Author Topic: (Thought) Simmons in Smart out  (Read 1805 times)

(Thought) Simmons in Smart out
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
If we win the lottery, I know a big IF, does that mean Smart is expendable if we pick Simmons? My thinking is, it seems that the trade packages have centered around Smart and a Brk pick. If we get Simmons couldn't we offer Smart and Brk '18, and Memphis '18 for a legitimate superstar?

Re: (Thought) Simmons in Smart out
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
If we win the lottery, I know a big IF, does that mean Smart is expendable if we pick Simmons? My thinking is, it seems that the trade packages have centered around Smart and a Brk pick. If we get Simmons couldn't we offer Smart and Brk '18, and Memphis '18 for a legitimate superstar?

no, they play two completely different positions. My biggest wish is Smart developing to an offensive threat but for now, I see him as an elite defender who can give us 12 ppg.

Simmons if he develops right away and can help us year 1...is similar to IT...he'll be a ball dominant player if his offense is good. That also does't mean IT is expendable. I feel that just gives us a young scoring option long term. Takes the load off of IT as well.

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:04:53 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
i would hate to see Smart go. He's a winner.

Besides, if that happened, I don't think we'd need a superstar anymore. Simmons+Smart is a rock-solid core moving forward and we have some of the league's best role players. I think there's a good chance at least one of them develops into a superstar.

- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wouldn't we want to see how they play with each other first?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd be more worried IT was gone as C's build around Simmons.

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:16:05 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I think IT (and most of the whole roster, actually) is too much of on a cost-controlled contract that it doesn't make sense to let him go. Besides, after drafting Simmons to be your franchise guy, you don't need to "blow it up" anymore. You have your terrific core set. Now you move forward and try and get better without giving up your main pieces.

- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:32:18 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd trade Smart to get a star, so if we can get a star for Smart after we draft Simmons then great.

I don't think Simmons would make Smart expendable because I think they would play well together. On the court together they could split ball handling duties so neither has too much on their plate early in their career.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 11:35:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I think IT (and most of the whole roster, actually) is too much of on a cost-controlled contract that it doesn't make sense to let him go. Besides, after drafting Simmons to be your franchise guy, you don't need to "blow it up" anymore. You have your terrific core set. Now you move forward and try and get better without giving up your main pieces.
I don't believe that. If PP was going to moved if C's got KD than IT could definitely be moved. All bets are off because Simmons will take 3 years to lead the team as a franchise player. IT will be 29 and contract no longer cost controlled.

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
how come I am feeling we are jumping the gun here?

Even if we won the lottery and draft Simmons, why are we trading Smart to get another superstar? Simmons isn't a sure superstar breakout yet. Matter fact, as some already pointed out, Smart will compliment Simmons. It'll take Simmons another 2-3 years to become a franchise player if he lives up to his potential. We aren't in win-now mode anyways, we should be patient and see the progress of Smart as Simmons plays.

I mean unless a VERY good deal comes along, I don't think it's the best idea to get rid of Smart. He's a legit leader who plays elite defense.

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I don't understand. Why would we trade Smart or Crowder when we are full of ohter solid players and great assets in picks? I hope that the times has changed and we can sign some big fish FA. Theres no point in giving up on our young potential, our foundation players.
The more I watch Al Horford play the more I wish we could have him this moment because that would be some serious team. Hope we get him in the summer without giving up on something...