Author Topic: Going Big Next Year  (Read 3250 times)

Going Big Next Year
« on: March 03, 2016, 05:33:36 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Hypothetically We land Horford in the off season.
 We Pick #5 and Ben, Brandon, Bender, Brown are all gone so we select Jakob Poeltl.

We also select Skal Labissiere if he slides that far. Is that too much size in today's NBA?
 We probably still take Amir back and let Sullinger go here.

Is this too many bigs in today's NBA.

Jakob Poeltl, Al Horford, Kelly Olynyk, Amir Johnson
 Jordan Mickey, Skal Labissiere

I'll say this. Jakob Poeltl can play ball. If he could shoot from further out, he'd be a no Brainer.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:57:26 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Going Big Next Year
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wouldn't let Sully go just to get Skal. 

You're missing Zeller completely.  are you planning on letting him go or keeping him? 

right now, we have 14 players on the roster.  Turner's up at the end of the year with Jonas and Amir on non-guaranteed deals.  that's potentially 4 openings with currently 8 draft pic, ks to be made (3 guaranteed deals) and high hopes of getting 1 or 2 really good FA's.

Preferably, if we're picking Number 5 (someone jumps us in the lottery) I'd rather trade it with some of the young players that aren't ready like Young, Rozier and Hunter for a solid player.  Keep Sully and one of Amir/Zeller if we can sign Horford.    I wouldn't mind flipping #5 and Rozier/Young for Noel if possible.  make it Rozier and Young for that matter.  Really souring on this draft.

Noel, Horford, KO, Sully, Amir/Zeller, Mickey is a pretty solid frontcourt.  if we get Skal with a later pick, the kid doesn't need to contribute for a couple of years and has time to develop into a solid player (fingers crossed)

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Hypothetically We land Horford in the off season.
 We Pick #5 and Ben, Brandon, Bender, Brown are all gone so we select Jakob Poeltl.

We also select Skal Labissiere if he slides that far. Is that too much size in today's NBA?
 We probably still take Amir back and let Sullinger go here.

Is this too many bigs in today's NBA.

Jakob Poeltl, Al Horford, Kelly Olynyk, Amir Johnson
 Jordan Mickey, Skal Labissiere

I'll say this. Jakob Poeltl can play ball. If he could shoot from further out, he'd be a no Brainer.

To answer your question No I do not think this is to many bigs you have basicly swapped out Sully, Zeller and Jerebko for Horford, Poeltl and Skal with Skal likely spending the intire season in Maine.

In this situation the Cs would primarily play a 3 big rotation of Horford and Amir starting with Ko playing big minutes off the bench. Poeltl and Mickey would battle it out for the 4th big man spot. This is very similar to this season where Sully, Amir and KO are the primary 3 and Lee/Zeller and fought for the 4th spot untl recent. I actually really like this situation because with time Poeltl can overtake Amir's exact role and Mickey then steps up as the 4th big after next season. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

You're missing Zeller completely.  are you planning on letting him go or keeping him? 

right now, we have 14 players on the roster.  Turner's up at the end of the year with Jonas and Amir on non-guaranteed deals.  that's potentially 4 openings with currently 8 draft pic, ks to be made (3 guaranteed deals) and high hopes of getting 1 or 2 really good FA's.

Preferably, if we're picking Number 5 (someone jumps us in the lottery) I'd rather trade it with some of the young players that aren't ready like Young, Rozier and Hunter for a solid player.  Keep Sully and one of Amir/Zeller if we can sign Horford.    I wouldn't mind flipping #5 and Rozier/Young for Noel if possible.  make it Rozier and Young for that matter.  Really souring on this draft.

Noel, Horford, KO, Sully, Amir/Zeller, Mickey is a pretty solid frontcourt.  if we get Skal with a later pick, the kid doesn't need to contribute for a couple of years and has time to develop into a solid player (fingers crossed)
As of now, Hunter, Young and Rozier get us a journeyman in return. Hunter hasn't performed well which has justified his slipping in the draft. Rozier was a reach pick for us who hasn't shown enough to make people rethink the consensus view. And Young has been a disaster. Finding people to take on their contracts to open up roster spots likely won't get us much talent in return.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Id say poeltl is a rather lackluster prospect. Solid big man in the long run, but at #5 I'd rather aim for the stars in dunn, Murray, or heild. I'd rather take shooting than a big, past few championship teams won without a dominant prototypical big.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 09:52:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I like the idea. Poeltl at 5 is absolutely a possibility. I think he has a really high floor and could start right away for a competitive team. I'd prefer if they went with the player that had the highest upside, but if the offseason went like this I'd be happy.

