Author Topic: 2016 NCAA Tournament  (Read 41352 times)

Re: 2016 NCAA Tournament
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
MIDDLE TENNESSEE is holding on!!!

Safe to say that Hawaii will pull the upset. Cal very awful today, Jordan Matthews and Ivan Rabb helped their draft stock a bit, while Jaylen Brown looks like could use another year in school, or be contended to be a 6-10 pick.

A GM who uses a top 10 pick on a guy like Jaylen Brown, with no discernible NBA level skill, doesn't like his job very much.

Eh? He's still athletically gifted. And there are some core guys for Cal that are missing. Kid is 19 and knows how to get to the rim and be a weapon in transition. All we saw today is just telling us he needs a lot more work to be complete than people normally though.

I probably won't take him in the top 3 however, but I'd gamble on him on a top 5-10 pick. There's still a good amount of upside there.

I'd let him go back to school with the hope of building his skills and becoming a top 5 pick, or I'd let somebody else take the risk in the top 10.

If he fell to the end of the lottery, I'd take a chance.

But there isn't a single thing he does I would feel confident in him doing at the NBA level, other than finishing an open dunk, and that's a lowwww bar.  I like my top 10 picks to have a higher floor than that.

I think he could do more than just finishing an open dunk. Dude can get to the rim on a straight drive, and averages 6 FT attempts per game, he can get to the line.

He is again just 19, there's a lot of room there to work with if you're patient enough. Especially on what is a considered weak draft, it's not bad to have an ultra athletic kid with upside.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just think the chance that Brown is another Shabazz Muhammad or Terrence Williams is high, at least if he doesn't spend more time in college learning the game.

This Darnell Harris kid looks good ... but he's 24 years old.  So not that surprising.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2016, 04:31:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Safe to say that Hawaii will pull the upset. Cal very awful today, Jordan Matthews and Ivan Rabb helped their draft stock a bit, while Jaylen Brown looks like could use another year in school, or be contended to be a 6-10 pick.

A GM who uses a top 10 pick on a guy like Jaylen Brown, with no discernible NBA level skill, doesn't like his job very much.

Eh? He's still athletically gifted. And there are some core guys for Cal that are missing. Kid is 19 and knows how to get to the rim and be a weapon in transition. All we saw today is just telling us he needs a lot more work to be complete than people normally though.

I probably won't take him in the top 3 however, but I'd gamble on him on a top 5-10 pick. There's still a good amount of upside there.
I'd pick him at about 8 right now. Right after SImmons, Ingram, Murray, Poeltl, Bender, Dunn and Hield. A case could be made for Ellenson as well. But at 8 or 9 I don't see a better option.

I think he'll be ready defensively long before he's ready on offense. If, as he develops he can guard 4's it will help him a lot, because at the 4 it would be a lot easier for him to drive to the hoop.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2016, 04:32:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'd pick him at about 8 right now. Right after SImmons, Ingram, Murray, Poeltl, Bender, Dunn and Hield. A case could be made for Ellenson as well. But at 8 or 9 I don't see a better option.

I think he'll be ready defensively long before he's ready on offense. If, as he develops he can guard 4's it will help him a lot, because at the 4 it would be a lot easier for him to drive to the hoop.

Do you think Brown would get a chance to learn the game at the NBA level on this Celts team?  As things stand now, he'd probably spend his first two years in the D-League like James Young.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2016, 04:32:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I just think the chance that Brown is another Shabazz Muhammad or Terrence Williams is high, at least if he doesn't spend more time in college learning the game.

This Darnell Harris kid looks good ... but he's 24 years old.  So not that surprising.

And that Upshaw Jr as well.

I love what's happening. This result could kill my bracket, but I'm rooting hard for Middle Tennessee right now.

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2016, 04:34:10 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Do you think Brown would get a chance to learn the game at the NBA level on this Celts team?  As things stand now, he'd probably spend his first two years in the D-League like James Young.

Brown has better vision than James Young or Terrence Williams, better feel for the game too.

He might not be a star in 2-3 years, but he'll fit right in because he's a willing passer and defender.

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2016, 04:36:37 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
Valentine is such a great playmaker, in control and good passer

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I think he can learn a lot in the practices and working with the coaches in the offseason. I also think development can happen in the d-league where you can work out with coaches everyday. Working with Crowder in training camp could really benefit him.

I'm actually a proponent of players developing slowly by seeing veterans playing the right way. Since the end of the roster guys aren't going to play anyway, I'd rather have a developmental prospect in that roster spot than any other type of player.

Although it is unlikely he plays right away, we are seeing what the state of our small forward position is right now. So maybe he would actually play early as a defense/energy guy.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2016, 04:41:16 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
The think about Brown is that his intangibles are also a red flag so I'd pass. Can't play + no effort no please

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The think about Brown is that his intangibles are also a red flag so I'd pass. Can't play + no effort no please

Yeah.

I'm all for drafting guys who can play the 3, but I think there'll be better options for that in the middle of the 1st round.   You have to be able to shoot and defend to be a 3-and-D guy, and there's no telling if Brown will be able to do either.

This Michigan State game is funny.

A team of teenagers getting beaten up by a team featuring fully grown men.  Darnell Harris is 24 years old.  About the same age as half of the Celtics roster.  He'll be selling cars or adjusting insurance claims a couple years from now.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:16 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
Game, a shame that all this nba prospects are getting eliminated. Barely got to see them

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Michigan State, a team a LOT of people are thinking should be number 1, is about to go down.

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That's an eye opening upset.  Wow.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2016, 04:49:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I haven't scouted any of the guys a whole lot, but I think it's silly that a guy would go from the #3 pick to the late lottery based on one bad game.  There may be reasons to take him as high as #3, or a lot lower than that, but none of them can be pegged to one tournament game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
That's an eye opening upset.  Wow.

If anyone has a perfect bracket after this one they aren't human... Or they go to Middle Tennessee