Author Topic: Can Mickey please take all Zeller's minutes?  (Read 17640 times)

Can Mickey please take all Zeller's minutes?
« on: March 05, 2016, 09:12:09 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Zeller offers no rim protection at all , and on offense is either a pick and roll a running hook or a mid range J. I think Mickey could offer just as much on offense , while being able to be a real defensive anchor for the 2nd unit .

Please just play the kid .

Re: Can Mickey please take all Zeller's minutes?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:17:10 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Seconded. Throw Zeller into the Boston Harbor.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He is just not that good yet or ready to play. If he was better than Zeller right now he would be playing. People just need to get it. The kid isn't ready yet. We have to wait until next year to see what he can do. This year is about winning and Stevens feels playing the best players wins games. Mickey isn't one of our ten best players, so he doesn't play.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
He is just not that good yet or ready to play. If he was better than Zeller right now he would be playing. People just need to get it. The kid isn't ready yet. We have to wait until next year to see what he can do. This year is about winning and Stevens feels playing the best players wins games. Mickey isn't one of our ten best players, so he doesn't play.

That explanation doesn't cut it . Zeller is non existent as a defender . Micky clearly has a knack for protecting the rim . He has offensive skills too . He may need time to learn where to be on offense ,BUT there is still 20+ games left to try and work him into the rotation .

Zeller is ok in spurts when you need and offensive boost , but Mickey is an Ibaka type defender IMO .

Zeller is so soft , will be happy when he leaves next year .
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:51:44 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 10:46:46 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13

I guarantee you Mickey is already better than Zeller he just needs minutes to prove it.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 11:29:17 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Seen enough of Zeller to last me a lifetime.   Apparently the extra wins Zeller brings is key to bringing in a big FA or a big playoff run.   I'm not seeing it. 

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 11:51:43 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Mickey should take Jerebko's minutes in my humble opinion.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 12:12:22 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
Zeller offers no rim protection at all , and on offense is either a pick and roll a running hook or a mid range J. I think Mickey could offer just as much on offense , while being able to be a real defensive anchor for the 2nd unit .

Please just play the kid .
to whom are you addressing this plea? to the cb community? sure, the next time we can substitute players in a live game, we will do so. or maybe you are addressing this to CBS? if so, you might want to email him personally because i don't think he visits here often.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 12:47:51 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Seen enough of Zeller to last me a lifetime.   Apparently the extra wins Zeller brings is key to bringing in a big FA or a big playoff run.   I'm not seeing it.

So you're advocating for Mickey so we can win fewer games?  I thought the whole point was to try to win?

Free agents frequently look for a team that's got a shot at winning a championship, so yes winning more games helps attract Free Agents.  And yes, I'd love to see us make a playoff run.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 12:54:33 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

So you're advocating for Mickey so we can win fewer games?  I thought the whole point was to try to win?

Free agents frequently look for a team that's got a shot at winning a championship, so yes winning more games helps attract Free Agents.  And yes, I'd love to see us make a playoff run.

I don't think Zeller has contributed to any wins.  Maybe 1 or 2 if any at all.   I think he's a net negative overall, even if he's had a few positive moments.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 10:28:49 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

You really need to get away from that argument you've closed yourself into.

Whether it be true or not in this case. It's your go to opinion on issues like this and it makes no sense that you do so.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 10:37:32 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
As bad as Zeller is, and he is bad... he is seasoned. He knows what he's supposed to do. Mickey is raw, he doesn't even know what he doesn't know yet.

The fact is Mickey will never gain experience if he continually sits on the bench. This is the problem with trying to win "now", while your rebuilding at the same time. Kids that should be playing a little, sit on the bench.

But I agree, he needs to take some of Zeller's minutes. Zeller really is timid, and weak most of the time.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 10:40:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Whether it be true or not in this case.
Why exactly? It makes complete sense. If Mickey were playing better than Zeller he would be playing because Stevens wants to win games.

Sorry if I believe that Mickey's game should be more than just being able to block a couple shots a night, but I do. Mcikey has to learn to block out better, switch on the outside better without getting lost, play the pick and roll and pick and pop better, box out better, throw the outlet pass better, roll to the basket better, set screens better, pass better, and know his overall role better.

Mickey still needs developmental time and you can't get that on a team fighting for home court advantage in the playoffs. He  can shine in the D-League all he wants but the NBDL is not the NBA. The Red Claws are not the Celtics. His defensive mistakes he constantly makes in the D-League can be covered up quick with athleticism in the D-League but not in the big league. NBA players will actually play NBA defense against him and not that horrid brand of defense they play in the NBDL.

When his game exceeds that of Zeller as a total player, he will play because Stevens wants to win.

It's a sound argument and makes logical sense. What's the argument to play him? Zeller is bad? Well, my guess is that Stevens feels that if he gives Mickey regular minutes he will be worse than Zeller. I'll go with what the coach thinks and does and from what I have seen of Mickey thus far.

He is just not ready.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Zeller has had some bad games but some fine ones too.  One thing a lot of people need to realize is he has effects from just being in the game.  If there's anything Zeller does well, it's catch and finish and roll on the pick and roll (he can pop some as well).  That changes how defenses have to play the pick and roll and it collapses the defense and gives room for shooters and drives.  That's helping us out even if he hasn't been great.

I like Mickey quite a bit.   I do not think he is ready to contribute more than Zeller.  I actually wouldn't mind seeing him take some of Jerebko's minutes perhaps (who has been pretty up and down).  I think with Olynyk out we need Zeller to play some minutes.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

Whether it be true or not in this case.
Why exactly? It makes complete sense. If Mickey were playing better than Zeller he would be playing because Stevens wants to win games.

Sorry if I believe that Mickey's game should be more than just being able to block a couple shots a night, but I do. Mcikey has to learn to block out better, switch on the outside better without getting lost, play the pick and roll and pick and pop better, box out better, throw the outlet pass better, roll to the basket better, set screens better, pass better, and know his overall role better.

Mickey still needs developmental time and you can't get that on a team fighting for home court advantage in the playoffs. He  can shine in the D-League all he wants but the NBDL is not the NBA. The Red Claws are not the Celtics. His defensive mistakes he constantly makes in the D-League can be covered up quick with athleticism in the D-League but not in the big league. NBA players will actually play NBA defense against him and not that horrid brand of defense they play in the NBDL.

When his game exceeds that of Zeller as a total player, he will play because Stevens wants to win.

It's a sound argument and makes logical sense. What's the argument to play him? Zeller is bad? Well, my guess is that Stevens feels that if he gives Mickey regular minutes he will be worse than Zeller. I'll go with what the coach thinks and does and from what I have seen of Mickey thus far.

He is just not ready.

All I'm saying, irrespective of this particular situation, is that you need to step away from that argument because it's the one you ALWAYS use to explain why a player doesn't get on the floor.

The league is littered with players who are ready to contribute but just don't get the playing time. There's a real hierarchy in the NBA that influences this types of decisions as well. 

You seem to hold a coach on a pedestal without room for other explanations, as in, maybe he's wrong about what certain player might provide on the game as opposed to another regardless of their development level at that point.

That's my issue with the argument, not necessarily with this case, but with you throwing it around every time a scenario like this comes up.