Author Topic: Celtics (39-27) at Pacers (35-31) Game #67 3/15/16  (Read 24387 times)

Celtics (39-27) at Pacers (35-31) Game #67 3/15/16
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (39-27) at Indiana Pacers (35-31)
Tuesday, March 15, 2016
7:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #67, Road Game #33
TV: CSNNE, FSI, NBA-LP 750(DTV)/752(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 1070 The Fan
Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Isaiah Thomas vs George Hill

Shooting Guard

vs
Avery Bradley vs Monta Ellis

Small Forward
vs
Evan Turner vs Paul George

Power Forward

vs
Amir Johnson vs Myles Turner

Center
vs
Jared Sullinger vs Ian Mahinmi

Celtics Reserves
RJ Hunter
Jonas Jerebko
Jared Sullinger
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
Marcus Smart
James Young
Kelly Olynyk

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Injuries
Kelly Olynyk (shoulder) game time decision
Jae Crowder (ankle) out

Pacers Reserves
Lavoy Allen
Rakeem Christmas
Jordan Hill
Solomon Hill
Rodney Stuckey
CJ Miles
Shayne Whittington
Joe Young 
Glen Robinson III

Head Coach

Frank Vogel

Injuries

George Hill (toe) day to day
Ty Lawson (foot) questionable
Rodney Stuckey  (foot) day to day

Game Notes

The Celtics travel to Indiana for the 4th and final game of the season.  The Pacers lead the series 2-1 and the Celtics would like to tie the series.   The Pacers won 100-98 in Indiana in the Celtics first road game of the season.  The Pacers won 102-91 in Boston in November and the Celtics won 103-94 in Boston in January. 

The Celtics are playing in the first of a back to back set, returning home to play the Thunder on Wednesday.  The Celtics are 8-7 overall in the first of back to back games and they are 3-3 in games when the first game is on the road and the second is at home.   The Celtics are 16-16 on the road while the Pacers are 19-11 at home.  The Pacers have won 4 out of the last 5 in Indiana. 

Both teams are coming off a loss in their last game.  The Pacers lost by 29 points in Atlanta on Sunday.  The Celtics haven't played since Friday when they lost 102-98 to the Rockets at home.  After their loss to the Hawks, George Hill hinted that there are some players on his team that prioritize individual goals over team ones.  That could cause some friction and chemistry problems or it could straighten out their problems. 

The Celtics remain in 3rd but just 1/2 game ahead of Miami who beat Denver on Monday.  They are 1.5 games ahead of Atlanta (5th) and 2 ahead of Charlotte (6th) and 4 games ahead of the Pacers(7th).   Indiana is 1.5 games ahead of Chicago(8th) and Detroit (9th)  Needless to say,  this game has playoff positioning implications and both teams need to to get the win. 

Kelly Olynyk is targeting this game for his return from the shoulder injury.  He is listed as a game time decision.  Jae Crowder is out with a high ankle sprain and that will be a big blow to the Celtics. Evan Turner, who played 25 not very productive games with the Pacers last season, is expected to get the start in Jae's place. 

The Pacers are dealing with some minor injury issues of their own.  George Hill was mostly ineffective against the Hawks on Sunday due to a sore toe.  He is day to day but will probably play.  Rodney Stuckey missed Sunday with a sore foot and is also day to day.  Ty Lawson left Sunday's game with a sore foot and is questionable for this game.  CJ Miles is just 2 games back from a calf injury and is working his way back into shape. 

Key Matchups
vs
Isaiah Thomas vs George Hill
Hill is averaging 12.2 points, 3.5 assists and 1.2 steals per game.  He is also shooting 40.3% from beyond the arc and is a threat from both inside and out.  He shot just 2-8 against the Hawks due to the sore toe and is a game time decision.  With their next two point guards also struggling with injuries, it's not clear who will start. 

vs
Evan Turner vs Paul George
George is having a great year, averaging 23.3 points, 7.0 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.8 steals per game.  He is shooting 37.8% from beyond the arc.  This is where the Celtics will miss Jae the most.  He always took on the job of guarding the opposing best player.  When told that he was likely to start and have the job of defending Paul George, the ever quotable Turner said, "Oh sh**!  I didn't even think about that!"  So, hopefully he is preparing himself for the challenge.  We may see Marcus Smart on George if Turner struggles to defend him. 

