Author Topic: Joel Embid adding three point shot to his game... (Recent workout videos)  (Read 13314 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Why do people hope Embiid fails?

I don't wish failure on Embiid.  It's just amusing to point out how badly Philly could be screwed if he never gets healthy.

Mike
There's definitely a little bit of fans here hoping he fails.  I mean, I hope Philly fails in general.  They are a long-time rival of the Celtics.  But I don't want to root against Embiid getting healthy.  That's poor taste.  And I've obviously wasted a lot of time here defending Philly strategy when I feel like the majority of this forum doesn't really give it enough credit. 

I still think Embiid will be ok and I think an intelligent GM can make that team competitive pretty quickly.

It's a little hard to take the "I hope Philly fails in general" too seriously when you're so deeply invested in the idea of them being successful and proving wrong "the majority of this forum."

Mike
i was also "deeply invested" in the idea that Brooklyn pick ended up outside the top 5, but I assure you I've been rooting for that to happen as well.

The difference is that NO ONE could keep arguing that the Nets pick is going to end up outside the top 5 because, you know, they kept losing games.  Hence, you pretty much stopped posting about that.
I know, it's great, right?  That pick is basically a lock for top 6 at this point.  It's awesome. 

I've long been hoping for the Philly plan to fail, but man... it still looks like it will probably work out for them.
Hoping for philly to fail does not align with hoping for embiid to be sucesful
Ideal world:  They panic-trade him Boston, he becomes the next super-phenom, Boston wins 30+ years of titles (since by the 2036, I'm hoping there's a cure for aging) and Philly toils in misery forever.  *shrug*

I'd like to see what a healthy Embiid can do as a fan of the sport.  I'd like to see what D'Angelo Russell becomes as well, but as a Celtic fan, it will pain me to see these studs shining for our rivals. 

Yeah, it's hard to root against a team while rooting for a player.  As someone who firmly had the Seattle Supersonics as my 2nd favorite team (living in Seattle it can't be avoided), I truly root against the Thunder every playoffs...  but man, I can't hate Durant. 

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I don't wish failure on Embiid.  It's just amusing to point out how badly Philly could be screwed if he never gets healthy.

Mike
There's definitely a little bit of fans here hoping he fails.  I mean, I hope Philly fails in general.  They are a long-time rival of the Celtics.  But I don't want to root against Embiid getting healthy.  That's poor taste.  And I've obviously wasted a lot of time here defending Philly strategy when I feel like the majority of this forum doesn't really give it enough credit. 

I still think Embiid will be ok and I think an intelligent GM can make that team competitive pretty quickly.

It's a little hard to take the "I hope Philly fails in general" too seriously when you're so deeply invested in the idea of them being successful and proving wrong "the majority of this forum."

Mike
i was also "deeply invested" in the idea that Brooklyn pick ended up outside the top 5, but I assure you I've been rooting for that to happen as well.

The difference is that NO ONE could keep arguing that the Nets pick is going to end up outside the top 5 because, you know, they kept losing games.  Hence, you pretty much stopped posting about that.
I know, it's great, right?  That pick is basically a lock for top 6 at this point.  It's awesome. 

I've long been hoping for the Philly plan to fail, but man... it still looks like it will probably work out for them.
Ideal world:  They panic-trade him Boston, he becomes the next super-phenom, Boston wins 30+ years of titles (since by the 2036, I'm hoping there's a cure for aging) and Philly toils in misery forever.  *shrug*

I'd like to see what a healthy Embiid can do as a fan of the sport.  I'd like to see what D'Angelo Russell becomes as well, but as a Celtic fan, it will pain me to see these studs shining for our rivals. 

Yeah, it's hard to root against a team while rooting for a player.  As someone who firmly had the Seattle Supersonics as my 2nd favorite team (living in Seattle it can't be avoided), I truly root against the Thunder every playoffs...  but man, I can't hate Durant.
I can live with that. I guess I loved lynch and hated Seattle.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Mike

Mike

I can live with that. I guess I loved lynch and hated Seattle.
On the flip side, I think you can hate a player while loving a team.  I never could buy into the Rasheed Wallace Celtic era. 

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think there are big time warning signs on Embid.  I would pass unless we can get him off the street or for a second rounder.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Embiid's stroke is nice, don't get me wrong, but:

https://youtu.be/i5P6DBA21Ew

To quote the great Allen Iverson, "We talkin' bout practice!"
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
I read recently on realgm from a poster who goes by the handle of Dr J's Afro that the Sixers were planning to have a Embiid bobble head night , they were going to give the first 5 thousand in attendance a free one to try and increase the numbers and to remind the locals of who Embiid actually is.Unfortunately the manufacturing company had to do a total recall because they discovered a slight crack in the design and didn't want them falling apart and have any potential lawsuits on their hands, sad story, I believe Dr J's Afro as a source too.

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I think there are big time warning signs on Embid.  I would pass unless we can get him off the street or for a second rounder.

id consider giving up a late lottery pick for him
Greg

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
During the offseason, everybody is adding a 3 point shot. Same thing with all the guys on IR. I'd love to see this guy come back, be healthy, and play awesome basketball. But I'll believe it when it happens.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think when it is all said and done, Embiid will be the most physically dominant player the NBA has ever seen. He will far surpass Shaq.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think when it is all said and done, Embiid will be the most physically dominant player the NBA has ever seen. He will far surpass Shaq.
[dang]. That is bold.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Hahaha I forgot they had Optimus Prime.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think when all is said and done, you will be ridiculously wrong.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

If he ever gets healthy that's certainly a possibility. But that is a monumental "if."
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17
I think when all is said and done, you will be ridiculously wrong.
I do recognize the grandiose in the assumption that I have made, but more likely than not, Embiid is going to be a truly a one in a generation talent. His versatility out there is simply amazing, he has the physical characteristics of Dwight Howard in his prime, and the refinement of all time greats such as Kareem around the rim. As seen in the videos the OP of this thread kindly provided, his range is almost limitless. Yes, his personality sometimes overshadows his perceived basketball acumen, like his valiant attempts of being a suitor for the world renowned cultural icon Rihanna; all in all for good reason.

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17
Hahaha I forgot they had Optimus Prime.
I am a fan of the Transformers stuff, but I am not as well-versed in is lore. Was shaq featured in one of their episodes? I am quite excited to see what the franchise does without Bay; his movies have more fireworks than even the Celtics front office would want.