Author Topic: Would you target Butler or DeRozan?  (Read 1863 times)

Would you target Butler or DeRozan?
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:39:46 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
All this talk of Butler being the trade target has got me thinking, would you rather take the trade of Smart, Crowder, Nets 16 for Butler or try to sign DeRozan in the summer?

I've taken the last 2 years as reference to keep things relevant.

The regular stats favour DeRozan slightly but it's close. Higher PPG (23.4 vs 21.4 this year), More FT attempts and higher FT%. Butler has slightly higher rebound, block and steal stats.

Looking at the advanced stats Butler edges DeRozan in PER, TS%, ORB%, WS/48. He dominates DeRozan in BPM stats and the resulting VORP. DeRozan gets the better in FTr, AST% and WS.

Interesting to look at is that Butler hasn't taken a huge leap from last year. His FAs are up by 1 per game and his PPG is up by 3, AST% up but aside from that it's very similar to 2014-15. DeRozan on the other hand has improved on almost every statistic. Of particular note are the PER increase from 17.4 to 21.5, the TS% increase from 0.51 to 0.549 and the WS from 4 to 7.6.

Jimmy Butler will make $17,552,209 next year, DeRozan is a FA likely to get the max at $23m. Considering what we would have to give up to get Butler compared to the extra money spent on DeRozan, I would be tempted to chase DeRozan instead. He's primarily a slasher but has amazing body control and gets the the FT line a lot. It would also allow us to use those assets on chasing another big name to be the third star alongside Thomas and DeRozan

Edit: The attachment won't attach, anyone know how to upload an image?

Re: Would you target Butler or DeRozan?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:43:30 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If I'm choosing between the two, it's Butler every day of the week (as long as he's healthy).

Smart, Crowder, & BKN '16 is a steep price, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:09:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If I'm choosing between the two, it's Butler every day of the week (as long as he's healthy).

agreed - if I'm acquiring Butler, it's to add to Smart and Crowder, not replace them

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:44:02 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

agreed - if I'm acquiring Butler, it's to add to Smart and Crowder, not replace them

Yep that would be wonderful but Chicago have to accept. I agree that DeRozan is overall the lesser player, but not by much. The stats I've listed don't show Butler's defensive impact which is huge. But in signing DeRozan we would be giving up nothing. Of course following my logic we could sign both..

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Derozen will have too many suitors. don't see him signing in Boston. Isn't he an LA kid? wouldn't be surprised if he goes there.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
DeRozan 100%. I like Butler but recent injuries and the asking price doesn't appeal to me. Also DeRozan may play better with others. Never heard rumors of arguments between Lowry and DeRozan like there was between Butler and Rose. And of course biggest plus is you are using salary instead of assets. Assets that can be used to acquire another player maybe like Favors if Jazz miss playoffs or dare we say Cousins.

Player Vs Player
Butler>DeRozan
Player Vs Deal and DeRozan
Butler <<<DeRozan, Top 5 pick, two good Celtic players.
No brainer.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 01:37:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would be so happy to have Butler on this team, but there is no way I am giving up Smart, Crowder, and the BKN 1st...more likely one of those three along with lesser players, picks.

So the obvious choice in your scenario is DeRozan. Whenever you can sign a premier free agent without giving up anything, you do it and don't look back. Do you think SAS has any regrets about outright signing Aldridge rather than trading their players/picks for another PF?

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
DeRozan 100%. I like Butler but recent injuries and the asking price doesn't appeal to me. Also DeRozan may play better with others. Never heard rumors of arguments between Lowry and DeRozan like there was between Butler and Rose. And of course biggest plus is you are using salary instead of assets. Assets that can be used to acquire another player maybe like Favors if Jazz miss playoffs or dare we say Cousins.

Player Vs Player
Butler>DeRozan
No brainer.
If the "top 5 pick" is the fifth pick, that isn't particularly helpful.

I'm not sure why you specified top 5 anyway. The Nets have the 4th worst record. They could end up with the 7th pick (though unlikely). They could be anywhere from 1-7. The odds are they pick 6 are currently actually higher than the odds we pick #1.

Would you trade Smart for the #5 pick in this year's draft? If not, considering Butler has a way higher value than Smart, I would be careful about exaggerating the value of the NJ pick.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 02:41:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Player Vs Player
Butler>DeRozan
No brainer.
If the "top 5 pick" is the fifth pick, that isn't particularly helpful.

I'm not sure why you specified top 5 anyway. The Nets have the 4th worst record. They could end up with the 7th pick (though unlikely). They could be anywhere from 1-7. The odds are they pick 6 are currently actually higher than the odds we pick #1.

Would you trade Smart for the #5 pick in this year's draft? If not, considering Butler has a way higher value than Smart, I would be careful about exaggerating the value of the NJ pick.
That is your opinion. As it stands the pick is slotted at 4 so I was being generous on saying top 5. No one can predict lottery and based on true odds it should remain 4.  And as far as trading Smart for the 5th pick it depends on the player available. Bender is suppose to be an elite defensive PF/C prospect if he is there he may be worth Smart. After all many here are willing to do Noel for Smart. So the pick does have excellent value. Butler is what he is. No one is under selling him or over selling the pick. We are talking about a sum DeRozan, Nets pick, and two good Celtics players. That is much better than just Butler.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Gotta agree here.

DeRozan has looked like an absolute stud on the offense end this year. But Butler's above average two way presence make him more desirable. I don't give Smart, Crowder and the Brook pick for him though. Thats a no way deal for me.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Obviously if you are talking about trading for someone or acquiring someone in free agency, you almost have to take the free agent because it costs you nothing (other than cap space).  That said, Butler is better than DeRozan and I don't think it is all that close really (don't get me wrong DeRozan is a strong player, but Butler is a step up).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Not when we sign Durant to a max contract this summer ;)

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Any of them would fit, but I choose DeRozan. Butler's knee issues still tell you something .

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I would much rather trade for Butler than sign DeRozan, but if DeRozan wants to come here I'd look into signing him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 12:06:55 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
It's weird to say but Butler's biggest issue is his health
I am afraid Thib had destroyed an iron man