If we land outside of the top 2 my preference is to attempt to trade the pick. Target guys like Love, Blake, and Jimmy Butler. Start by offering the Nets and Mavs pick, then see what else it will take and go from there. If we trade for one of those guys we become even more attractive to Horford.

Also I'd rather have Sully on the team next year than Amir.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 10:25:01 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Id say poeltl is a rather lackluster prospect. Solid big man in the long run, but at #5 I'd rather aim for the stars in dunn, Murray, or heild. I'd rather take shooting than a big, past few championship teams won without a dominant prototypical big.

Poeltl is not the sexy pick but after Simmons, Ingram and Bender he is the right pick. He has so much going for him as a prospect yet people overlook it because the leagues stars are currently so perimeter orientated. I have little doubt in my mind that he will be a 15pt 10rb 2blk starting NBA center after 1-2 years of development. He has great hands, moves very well for being 7'1, has great defensive instincts (both as a man to man defender and in the P&R). The fact that we has shown a high level ability vs the P&R makes him the perfect anchor for the modern game.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

As of now, Hunter, Young and Rozier get us a journeyman in return. Hunter hasn't performed well which has justified his slipping in the draft. Rozier was a reach pick for us who hasn't shown enough to make people rethink the consensus view. And Young has been a disaster. Finding people to take on their contracts to open up roster spots likely won't get us much talent in return.
they're still legit prospects that have a value.  they're just not able to contribute to the team this year (and possibly next).  if adding them to the #5 gets us Noel (or another solid player), I think that's the way to go.  if moving just the 3 of them gets us a solid bench player, I'd strongly consider it depending on who that bench player is (basically what position they play).

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 12:44:14 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

#5+a couple marginal prospects would be a great deal for Noel. I'd be thrilled with that outcome--heck, even throw in an extra pick or two.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 12:53:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Poeltl and Zimmerman are kind of the same deal. Also a lot of Bigs in this draft. I would not take Poeltl at 5. Take Dunn, Murray or Hield and trade them say to Kings or Nuggets for their pick and a future 1st top 5 protected.
 I'm okay with drafting a few bigs overall just not reaching for one.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 01:51:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Poeltl and Horford with Kelly, Mickey, and Skal backing them up.  I'd be just fine with that. 

Might prefer a guy like Damion Jones or Damontas Sabonis instead of Skal, the sort of guy who could come in for 10-15 minutes at a time from day one and make an impact on the boards or by spreading the floor a bit and keeping the ball moving.

I get the sense that Skal is the sort of guy who will need a lot of time and a lot of leeway to develop.  He's not going to turn into the kind of player you'd hope if he's given the James Young treatment.

A lot would depend on Poeltl's ability to develop as a passer, and how much of a jumpshot he has outside of 10 feet.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Poeltl is not the sexy pick but after Simmons, Ingram and Bender he is the right pick. He has so much going for him as a prospect yet people overlook it because the leagues stars are currently so perimeter orientated. I have little doubt in my mind that he will be a 15pt 10rb 2blk starting NBA center after 1-2 years of development. He has great hands, moves very well for being 7'1, has great defensive instincts (both as a man to man defender and in the P&R). The fact that we has shown a high level ability vs the P&R makes him the perfect anchor for the modern game.

Tp CFan, Here is the thing that separates Jakob from the Next guy. Completely off the charts hand eye coordination, Amazing quickness and decisiveness with the ball down Low for a 7 footer.
 His main weakness is lack of range. He does everything else very well. Very versatile on defense, can switch, block shots, rebound, pass, incredibility efficient.

He is Kevin McHale like on offense. With the sheer speed of his post game, it's impressive to watch.

He has the offense we wanted in Okafor plus All Around defense. A great prospect.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 02:51:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

they're still legit prospects that have a value.  they're just not able to contribute to the team this year (and possibly next).  if adding them to the #5 gets us Noel (or another solid player), I think that's the way to go.  if moving just the 3 of them gets us a solid bench player, I'd strongly consider it depending on who that bench player is (basically what position they play).
Do any of them have any more value than an early second round pick? Hunter was drafted not far from the second round (#28) and has not distinguished himself. Most people considered our drafting of Rozier a reach at #16, and he too has bit distinguished himself, making his value less now than what other's projected before the draft. Young has been useless and is at that point where you consider not picking up the remainder of his rookie deal, leaving someone to take a flyer on him as a FA.

Adding them to the #5 will likely get us the same thing as just the #5 would get us.

Think of Gabe Pruitt or J.R. Giddens or JJJ.