Author Topic: too bad we didn't sign Biyombo instead  (Read 11277 times)

Re: too bad we didn't sign Biyombo instead
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 07:46:18 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
lol

Biyombo has a couple of good games and all of a suddent he's as good as Amir Johnson? Better even?

Biyombo can rebound and block shots and do, literally, nothing else on the court. He can barely catch the basketball when you throw it to him. Amir Johnson is a high IQ basketball player. A much smarter defender and an infinitely better offensive player. I'll take Amir over Biyombo 10 times out of 10.

If it were not for the salary difference and Biz making LESS than 1/4 Amir's salary and the FACT that Amir apparently is virtually unable to play in 4th quarters due to his feet issue, I might agree with you.

Folks here act like Amir is so superior offensively, yet in virtually identical minutes, Amir averages 7.1 points per game and Biz averages 5.5 points per game.  Amir does shoot a whopping 2.3% higher from the field.  But, Biz averages 8.3 rebounds to Amir's 6.1 and Biz averages 1.63 blocks to 1 block per game for Amir.  Also, Biz is shooting 8% better at the FT line.
Also, Biz has a defensive RPM of 4.16 and Amir has a defensive RPM of 2.63.

I am lost as to why Amir is considered BETTER than a MUCH CHEAPER Biz!!

Smitty77

Because he can hit a jump shot, he can hit the odd open three, he can pass, and he's finishes very well around the basket in a variety of ways (while Biyombo doesn't seem to have much offensive ability beyond dunking). 

Basically Amir can help a team on offense, while Biyombo really cannot.

I'd still take him as a rim protecting big off the bench though.

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I must admit LarBrd33 actually stated this some time ago, I rarely praise the negative nancy but I admit he was right on this one...I tip my cap to you Mr. LarBrd33

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 08:14:42 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
lol

Biyombo has a couple of good games and all of a suddent he's as good as Amir Johnson? Better even?

Biyombo can rebound and block shots and do, literally, nothing else on the court. He can barely catch the basketball when you throw it to him. Amir Johnson is a high IQ basketball player. A much smarter defender and an infinitely better offensive player. I'll take Amir over Biyombo 10 times out of 10.

If it were not for the salary difference and Biz making LESS than 1/4 Amir's salary and the FACT that Amir apparently is virtually unable to play in 4th quarters due to his feet issue, I might agree with you.

Folks here act like Amir is so superior offensively, yet in virtually identical minutes, Amir averages 7.1 points per game and Biz averages 5.5 points per game.  Amir does shoot a whopping 2.3% higher from the field.  But, Biz averages 8.3 rebounds to Amir's 6.1 and Biz averages 1.63 blocks to 1 block per game for Amir.  Also, Biz is shooting 8% better at the FT line.

Smitty77

Because he can hit a jump shot, he can hit the odd open three, he can pass, and he's finishes very well around the basket in a variety of ways (while Biyombo doesn't seem to have much offensive ability beyond dunking). 

And being able to make a jump shot means that the offense can do a lot more with Johnson on the court than with Biyombo. Biyombo can be ignored if he's more than 5 feet from the basket and can't be trusted to handle the ball.

Johnson is also just a smarter player. He knows where he's supposed to be and makes good decisions.

On top of that, Amir isn't exactly Magic, but he's got 110 assists this season. Biyombo has 109 assists in his entire career, turning it over at about the same rate. That's not to say that Amir is a great passer, only that the numbers illustrate how limited Biyombo is on offense.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
lol

Smitty77

And being able to make a jump shot means that the offense can do a lot more with Johnson on the court than with Biyombo. Biyombo can be ignored if he's more than 5 feet from the basket and can't be trusted to handle the ball.

Johnson is also just a smarter player. He knows where he's supposed to be and makes good decisions.

On top of that, Amir isn't exactly Magic, but he's got 110 assists this season. Biyombo has 109 assists in his entire career, turning it over at about the same rate. That's not to say that Amir is a great passer, only that the numbers illustrate how limited Biyombo is on offense.

^This^ Is probably why Danny didn't get Biyombo.

The Celtics' offense is predicated on one-dribble hand-offs, read-and-reacts out of flex cuts, optional pin downs/backdoor screens, and curl/pop actions while a big man facilitates out of the high post. (These basic actions in the offensive set, as well as the ability to "pop" out in double-screens and during a basic Floppy action is what makes Olynyk in particular so valuable.) While Amir is no Olynyk (or even Sullinger) dribbling and/or passing the ball, he's much better than Biyombo. Being able to make an occasional 3-pointer is just extra, and I hate it every time Amir takes it.

For the record, this is the reason I don't think the Celtics will go after Whiteside this offseason. I'm pretty sure that he still has less than 50 career assists after something like 4 years.

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
You guys are nitpicking on small things Amir can't even do well. I give you passing

but jump shot??  Teams back away from him for a reason

Biyombo is a much better at rebounder/shotblocker/finish dunks/layups around the rim

again use the example of Amir stuggling to play against the Pacers big. While Biyombo just cleaned things up under the basket for 25 rebounds.   Pretty much dominated Hill and Turner by himself

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 09:52:58 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
You guys are nitpicking on small things Amir can't even do well. I give you passing

Biyombo is a much better at rebounder/shotblocker/finish dunks/layups around the rim

again use the example of Amir stuggling to play against the Pacers big. While Biyombo just cleaned things up under the basket for 25 rebounds.   Pretty much dominated Hill and Turner by himself
That's sort of the point. Amir isn't great at these things and he's still miles better than Biyombo because of how bad Biyombo is.

