Author Topic: UFC 196  (Read 5389 times)

Re: UFC 196
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 09:51:23 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
When I was fighting MMA several years back, one of my trainers trained with the Diaz brothers in California for awhile. He said they were the most white trash people you would ever meet, but they were funny as hell and some of the hardest workers he'd ever met.

What camp? Cesar Gracie? I trained with Jake Shields and he's a really humble/quiet guy. In fact, that's the vibe I get from both Nick and Nate. Totally different when off camera.

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 10:26:37 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Yeah McGregor looked really tired to me and that made him drop his guard.  He threw a bunch of spin kicks and I think one kind of hit.  It just wasn't a smart fight by him at all.  Diaz hung in credit to him after his eye was opened up.

I thought the Holm v Tate fight was really fun to watch.  Tate fought the fight as she needed to and I think Holm is a really impressive fighter for me to watch, in that she has zero of that cockiness to her and is just so determined.   Actually brutal watching her not tap but just goes to show.

I do not think MMA benefits from that kind of cockiness the way boxing does.  I think every time it's seen that fighter gets theirs real soon.  Everyone is too good and there are too many ways to lose.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 01:04:39 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
McGregor connects often. It's kind of silly to think he wouldn't had connected again on Aldo.

You make some valid points about his lack of ground game but you seem a little unrealistic with your overall assessment of McGregor. The guy was owning Diaz. But Diaz was bigger and Conor couldn't put him down.

Was a great fight. Diaz is cool Shiz.

I honestly don't think he was ever owning Diaz. Sure he had some really nice connections with the left hand, but once Diaz absorbed 4 or 5 of them and kept going, it would have really rattled McGregor's mental strength.
 Diaz has a reputation for having an iron chin and stamina to fight 10 rounds if needed.
Diaz has a history of taking an absolute beating and just gritting it out and taking it to decision or submission.
Diaz' plan all along was to try and dodge the left hand, get McGregor tired and then use the jab to tire him out and eventually take it to the ground. And we all knew before this fight that McGregor's ground game is pretty rookie- it's what made this fight so interesting and I honestly was shocked when I saw that Dana White had lined up Diaz, when McGregor could have fought Pettis and particularly Cerrone for more of a stand up duel.

I actually picked both winners tonight which was nice after McGregor owned Aldo in 10 seconds.
Diaz just had to survive the first round and Connor moving up so much weight meant he'd be gassed pretty quickly- especially when he wants to KO Diaz.

I also think Diaz got in Connor's head a little bit a few days ago when he said to Connor on a Fox interview ' You better hope you get that KO in the first round, you better hope'. It really seemed to shake Connor and agitate him and Nate acted liked he knew if he could survive the first round barrage of Connor's left hand, then he'd have an excellent chance of submitting Connor.

Connor's chin is pretty suspect too after this. Diaz isn't the best puncher and yeah Connor was gassed, but he basically gave up after 3 straight lefts from Diaz.
Diaz must have taken 10 or 12 left hands and uppercuts and it barely phased him.

I said it when they first announced it, but Dos Anjos will kill McGregor. He'll kill Diaz again too.
I think McGregor will kill everyone back down at 155, although Aldo seeing this will give him some mental confidence.

Connor's left hand is just so beautiful and I dunno how many guys at 155 can take a hit from hit  cleanly and survive.
Mcgregor was ahead the first two rounds until he got tagged. I get that the idea that this was a normal Diaz fight, but I was pretty surprised that Mcgregor was able to control that fight for so long. Perhaps he wasn't dominating but he had the upper hand.

And you might be right that the weight gain took away Conor's ability to properly train. He never recovered once he got tagged. If he had more endurance maybe he can clinch there and recover some.

But credit to Diaz. The guy ate some tough punches and responded.

Would be cool to get a Mcgregor v Diaz rematch.

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If there's one thing we've learned in MMA it's that speed doesn't scale down and power doesn't scale up.  Fast guys don't get faster when they drop a weight class and knockout power doesn't increase with extra pounds.

It also didn't help Conor that he was still trying to get in Diaz' head while the fight was going on.  There's nothing to get inside of.  Beating Diaz requires you to stay disciplined and wait for him to get frustrated.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Why Connor went to the ground is beyond me...

He did get hit, but he was hitting Diaz with his striking, I thought he should had just toughed out the round, catch his breath and go for it again.

Diaz's BJJ was great, defended the attempted takedown well, countered it to his advantage and it was game over.

Also, Holly Holm not tapping, hard to watch, but a champion's move. Totally respected it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 04:03:39 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

He did get hit, but he was hitting Diaz with his striking, I thought he should had just toughed out the round, catch his breath and go for it again.

Diaz's BJJ was great, defended the attempted takedown well, countered it to his advantage and it was game over.

Also, Holly Holm not tapping, hard to watch, but a champion's move. Totally respected it.

Yoki, he went to the ground cause he got rocked by one punch from Diaz, it was a desperate move to stay alive.

He made a fatal mistake by brawling with a bigger stronger Diaz. And he paid for it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:31:26 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 04:37:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

He pretty much admitted that he was gassed in the presser after the fight. He said he was throwing those haymakers like he would at a lower weight, and he quickly realized that he was out of energy much quicker than he would've been at his lighter weights. Combine that with taking a couple of good shots from Diaz, and he was clearly throwing in the towel at that point, or at least trying to catch his breath for awhile on the ground.

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 05:16:42 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Yoki, he went to the ground cause he got rocked by one punch from Diaz, it was a desperate move to stay alive.

He made a fatal mistake by brawling with a bigger stronger Diaz. And he paid for it.

He did? Guess I missed that.

He had Diaz bloodied though. Surely Connor was getting his shots thru.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 08:27:25 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This is why I like McGregor and was sad to see him lose

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCoCsjbLztN/

thenotoriousmma I stormed in and put it all on the line. I took a shot and missed.
I will never apologize for taking a shot.
S**t happens.
I'll take this loss like a man. I will not shy away from it. I will not change who I am. If another champion goes up 2 weights let me know.
If your tired of me talking money, take a nap.
I'll still be here when you wake up with the highest PPV and the gate. Still talking multi 7's.
Thank you to the true support and f**k the hate that came out of the woodwork. I love it all. Its still steak for breakfast.
I've been here many times in my life in some form or another. I'll eat it all and come back stronger.
Aldo you are a p***y. Dos anjos you are a p***y.
When the history books are written, I showed up. You showed up on Twitter.
To the fans! Never ever shy away from challenges. Never run from adversity. Face yourself head on.
Nate I will see you again.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip