Author Topic: Joel Embid adding three point shot to his game... (Recent workout videos)  (Read 13315 times)

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Why do people hope Embiid fails?

I don't wish failure on Embiid.  It's just amusing to point out how badly Philly could be screwed if he never gets healthy.

Mike
There's definitely a little bit of fans here hoping he fails.  I mean, I hope Philly fails in general.  They are a long-time rival of the Celtics.  But I don't want to root against Embiid getting healthy.  That's poor taste.  And I've obviously wasted a lot of time here defending Philly strategy when I feel like the majority of this forum doesn't really give it enough credit. 

I still think Embiid will be ok and I think an intelligent GM can make that team competitive pretty quickly.

It's a little hard to take the "I hope Philly fails in general" too seriously when you're so deeply invested in the idea of them being successful and proving wrong "the majority of this forum."

Mike

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The kid can shoot, but he would benefit from having a higher release on his shot imo.

im not saying he can't shoot.  But everyones shot will look good when theyre able to take the same shot over and over and over again from the same spot.  Anyones thats been taught about muscle memory and how to shoot a basketball at least.

I think the guy still has the potential to be really really good, but theres really nothing to take away from this video
Greg

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I don't wish failure on Embiid.  It's just amusing to point out how badly Philly could be screwed if he never gets healthy.

Mike
There's definitely a little bit of fans here hoping he fails.  I mean, I hope Philly fails in general.  They are a long-time rival of the Celtics.  But I don't want to root against Embiid getting healthy.  That's poor taste.  And I've obviously wasted a lot of time here defending Philly strategy when I feel like the majority of this forum doesn't really give it enough credit. 

I still think Embiid will be ok and I think an intelligent GM can make that team competitive pretty quickly.

It's a little hard to take the "I hope Philly fails in general" too seriously when you're so deeply invested in the idea of them being successful and proving wrong "the majority of this forum."

Mike
i was also "deeply invested" in the idea that Brooklyn pick ended up outside the top 5, but I assure you I've been rooting for that to happen as well.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I he can add healthy feet to his game, that'd be fantastic.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Mike

Mike
i was also "deeply invested" in the idea that Brooklyn pick ended up outside the top 5, but I assure you I've been rooting for that to happen as well.
Hoping Joel Embiid is succesful and hoping Philly fails seem mutually exclusive to me.

You write that the forum doesnt give Phillys rebuild enough credit and that is exactly why I want them to fail.

They havent gotten the level of credit they deserve. They have 5 great assets Saric, Okafor, Noel, Embiid, # 1 lotto odds, even a few nice role players like Covington. Actually they only have Covington.

With all those assets it is entirely possible that they could vault into long term contention with in a year or two.

To outline a simple plan,
 1: Embiid returns to health becomes a star
2: Okafor or Noel is traded for a  very good pg
3: Noel or Okafor is moved for  a very good wing
4: Philly takes a top 5 pospect
5: Saric returns from Europe and becomes a solid starting 4.

Boom. all of a sudden you have a really nice team.

I dont want that to happen. Take out #1 and everything gets harder. I dont want his career to suck, but I dont want him to reach half his potential.

In this scenario, not only is another East team and an historic rival all of a sudden a really good team, but the tanking strategy is really validated in a way it never has before. We have never seen such long term committed tanking prior to Hinkie.

its a copy cat league, and I dont want to see more teams aggressively tanking. I want to see less teams do that.

Except for brooklyn. They have my persmission to tank.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
And maybe should add some body armor too!

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Embiid can play injury free here on out (a big if), I think he will emerge as one of the top 3 players in the NBA over time. He is an incredible athlete with great foot work, shooting touch, defensive presence.  Just would love to have him  on my team.  If if if.....

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I'm goi g to have to see him play 20 NBA games for he to believe he is alright. And can take 35 minutes a night at FULL throttle.

Lopez seems to have defeated the jinx ....maybe he can too ....just would NOT bet the ranch on it.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

No Nick. Embiid is a couple of three pointers away from the Hall of Fame. Deal with it haha!

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

Mike

The difference is that NO ONE could keep arguing that the Nets pick is going to end up outside the top 5 because, you know, they kept losing games.  Hence, you pretty much stopped posting about that.

You have devoted considerable effort to arguing with people over the Sixers because their ultimate tanking result is yet to be determined, which produced the decidedly odd result of a supposed Celtics fan on a Celtics message board incessantly criticizing and antagonizing other Celtics fans for the mortal sin of thinking the guy running the Philadelphia 76ers might be something less than a complete genius.

It got to the point where you were proven to be totally wrong about Embiid and the only reason you were wrong was your utter refusal to recognize what pretty much everyone else in the sports world could see.  It's hard to believe a guy THAT deeply invested in Philly's plan for success is also strongly hoping for them to fail.

Mike

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
If Embiid can play injury free here on out (a big if), I think he will emerge as one of the top 3 players in the NBA over time. He is an incredible athlete with great foot work, shooting touch, defensive presence.  Just would love to have him  on my team.  If if if.....

what the heck? you got this from 18 games at Kansas? He is gonna be better than all of the following besides 2?
Lebron
KD
Westbrook
Antonio Davis
Karl Towns
Harden
Curry
etc?

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Mike

Mike

The difference is that NO ONE could keep arguing that the Nets pick is going to end up outside the top 5 because, you know, they kept losing games.  Hence, you pretty much stopped posting about that.
I know, it's great, right?  That pick is basically a lock for top 6 at this point.  It's awesome. 

I've long been hoping for the Philly plan to fail, but man... it still looks like it will probably work out for them. 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

No Nick. Embiid is a couple of three pointers away from the Hall of Fame. Deal with it haha!
Is this meant for me? Is this comedy? I don't get it.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Mike

Mike

I know, it's great, right?  That pick is basically a lock for top 6 at this point.  It's awesome. 

I've long been hoping for the Philly plan to fail, but man... it still looks like it will probably work out for them.
Hoping for philly to fail does not align with hoping for embiid to be sucesful
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think many of you spend more time pinning LarBird33's opinions down than he puts thought or logic into them.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford