   When they are the more aggressive team, they are tough to beat.  During their 4 game losing streak, aside from Friday's 3rd quarter, the Celtics have played tentatively and have been hesitant on both ends of the court. 

Move the Ball - The Celtics have shown beautiful ball movement at times and they have been able to make the extra pass and find the open man to get the best shot.   But  at times, their assist levels have dropped and they play more one on one and take quick shots.   Hero ball rarely wins games.  They also seem to have lost their confidence and they need to get that back and get back to playing Celtics basketball. 

Run- The Celtics aren't quite as deep as they were with Jae and Jonas playing, but they still have good depth and they are young and so there is no excuse not to run on every possession.  They are at their best when they are getting down court quickly and getting open shots before the defenses can set up as well as running back on defense to prevent easy baskets on the other end.  Run! Run! Run! 

Focus - The Celtics need to make their shots.  It is a mystery how a team can shoot 58% in one game and then be unable to hit a shot in the next game.   The Celtics were third in the league in scoring from Jan. 15-March. 9 at 111.7 points per game.  Over the past 4 games, they are averaging 99 points on 40.6% shooting, including 29.4% from deep.  That has to be a lack of focus and confidence, not because they are missing Jae.  They need to keep their focus and not play down to the Sixers. 

X-Factors
Focus and Confidence
- The Celtics showed that they still can play Celtics basketball even without Jae and Jonas in the 3rd quarter on Friday.  But other times over the past 4 games, the Celtics have looked hesitant and unable to play as a team.  They have to regain their confidence and get that winning swagger back.   They also have to stay focused and not overlook the Sixers because of their record.  They made that mistake against both the Nets and the Lakers this season and lost to both teams. 

Officiating - Officiating will always be an x-factor.  Some crews call every little bit of contact that takes the flow out of the game.  Some crews let them play.  Some refs have an agenda against a team, a coach or a player.  All of these things can alter the way a game is played and the ability of a team to play well.  Isaiah spoke out against the officiating after the Raptors game and indeed it did seem like Isaiah got manhandled quite a bit without any calls while Kyle Lowry got quite a few star calls.  Hopefully this game will be called evenly and they will let them play. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:46:05 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (39-30) at Sixers (9-60) Game #70 3/20/16
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 05:57:27 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The Celtics need to get back on track.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 06:06:48 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I remain by my prediction that we will lose.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 06:15:42 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Wanna bet???
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to Rondo9 for being the first to post in the game thread! 

Go Celtics!!!! 

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:58:25 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Definition of a must win game right here.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:36:18 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
This is a must win game if we have any hopes of moving back up towards the three or four spot. The next four games (@Philly, vs Orlando, vs Toronto, @ Suns) will be critical for our moving back up the standings. We really need to take all four if we're going to have a chance at home-court advantage in the playoffs, especially if we're wanting the third spot to avoid Cleveland as long as possible.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 11:07:05 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
At least we have a shot in this one. The last week without Jae has been BRUTAL.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 11:38:36 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Hope this game gets the team going.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 12:42:04 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
geez louise, i step away from the computer to mop the floor and when i get back not only has flc put up another game thread, a whole herd of posters beat me to the first post!!!!! waaaaaaaaaa....  :'(

well, i am the first poster in this thread named hwangjini_1, so i am positive that will entice flc to give me a well deserved tommy point.  ;)

in any case, another great thread and yes yes yes the celtics are going to stomp the snotski out of the hapless sixers.

gooooooo celtics!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 12:44:02 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
any particular reasons for the prediction that you would like to share with the other posters?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 12:52:44 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
hopefully we can get the win tomorrow, might be quite challenging judging by how the team has been playing as of late.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:11 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
any particular reasons for the prediction that you would like to share with the other posters?

Well, in the heat of the loss to Toronto, I said that we would lose to philly. I guess it was just my rage at the results of the game, and our lack of effort. But, I still dont think we will come out with full effort, so I'm guess I'm going to stick to my word.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 03:12:08 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Just what the doctor ordered Dleague visit.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
geez louise, i step away from the computer to mop the floor and when i get back not only has flc put up another game thread, a whole herd of posters beat me to the first post!!!!! waaaaaaaaaa....  :'(

well, i am the first poster in this thread named hwangjini_1, so i am positive that will entice flc to give me a well deserved tommy point.  ;)

in any case, another great thread and yes yes yes the celtics are going to stomp the snotski out of the hapless sixers.

gooooooo celtics!!  ;D

You get a well deserved Tommy Point for always giving me a smile!  One of my favorite posters!  We both wear green colored lenses to see the world through :D