Author Topic: Joel Embid adding three point shot to his game... (Recent workout videos)  (Read 13181 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I still think Embiid has a chance to be very good.
That you Greg Oden.. jk

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I still think Embiid has a chance to be very good.
That you Greg Oden.. jk
Lol... We've actually seen some surprisingly good results from bone graft surgery.  Durant and Brook Lopez come to mind.  It sounds like Embiid could have played this year, but they didn't want him to re-injure himself... the bone graft was intended to give him the best chance of having a long career.   I'd still bet on him playing.  Might be a dumb bet at this point, but it's a bet I'd make.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
He needs to add a foot to his game.
but wouldnt having 3 feet make it difficult for him to dribble and run?

;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
but wouldnt have 3 feet make it difficult for him to dribble and run?

;)
Haha!  It wouldn't make him any better or worse than he has shown so far.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

;)
touche! and a tp for the humor.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Why do people hope Embiid fails?

I don't wish failure on Embiid.  It's just amusing to point out how badly Philly could be screwed if he never gets healthy.

Mike

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I'll need to see him go up against a chair in practice to get a better idea.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The Hinkie, "I didn't screw up", PR machine at work.

Next to Len Bias, this guy has to be the best guy never to have played in the  NBA.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

;)
touche! and a tp for the humor.

TP to both you guys.

But in fairness, due to his injury history, he somehow needs to get a leg up on his competition.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Has he added "capable of staying healthy enough to play in an actual NBA game" to his game?

Do we have precedent for a player missing his first two seasons in the league and then going on to become a regular, productive player?

I can't think of a player that this has happened with in at least the last 25 years. There have been a few players the missed close to two seasons partway through their career and come back to be productive. Grant Hill for example played in 18 combined games in 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 (and 30 the next). He obviously came back as a very solid player and had a nice run as a capable starter. However, he went from top 5 player in the league to an above average starter.

Big Z missed his entire second season and the majority of his 3rd. and obviously had a nice career. At the same time both these guys had already played in NBA level competition.

I think it is also easy to forget that Embiid didn't even finish his college career healthy so hasn't played competitive basketball in over 2 years at this point.

Related to people hoping he fails, I don't really think that is the case. I don't even think it is matter of not liking Philly. At this point I think people need to realize this a Celtics forum and this guy hasn't played competitive basketball since 3/4 of the way through his one season at Kansas. Still for some reason every month to 6 weeks we get a thread about him "looking like a monster" or "dominating in practice" or in this case, adding a 3 point shot. It gets old after a while especially when we won't get to see the guy on a court until at least summer league. If he starts playing well there, I would at least be interested in it. At this point though, I think myself and other posters have just had too much of this for going on two years now.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
practice won't convince me much. So he is practicing shooting...cool

let's see if he can stay relatively healthy on the court first.

Offline Funk_e_Frank

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
2 years removed from ball is a long time. Even if he goes full contact this off season he's going to be a project from hell. He has to learn a whole new game in the NBA and still shake off all that rust. Good thing he's young and has a chance to still become a good player. Also he has a good front court player to practice with to get him better.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I don't wish failure on Embiid.  It's just amusing to point out how badly Philly could be screwed if he never gets healthy.

Mike
There's definitely a little bit of fans here hoping he fails.  I mean, I hope Philly fails in general.  They are a long-time rival of the Celtics.  But I don't want to root against Embiid getting healthy.  That's poor taste.  And I've obviously wasted a lot of time here defending Philly strategy when I feel like the majority of this forum doesn't really give it enough credit. 

I still think Embiid will be ok and I think an intelligent GM can make that team competitive pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:09:15 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Mike
There's definitely a little bit of fans here hoping he fails.  I mean, I hope Philly fails in general.  They are a long-time rival of the Celtics.  But I don't want to root against Embiid getting healthy.  That's poor taste.  And I've always wasted a lot of time here defending Philly strategy when I feel like the majority of this forum doesn't really give it enough credit. 

I still think Embiid will be ok and I think an intelligent GM can make that team competitive pretty quickly.

I don't think we hope for Embiid to fail, I personally feel, the kid is so young and yet he missed two seasons with injuries and surgery. I find that to be a red flag in my books. Plus the articles about his work ethics are a cause of concerns too

http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/16/philadelphia-76ers-sam-hinkie-joel-embiid-brett-brown-process

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/76ers-joel-embiid-physically-threatened-strength-coach-101615

his potential is sky high. In college he is a good player, smooth, and great defender, but we have yet to see him in action in the NBA and everyone is dubbing him a potential super star, or the 2nd coming of Hakeem. Let's see the kid first before everyone is riding on the Embiid bandwagon

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Scalabrine was phenomenal in practice too.