Author Topic: Willie Cauley-Stein Draft day trade Idea  (Read 2040 times)

Willie Cauley-Stein Draft day trade Idea
« on: March 09, 2016, 04:42:25 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
A bunch of us here, the rest of you know yourselves, were hoping that had last season seen us end up a lottery team, we could have drafted him with our pick. Anyway given some have said that this year's draft class isn't going to be so hot, and we are still looking for some help in the athletic, rim protecting center department, would you

a) trade the Brooklyn pick straight up for WCS
b) package one or more other first rounders for WCS
c) trade a rookie contract  player (e.g. Olynyk, or Smart) and a non lottery 1st rounder for WCS
d) none of the above
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:10:39 AM by LatterDayCelticsfan »
Banner 18 please 😍

Re: Willie Cauley-Stein Draft day trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:49:17 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I doubt sac looks to move him but the kings are w hard team to understand. As for your question, no way do I trade the nets pick unless it's below 6, no way I trade KO or Smart, but I would package picks if the Kings are dumb enough to trade him for a Cs+dal+ 2nds but I really can't see that.

In the draft I think Poeltl is a better prospect then WCS
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 07:31:17 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
KO for WCS is a good trade for both teams. I think Sacramento does that this summer.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:11:23 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Has he done anything yet? What's his numbers? I know some on here think a shot blocker that has no offensive game is a difference maker but you're wrong! I would have thought the C's this year proved that to you. It is much better to have good 2 way players than a guy that is offensively challenged and effects 4-5 shots a game.  ::)

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:26:55 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I've watched The Kings play maybe five games this year and I can't remember WCS doing anything remotely impressive or memorable.  He would completely clog the paint for our offense and on defense teams just pull shot blockers out of the paint with pick-n-rolls.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 08:33:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Has he done anything yet? What's his numbers? I know some on here think a shot blocker that has no offensive game is a difference maker but you're wrong! I would have thought the C's this year proved that to you. It is much better to have good 2 way players than a guy that is offensively challenged and effects 4-5 shots a game.  ::)

Yeah, a guy who shoots 60% from the floor is useless on offense -- that'd be 4th in the league if he'd gotten enough shots to qualify.  His offensive rebounding percentage would also be around 20th for the league if he qualified.  Defensively he'd be 12th in the league in block percentage.  Those are numbers that say he could be a two-way center as he continues to get more experience.  His free throw shooting isn't great at 61%, but it means he won't be subject to any Hack-a-Willie strategies.  He's exactly the player I thought he'd be as a rookie.

If the Brooklyn pick were in the top 3, so that we could get Simmons, Ingram, or Brown, I wouldn't trade it for WCS.  If it were any lower I absolutely would.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 05:27:37 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
A bunch of us here, the rest of you know yourselves, were hoping that had last season seen us end up a lottery team, we could have drafted him with our pick. Anyway given some have said that this year's draft class isn't going to be so hot, and we are still looking for some help in the athletic, rim protecting center department, would you

c) trade a rookie contract  player (e.g. Olynyk, or Smart) and a non lottery 1st rounder for WCS
d) none of the above

Did you seriously say we trade the Brooklyn pick for WCS?  Have you seen him play, yes he's a good player but I rather any of the top 5 players coming out over WCS.  If they'd do our late 1st round I might move it and 2 2nds for him, but nothing more.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 05:33:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Not knowing anything about him, I think I'd rather that Ainge added value to the DAL pick to move up to draft Poeltl. If Poeltl is still there when SAC picks, for example.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 06:28:36 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I like Poeltl, but I'm not sure what you're seeing in him that makes you think he's going to be better than WCS.  Cauley-Stein's numbers have been pretty good so far as a rookie, which gives you far more of a sample than 2 years of NCAA.  He's longer and more mobile and a better shot blocker.  His FG% has been excellent, and although he hasn't shot much from outside 3', when he has he's been quite good.

If we land outside the top 3 I think I'd trade the Brooklyn pick for him straight up.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 07:04:49 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Not knowing anything about him, I think I'd rather that Ainge added value to the DAL pick to move up to draft Poeltl. If Poeltl is still there when SAC picks, for example.
Poeltl won't be on the board but Davis from Mich St should be there if we can move up to the 12th pick.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 07:23:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
If it ends up like four or later and we can't trade it for a star, I think I would be okay with trading the Brooklyn pick straight up for him, or even something like Sully or KO and the Brooklyn pick for WCS and the Sacramento pick, though it'd suck to lose KO, who would be a PERFECT fit next to WCS.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 02:32:01 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
According to some of the stuff I've read on the Sactown SBnation blog, he's playing well enough to keep Kosta Koufos out of the rotation entirely
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 03:40:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

d) none of the above

I would say (b)

No way I would trade the Brooklyn pick for WCS, nor would I try a core player on a rookie contract (e.g. Smart / Olynyk).  WCS has yet to prove he is better than either of those two guys.

I'd consider multiple other firsts for sure, and I would MAYBE consider one of the future Brooklyn picks.