Honorable Mention
Avery Bradley vs Monta Ellis
Ellis is averaging 14.5 points, 3.2 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.8 steals per game.  Ellis is capable of putting up big numbers if not defended well.   On the other hand,   Ellis gets lazy on defense at times and Avery might have a big game if he is hitting his open shots. 

Keys to the Game
Make Some Shots - The Celtics biggest problem against the Rockets was their inability to hit shots they usually make.  They missed them all -  layups, mid range, and long distance - shooting just 37% from the field and 25% from beyond the arc.   They all struggled and by the law of averages, someone is due to get hot in this game.   

Rebound - Especially if either team is struggling to make shots, the Celtics must crash the boards.  They can't score without the ball and it will take extra effort on their part to grab the rebounds.  The Celtics allowed the Rockets to out rebound them 50-45.  The Celtics can't let up and must be aggressive in going after rebounds.

Be Aggressive
-  I already mentioned that the Celtics must be aggressive on the boards, but they also must be aggressive on defense, in going after loose balls,  and just all around going all out. They have to aggressively attack the basket. They need to start the game with that aggressive attitude and be aggressive through the whole game with no let up.  They can't let the Pacers be the team that works harder. 

Play Defense
-  Defense wins games.  The Pacers are shooting 35.7 from beyond the arc and so the Celtics have to close out on their outside shooters.  They also must play better defense in the paint as they have been allowing too many easy shots in recent games.  The Pacers are 8th in the league allowing 100.5 points per game.   The Celtics have to make playing tough defense a priority. 

Take Care of the Ball - The Pacers are 4th in the league with 9.5 steals per game and so the Celtics must focus on making good passes and be aware of the Pacers ability to close out the passing lanes.  Also, if the Celtics get careless, the Pacers will make them pay with fast break points. 

X-Factors
The Jae Factor - The Celtics have not played without Jae Crowder this season, who has started every game this far.  Jae is important to the Celtics on both ends of the court.  He is the second highest scorer as well as one of the best defenders, able to take on the opponent's best player in every game.   The Celtics will need every player to step up their games on both ends of the court to make up for his loss. 

Officiating Factor-  As I have said every game,  officiating is always an x-factor.  Will the refs let them play or call every little ticky tack foul?   Will they call it even or favor one of the teams?  Will they even be competent in making the calls?  The officiating is always like Forrest Gump's box of candy.  You never know what you are going to get.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:21:51 AM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (39-27) at Pacers (35-31) Game #67 3/15/16
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:35:24 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP FLCeltsfan!!!

Let the younguns loose.

Go Cs!!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Myles Turner reminds of some cartoon character. I can't quite put my finger on it. I thought it was Sam the Eagle or Sideshow Bob, but that's not quite right...

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:41:39 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Myles Turner reminds of some cartoon character. I can't quite put my finger on it. I thought it was Sam the Eagle or Sideshow Bob, but that's not quite right...

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:48:08 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:43 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Great game thread!

" Indiana is 1 game ahead of Detroit (8th) and 2 games ahead of Charlotte"

Did you mean Chicago?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 11:13:57 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

'
This. greatest tv show ever

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 11:33:04 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 09:39:11 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I don't like our chances.
The team hasn't been playing good after long time off.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to csfansince60s for being the first to post in the game thread!   

Go Celtics!!!   

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:11:57 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
you mean the same celtics team who is 7-3 over their past 10 games? they may not be playing great, but chopped liver they aint.

ps. thanks for the thread flc. tp as ever.

gooooo celtics!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 11:17:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
this is a big game for us. Players who will step in, in the absence of Jae Crowder will have to work hard and step up in these two weeks.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
you mean the same celtics team who is 7-3 over their past 10 games? they may not be playing great, but chopped liver they aint.

ps. thanks for the thread flc. tp as ever.

gooooo celtics!!  ;D
Weve played pretty poorly for the last 4 games. We were lucky to beat New York and Memphis just ran out of gas against us. Its a good sign that we can win games without playing well but we will need to turn it around.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
TP for the awesome write up FLcelts!
This will test our character without Jae in there.

Missing both Jae and Kelly will be a good opportunity to see what we've got on the road.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 01:08:13 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

kek I wanted to post Bert with the barber meme, then saw your post

MFW