I also don't agree that Biyombo is better around the rim. Dunking, maybe. I couldn't really say. But Amir finishes around the rim very well.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 10:00:11 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Amir is a career 32% three point shooter who has shot over 35% from three four times in his 11 year career.  He's far from a knock down shooter, but he's capable enough that he CAN his the shot if you leave him open.  Hell is probably a better three point shooter than Turner and Smart for his career, and certainly much better than Biyombo.

For his career he has also shot 48% from 3-10 feet (31% for Biyombo), 38% from 10-16 feet (30% for Biyombo) and 40% from 16 feet to the tree point line (22% for Biyombo).  He's very capable of hitting the open jumper and has done so his entire career. Biyombo absolutely is not.

Even in the paint, Amir Johnson has shot an amazing 70% inside the restricted area, versus 64% for Biyombo.  Johnson is absolutely one of the best in the league at finishing around the basket.

Amir Johnson has a career average of 1 assist per turnover, which is pretty solid for a big man.  He's a skilled passer with high basketball IQ who reads situations well. That means for ever turnover he gives up (potential 2-3 points lost) he will also get an assist (potential 2-3 points gained) so ultimately he's got solid enough court feel to not be a liability.

Biyombo has a career average of 0.3 Assists Per Turnover which is utterly horrendous - he will turn the ball over three times (potential of 6-9 points scored for the opponent) for every one assist he generates (a potential 2-3 points).  That makes him a major liability with the ball in his hands, and ultimately a black hole.

So yes, Amir Johnson is on a whole other level offensively compared to Biyombo.   

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

That's sort of the point. Amir isn't great at these things and he's still miles better than Biyombo because of how bad Biyombo is.

I also don't agree that Biyombo is better around the rim. Dunking, maybe. I couldn't really say. But Amir finishes around the rim very well.

Yeah, Amir is money with his baby hook no matter what side of the rim he on.

I would be fine with Biyombo and even agree that he does things defensively that Amir just quite cannot; however, just being marginally good at shooting, pass, screens, movement, etc means that the defense needs to at least pay attention to him. For a team that doesn't shoot the three well, being able to spread Amir out and give a driving lane to our other guys makes a big difference.

And with all of this being said, it really doesn't matter that much. Biyombo isn't likely to be a star and Amir isn't likely to be here past this season. We went with the veteran leadership of Amir to help us compete this season.

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Nobody knew that biyombo would improve that well
Or Charlotte would have kept him

Plus I like Amir Johnson on our team

He's a vet that brings some leadership over all the young guys we have
He knows he's role and is consistent in what he does
And has some playoff exp that biyombo doesn't

Plus has a solid mid range shot allowing for more flexibility offensively when he is on the floor than if we had biyombo

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 10:29:42 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
its not like DA could force the guy to sign here.

Biyombo would of prob gone to whoever really wanted him and paid him decent cash.

He was not one of the early FAs signed

Danny prob could of had him if he wanted to early on in the process

Danny is asleep half the time on getting quality players to come here either through the draft or FA.  10 more years of mediocrity >:(
Oh, you were on here clamoring for DA to sign Biyombo?

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2016, 10:48:48 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'm sorry but Amir is better, and a veteran presence in the locker room. We signed him to be a major contributor, Biyombo was more of an upside pick up since he was meant to back up Valanciunas.

And finally, if Biyombo was here we would be saying the exact same thing about him, please stop.

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 01:52:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Casey calls Biyombo his "Dennis Rodman".   14 rebounds/3 blocks today.   Making the Cavs think twice before driving in

Enjoy seeing Biyombo outplay Thompson .  Just longer, just as explosive and strong

Overall has also outplayed Kevin Love also.  Love has been a bum the last 2 games 

Anybody still think Amir is better?

Masai one upped ainge on this one

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 01:56:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This clean block on Lebron was something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v380rlzNaCI&feature=youtu.be

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2016, 01:59:01 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I must admit LarBrd33 actually stated this some time ago, I rarely praise the negative nancy but I admit he was right on this one...I tip my cap to you Mr. LarBrd33

I mostly just didn't see the point in trading up for WCS if you could just sign Biyombo.  Everything suggested Biyombo was at worst 80% the player WCS was.   WCS spent 4 years of College ball improving against weaker competition.  Biyombo spent 4 years of playing on an NBA bench.  Both had similar skills.   And Biyombo's 4th year pro stats as a starter were similar to WCS's Senior stats.  Seems to me, the guy putting up those stats on the NBA level was more impressive.

I got why we offered 12 million to Amir instead.  It was a big picture move.  Amir provided more veteran leadership, filled some of the same needs, and served a greater need of being contract filler if we were able to land a big fish.  I was fine with it.  I'm not sulking about us not signing Biyombo.  I still like him, though. 

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 02:08:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Whats with Biyombo's expression at game 3's press conference??   As the question is being asked..... his expression becomes....   It's strangely hilarious lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdk82tDC6s