Author Topic: too bad we didn't sign Biyombo instead  (Read 11288 times)

Re: too bad we didn't sign Biyombo instead
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2016, 02:14:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Bismack can make these on a consistent basis.   Dayam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hx9wWlX1mY

I hope Danny considers signing Bismack in the offseason

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2016, 02:16:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Nobody knew that biyombo would improve that well

Literally nothing about this surprises me. 

I pointed out numerous times that Charlotte's best defensive lineup included Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Biyombo.  Biyombo had the best defensive rating on the entire team.  It made no sense that they didn't play those guys more and just build an identity around defense.   When Biyombo was given the opportunity to start on Charlotte, he consistently contributed.  It's one of the many reasons I feel Charlotte is one of the two worst-run teams in the league.

Last year, for instance, in 21 games as a starter he averaged 6.8 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.8 blocks with 55% shooting in 27mpg.  He was remarkably consistent in his ability to rebound and defend.  His defensive rating was consistently great.   His offense was bad, of course, but he was very clearly a (very cheap and attainable) option for rim protection. 

His per-36 minutes constantly showed a player who would get you 8-9 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks with 36 minutes.   And when he played 36+ minutes, he was remarkably consistent in backing up those per-36 numbers.

I got heckled when Biyombo signed for cheap with Charlotte.  As anticipated, he ended up putting up comparable numbers to Willie Cauley Stein.  This season, he once again put up per-36 numbers of 9 points, 13 rebounds, 2.6 blocks.  He once again had the best defensive rating on his team.

In 22 games as a starter, he averaged 7 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2 blocks with 55% shooting in 30 minutes.

His past 8 playoff games he's averaged 35.5 minutes.  He's averaged 8.8 points, 12.1 rebounds, 2.4 blocks.   Which, again... shouldn't surprise anyone.   Remarkably consistent in what he's been doing the past few seasons with both his strengths and weaknesses.

Where controversy arose with Biyombo was the comparisons to Ben Wallace.  Biyombo is only 23 years old (supposedly) and as we've seen, he is remarkably consistent in getting you 8-9 points, 12 boards and a few blocks per 36 minutes.   When Ben Wallace was 23 years old, he avearged 3.1 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1 block.   It actually wasn't until Wallace 5th season in Detroit (as a 26 year old), that he saw his minutes spike to 34.5 and started avearging 6.4 points, 13 rebounds, 2.3 blocks.   The comp I made over the Summer with Biyombo was that during Wallace's 4th season with Orlando, he averaged 4.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 1.6 blocks in 24.2mpg... which was shockingly close to what Biyombo did in his 21 games as a starter in Charlotte.   If you look at Wallace's per-36 numbers, he was remarkably consistent in his ability to get you 6-9 points, 10-14 rebounds and 2-3 blocks per game.   What changed for Wallace was his role.  So naturally, it infuriated people when folks suggested that 22 year old Biyombo compared well with 25 year old Ben Wallace.   It was obviously a stretch to say Biyombo's best-case was a dominant defender like Wallace, but you had to wonder what a player with Biyombo's skillset could do if given significant minutes on a solid team.   Now we see... He's made major contributions to a 56 win team that is now tied 2-2 in the Eastern Conference Finals.   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:21:52 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2016, 02:31:59 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
He is only an option if we already have established shooters and scorers aside from IT. He is a beast in the paint and protects it. Then what? Score under 15 in a quarter?

I love to have this on green. But the problem is he won't fit the pace and space CBS is preaching. At least Amir is respectable outside the restricted area where Bismack is a complete liability. Toronto is the perfect fit for his skillset at the moment.

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2016, 03:26:27 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
TP for LB33. He called it.
- LilRip

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2016, 04:57:03 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

I pointed out numerous times that Charlotte's best defensive lineup included Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Biyombo.  Biyombo had the best defensive rating on the entire team.  It made no sense that they didn't play those guys more and just build an identity around defense.   When Biyombo was given the opportunity to start on Charlotte, he consistently contributed.  It's one of the many reasons I feel Charlotte is one of the two worst-run teams in the league.

