Author Topic: 2016 Patriots Offseason  (Read 5132 times)

2016 Patriots Offseason
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:49:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I love what the Pats have done so far:
+ WR Chris Hogan
+ TE M. Bennett
+ LB Shea McClellin
+ DE C. Long

The sad to see it but understandable Chandler Jones trade.
The Brady extension.

I think the Pats still need a bit of depth in the secondary.
Celtics fan for life.

Re: 2016 Patriots Offseason
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 10:58:08 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
The Bennet signing is huge, but it's incredible that Belichick has managed to gain 3 first round talents without having and first round picks. What a nice deal. We are clearly going to use the draft for both O and D line.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:21:58 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
+ WR Chris Hogan
+ TE M. Bennett
+ LB Shea McClellin
+ DE C. Long

The Brady extension.

I love the Bennett signing—he's a very good TE and will be playing for a new contract. He and Gronk could wreak havoc.

I'm not sure how much Long has left in the tank, and Cooper's had some injury issues, but I'm hopeful that they—along with Hogan and McCLellin—can make some good contributions.

It'll be great to have Lewis and (hopefully) Blount back from injury, too.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:24:39 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
+ WR Chris Hogan
+ TE M. Bennett
+ LB Shea McClellin
+ DE C. Long

The Brady extension.

What did you think of the Jones move? They could have let Jones play out the season, let him walk, then still get a 3rd, right? Did they free up cap space in that move to sign Bennett, is that how it played out?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:50:15 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Like the Bennett trade a lot.  Haven't had someone that talented at the TE position to line up alongside Gronk since Hernandez. 

I think the Long signing could prove to be a good one.  I think he'll be more of a situational player, though.  If he's healthy & not being overused, I think he could be a real boon. 

If Belichick gets much out of Brown, McClellin, or Cooper, then its a bonus.   I think Brown is there for a roster spot battle and/or Lewis insurance.  McClellin will be fighting for a roster spot in training camp (severely underwhelmed in Chicago).  Cooper is the interesting one.  Injuries more than anything have plagued his career.  He probably has the most boom or bust potential of those three.

I think this Bennett move puts Amendola on borrowed time.   My guess is the team will be looking to renegotiate now or cut ties.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bennett is a good player, he burns out quickly but he can play. (Bears fan who was happy his productivity lasted as long as it did in Blue and Orange)

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
+ WR Chris Hogan
+ TE M. Bennett
+ LB Shea McClellin
+ DE C. Long

The Brady extension.

What did you think of the Jones move? They could have let Jones play out the season, let him walk, then still get a 3rd, right? Did they free up cap space in that move to sign Bennett, is that how it played out?

+ Bennet
+ Cooper

Offense this year will be a beast compared to last year. Glad to see they gave Brady some help (at least on paper) for next year. You can't have a shaky offensive line and only two reliable guys to catch the ball and expect him to dominate every game.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »

• Satch Sanders
Like the Bennett trade a lot.  Haven't had someone that talented at the TE position to line up alongside Gronk since Hernandez. 

I think the Long signing could prove to be a good one.  I think he'll be more of a situational player, though.  If he's healthy & not being overused, I think he could be a real boon. 

If Belichick gets much out of Brown, McClellin, or Cooper, then its a bonus.   I think Brown is there for a roster spot battle and/or Lewis insurance.  McClellin will be fighting for a roster spot in training camp (severely underwhelmed in Chicago).  Cooper is the interesting one.  Injuries more than anything have plagued his career.  He probably has the most boom or bust potential of those three.

I think this Bennett move puts Amendola on borrowed time.   My guess is the team will be looking to renegotiate now or cut ties.

Given the injury bug that bit the Pats last year, and the possibility of it happening again this year, seems like it would be good to keep Amendola around.

What do you think the depth chart will look like at WR? Edelman's No. 1, but after that seems like it could be anyone—Hogan, Amendola, Martin, even Harper.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 12:54:25 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like all the moves.  There is generally very little downside to any of them.  Even the Jones trade.  We get what I believe at worst will be valuable depth on the OL with Cooper and at best potentially someone who could be an anchor.  Add to that a second round pick?  That is good return in my opinion for a player (Jones) who I score as very good but overrated (more flash and hype than grit and consistency).

Jones gives some pass rush punch for sure, but not a ton.  He is not the type of player that teams game plan around or anything like that.  He was pretty weak though at containing the run.  Teams turned the corner on him more than they should have.  Plus we added Long so I am not sure we are losing much at that position.  Long may get fewer sacks but he will probably me more consistent against the run.

Pass rush and OL are both very important but I think the biggest Pats' need is OL and they addressed that.  I predict that Cooper will pan out somewhere between "depth" and "anchor" but that is OK.  A solid guard in the mix along with Solder back and we should be much better.  I also expect to see the Pats use some high picks on even more OL depth.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I like all the moves.  There is generally very little downside to any of them.  Even the Jones trade.  We get what I believe at worst will be valuable depth on the OL with Cooper and at best potentially someone who could be an anchor.  Add to that a second round pick?  That is good return in my opinion for a player (Jones) who I score as very good but overrated (more flash and hype than grit and consistency).

Jones gives some pass rush punch for sure, but not a ton.  He is not the type of player that teams game plan around or anything like that.  He was pretty weak though at containing the run.  Teams turned the corner on him more than they should have.  Plus we added Long so I am not sure we are losing much at that position.  Long may get fewer sacks but he will probably me more consistent against the run.

Pass rush and OL are both very important but I think the biggest Pats' need is OL and they addressed that.  I predict that Cooper will pan out somewhere between "depth" and "anchor" but that is OK.  A solid guard in the mix along with Solder back and we should be much better.  I also expect to see the Pats use some high picks on even more OL depth.

And hopefully Tre Jackson and Shaq Mason are able to contribute more this season.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:27:23 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
+ WR Chris Hogan
+ TE M. Bennett
+ LB Shea McClellin
+ DE C. Long

The Brady extension.

+ Bennet
+ Cooper

The third round compensatory selection from Jones (in two years time) is worth thinking about.
It's basically:
+Bennet
+Cooper
+late 2nd round pick 2016

-Jones
-late 3rd round pick 2018

It seems to make sense for the Pats, though I'll miss Jones.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 09:28:40 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Today's big signing (no pun intended): T. "Pot Roast" Knighton. In New England, he'll be known as "Pat Roast" or, with your best Boston accent, "Pahhht Roast".
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
The Bennet signing is huge, but it's incredible that Belichick has managed to gain 3 first round talents without having and first round picks. What a nice deal. We are clearly going to use the draft for both O and D line.

Well, these are first round talents that didn't pan out, which is why they were available. But I do agree with your general sense of optimism that there's a ton of potential upside here for the Pats.

I actually don't think the Pats are as bad at O-Line as some think. Keep in mind the Pats had rookies starting last year they will only improve, and the Pats were without their starting LT for most of the year bc of injury.

The signing of Knighton makes DL less of a priority, but longer term I agree it makes sense to invest there.

I'm most concerned about the secondary. I'd like to see some reinforcements at S and CB.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 04:36:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wow.

The Patriots just cut Easley. Can't say I saw this coming.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds like off the field stuff & "philosophical differences" on the injury program. 

Whatever the heck that means.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team