Last year, for instance, in 21 games as a starter he averaged 6.8 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.8 blocks with 55% shooting in 27mpg.  He was remarkably consistent in his ability to rebound and defend.  His defensive rating was consistently great.   His offense was bad, of course, but he was very clearly a (very cheap and attainable) option for rim protection. 

His per-36 minutes constantly showed a player who would get you 8-9 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks with 36 minutes.   And when he played 36+ minutes, he was remarkably consistent in backing up those per-36 numbers.

I got heckled when Biyombo signed for cheap with Charlotte.  As anticipated, he ended up putting up comparable numbers to Willie Cauley Stein.  This season, he once again put up per-36 numbers of 9 points, 13 rebounds, 2.6 blocks.  He once again had the best defensive rating on his team.

In 22 games as a starter, he averaged 7 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2 blocks with 55% shooting in 30 minutes.

His past 8 playoff games he's averaged 35.5 minutes.  He's averaged 8.8 points, 12.1 rebounds, 2.4 blocks.   Which, again... shouldn't surprise anyone.   Remarkably consistent in what he's been doing the past few seasons with both his strengths and weaknesses.

Where controversy arose with Biyombo was the comparisons to Ben Wallace.  Biyombo is only 23 years old (supposedly) and as we've seen, he is remarkably consistent in getting you 8-9 points, 12 boards and a few blocks per 36 minutes.   When Ben Wallace was 23 years old, he avearged 3.1 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1 block.   It actually wasn't until Wallace 5th season in Detroit (as a 26 year old), that he saw his minutes spike to 34.5 and started avearging 6.4 points, 13 rebounds, 2.3 blocks.   The comp I made over the Summer with Biyombo was that during Wallace's 4th season with Orlando, he averaged 4.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 1.6 blocks in 24.2mpg... which was shockingly close to what Biyombo did in his 21 games as a starter in Charlotte.   If you look at Wallace's per-36 numbers, he was remarkably consistent in his ability to get you 6-9 points, 10-14 rebounds and 2-3 blocks per game.   What changed for Wallace was his role.  So naturally, it infuriated people when folks suggested that 22 year old Biyombo compared well with 25 year old Ben Wallace.   It was obviously a stretch to say Biyombo's best-case was a dominant defender like Wallace, but you had to wonder what a player with Biyombo's skillset could do if given significant minutes on a solid team.   Now we see... He's made major contributions to a 56 win team that is now tied 2-2 in the Eastern Conference Finals.   
^^This is a perfect example of someone cherry picking box score statistics in order to prove themselves correct.  Charlotte improved immensely this season and finally produced a decent offense for the 1st time in a decade.  Biyombo is a huge drag on any teams offense and his removal along with a reduction in Big Al's minutes were a huge part of it.  Charlotte's offensive rating went from 97.6 in 14-15 to 105.1 in 15-16.  Their defense suffered little in comparison. 

As for his time in Toronto they were better without him on the floor during the regular season and cherry picking stats from a couple games proves nothing.  During the regular season Toronto managed to produce a paltry 98.1 points per 48 minutes with Biyombo on the floor, 105.6 per 48 without him.  He and players like him with no ability to shoot nor attract any attention kill offenses.  Any advantage defensively they may provide are far outweighed by the major disadvantages offensively.

The Celtics had they had Biyombo coming off the bench (in Olynyk's role for instance) would have hardly if at all produced a better defesive rating as Olynyk 97.7 doesn't leave a lot of room for improvement.  The offense would have been futile in comparison though and a very strong bench would have become a disaster.

In no way should the Celtics be pursuing Biyombo.

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2016, 08:06:32 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
As for his time in Toronto they were better without him on the floor during the regular season

This doesn't surprise me.  Bismark Biyombo is not that good.  Definitely not worth arguing about.  He has found a nice niche on a good team that can cover for his lack of offense.  He is still young and may continue to improve after this breakout but more likely, someone will overpay like the Cavs did for Tristan Thompson and countless other athletic bigs with limited skills.

Toronto got him for a nice number and found a role for him.  Charlotte moved on and was better for it.  He probably didn't want to come to Boston over Toronto but who knows.  I am not losing sleep over this one.

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2016, 08:29:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Great rebounder and good defender but these playoff games aren't what he's normally like.
He's extremely frustrating like Sully but even more inconsistent. At least Sully put a solid 6-7 months together. Biyombo looks like the biggest chump at times, but his price is good.

It could be that he's never had enough time to get into a groove but I need to see it for another whole season.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

^^This is a perfect example of someone cherry picking box score statistics in order to prove themselves correct.  Charlotte improved immensely this season and finally produced a decent offense for the 1st time in a decade.  Biyombo is a huge drag on any teams offense and his removal along with a reduction in Big Al's minutes were a huge part of it.  Charlotte's offensive rating went from 97.6 in 14-15 to 105.1 in 15-16.  Their defense suffered little in comparison. 

As for his time in Toronto they were better without him on the floor during the regular season and cherry picking stats from a couple games proves nothing.  During the regular season Toronto managed to produce a paltry 98.1 points per 48 minutes with Biyombo on the floor, 105.6 per 48 without him.  He and players like him with no ability to shoot nor attract any attention kill offenses.  Any advantage defensively they may provide are far outweighed by the major disadvantages offensively.

The Celtics had they had Biyombo coming off the bench (in Olynyk's role for instance) would have hardly if at all produced a better defesive rating as Olynyk 97.7 doesn't leave a lot of room for improvement.  The offense would have been futile in comparison though and a very strong bench would have become a disaster.

In no way should the Celtics be pursuing Biyombo.

Dang, he's worse than I thought. TP man.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2016, 09:15:12 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Great rebounder and good defender but these playoff games aren't what he's normally like.
He's extremely frustrating like Sully but even more inconsistent. At least Sully put a solid 6-7 months together. Biyombo looks like the biggest chump at times, but his price is good.

It could be that he's never had enough time to get into a groove but I need to see it for another whole season.

So he steps up in the playoffs? That's a bad thing?

LarBrd33 was the most vocal of a group of folks here that believed strongly in trading for Biyombo from CHA, or better yet, signing him last summer. Pretty obvious that might have been a good thing for Boston considering the price.

Give credit where credit is due....

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2016, 10:01:35 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I don't think its just a knock on Danny.  Coaches too.     The rest of the league like POP, Doc, Ker and even our own Brad Stevens didn't recruit him.   
Diggles

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2016, 10:16:11 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
of Amir.  signed with Toronto to a 1 year 6 million dollar deal vs 12 million Amir is making

Was a beast last night and all over the place (like a tristant thompson)

I would take Biyombo right about now over Amir.  And Toronto did
Amir Johnson is a million times more useful than Buyuombo.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2016, 10:23:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
of Amir.  signed with Toronto to a 1 year 6 million dollar deal vs 12 million Amir is making

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

So he steps up in the playoffs? That's a bad thing?

LarBrd33 was the most vocal of a group of folks here that believed strongly in trading for Biyombo from CHA, or better yet, signing him last summer. Pretty obvious that might have been a good thing for Boston considering the price.

Give credit where credit is due....

Biyombo has been good. On our team he would struggle due to our lack of scoring and our already heavy line of big men.
I've already defended Brd in other threads saying he said we should sign Biyombo. In the interest of transparency I'll also add that Brd suggested plenty of other scrubs that we should have signed who have been complete fails and as the saying goes...

' If you throw enough Sh$&*% against the wall, eventually some of it will stick'.

But yes, he did suggest we sign Biyombo and Biyombo has had a solid playoffs.

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I know, real skills are overrated when you can do something catchy.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2016, 01:06:24 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Two things are clear IMO

-signing Amir to a cheap contract last summer would have been a good move

-there is no point in regretting it now. We should instead look for the new cheap Biyombo in this summer's market.