Author Topic: If Nets pick lands at #4, a Jimmy Butler trade that keeps Smart, IT and Crowder  (Read 2252 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If the Brooklyn pick lands at #3 or #4 (where it's projected right now), I strongly believe this is something Danny will pursue.
So Jimmy Butler plays SG and SF.

I think our main goals in any trade for another 'star' are to keep IT, Crowder and one of Smart or Bradley with Smart being the favorite of those two.

2016 Brooklyn pick unprotected (currently#4)
2016 Dallas pick
2018 Brooklyn pick unprotected
Avery Bradley
Amir Johnson (Salary)

for Jimmy Butler+ filler.

-We keep our own 16' pick
-we keep the Brooklyn swap in 2017
-we keep the memohis 2018 first rounder
-we keep Smart, Crowder and IT
-we still have cap room for 2 max guys because of how cheap Jimmy's contract is.
-we look awfully good to Durant who can come and play PF or SF with Crowder coming off bench if he plays SF.

Thoughts?
I think the Bulls also ask for one of the Celtics 2016 pick or Terry Rozier in reality.

I think this would be a great move towards a championship if we know we won't get Simmons or Ingram and can immediately add Horford at PF or C to put out:

IT
Butler
Crowder
Olynyk
C -Horford

We could also run ultra small with
IT
Smart
Butler
Crowder
Horford

With KO off bench.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
You have my support, but I'm the easiest person to convince when it comes to trading teenagers for elite two-way NBA players in the prime of their careers. It may prove harder to convince those posters who want to exercise every pick and see a future Nowitzki or Porzingis in every tall skinny kid with an outside shot.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Two Brooklyn picks is a steep price to pay, but it might ultimately be worth it and necessary if the pick lands at number four.

I'd try my best to keep Amir, though, because there's no guarantee we get a competent center to replace him.

I'd do something like this:
2016 Brooklyn pick unprotected (currently#4)
2016 Dallas pick
2018 Brooklyn pick unprotected
Avery Bradley
Terry Rozier
Jonas Jerebko (Non-guaranteed Salary)

At that point, I think you could legitimately still chase two max free agents in Durant and Horford. The money would be tight, but I think it's still possible (or at least close) that you could sign both of those guys to max-level contracts after trading for Butler, though I think you'd have to waive Amir's non-guaranteed contract before doing so. It's a long shot, but think of that lineup!

PG: IT, Smart
SG: Crowder, Hunter/Young
SF: Butler, Turner (resigned)
PF: Durant, Mickey
C: Horford, KO

That's by far the strongest frontline in the league, and the backcourt is at least top 10. And I'd almost start Smart over IT in this lineup, because he'd be an absolute perfect sixth man on this team to take the offensive load when Butler and Durant were on the bench.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Is Jimmy Butler really worth all the hype though? What happens if his current injury drags him down along the season?

I think that's a lot to give up for him though.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd pass at that price unless you can guarantee KD. And I don't think KD wants to play PF. Ignoring the miracle of KD, AB is a decent player and works well off the ball. I'd think a shot at Lab or Bender makes more sense as the future of the bigs on this team is very much in doubt. You could probably even flip Dunn straight up for Noel and still add Hordford. Then draft Valentine or Beasley with Dallas pick for a wing with upside.

IT/Smart/Rozier
AB/Turner/Hunter
Crowder/Valentine/Young
Hordford/KO/Mickey
Noel/AJ/Zeller

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Is Jimmy Butler really worth all the hype though? What happens if his current injury drags him down along the season?

22.4 points
5.2 rebounds
4.3 assists
1.7 steals per game
45% FG
33% 3pt%

The reason I think we will go after him is because he is a scorer who also plays elite defense.
As Brad Stevens always says (and said recently regarding the trade deadline rumors), he is looking for players that can defend multiple positions, very well).

Jimmy Buckets does exactly that and he can also score 20 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists whilst wanting to take the big shots.

He's a true two way player and so much more valuable than just his excellent offensive numbers and he fits the identity of this team of hard nosed, defense first guys that are willing to play hard every night and defend till they fall over.

Vs the Raptors in January

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwv3Bt4gaE
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:26:03 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Did we trade multiple top 5 picks for KG? Or Ray Allen?

No multiple Brooklyn pick trades for the Jimmy Butlers of the world please.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

First off, the KG trade was a once in every 10 years kind of super trade.
That kind of trade is very unlikely of becoming even remotely possible for Danny Ainge in the modern NBA.
Secondly what multiple top 5 picks are you talking about?

This scenario says we have the #4 pick and we are trading it for a top 10-15 player.
Would you rather use the pick and draft someone at #4 or would you rather Jimmy Butler?

The Nets need just 10 more wins in 2017 and their pick will be around the #9 to #12 mark so you're high on some green candy if you think it's a safe top 5 pick with Sean Marks in charge now.
They have room for 2 max free agents after buying out Joe Johnson. This is RC Buford's protege we are talking about and that pick will most likely not even be a top 10 pick.

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
This is also why Chicago would think about trading there most valuable asset. That Chicago team seem to be going backwards, so a blow it up and start over might not be out of the question.

If I'm the Cs I'd role the dice and gamble on Butler. I would give up this years Nets pick, and any other but try to keep the next 2 Nets picks. Danny's going to active in the off season.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

That kind of trade is very unlikely of becoming even remotely possible for Danny Ainge in the modern NBA.

This scenario says we have the #4 pick and we are trading it for a top 10-15 player.
Would you rather use the pick and draft someone at #4 or would you rather Jimmy Butler?

The Nets need just 10 more wins in 2017 and their pick will be around the #9 to #12 mark so you're high on some green candy if you think it's a safe top 5 pick with Sean Marks in charge now.
They have room for 2 max free agents after buying out Joe Johnson. This is RC Buford's protege we are talking about and that pick will most likely not even be a top 10 pick.
I can go as far as Jimmy being a top 20 desirable asset. But no way is he a top 10 player. No way.

There will be a ton of teams with a ton of cash.  In 2007 we paid way less to get TWO future hall of famers.  (Meaning each individual trade was less).

Take out Avery Bradley and insert Terry Rozier and I can maybe do this sort of thing. Maybe an RJ Hunter if they'd rather have that.

We will also have tons of cash.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would do this deal in a heartbeat.

Giving up two Nets picks would be sad but Butler is 100% worth it. If the Bulls decide they want to blow it up 2017 is a good year to do it since that draft is supposed to be great.

Their current roster doesn't really fit what their coach wants to do, but I still think they will try to deal Rose and keep Butler then build with him as the centerpiece.

This trade might make more sense to me, if one of those picks went to Philly for Okafor, who could be sent home to Chicago to be the new hometown star.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

I can go as far as Jimmy being a top 20 desirable asset. But no way is he a top 10 player. No way.

There will be a ton of teams with a ton of cash.  In 2007 we paid way less to get TWO future hall of famers.  (Meaning each individual trade was less).

Take out Avery Bradley and insert Terry Rozier and I can maybe do this sort of thing. Maybe an RJ Hunter if they'd rather have that.

We will also have tons of cash.

He's a top 10 player hands down.
He's #11 in scoring in the NBA and is arguably a top 5 defender in the NBA.
He's not an offensive superstar but he's a defensive superstar who is a potential top 10 scorer.
Easily top 10.
So many people sleep on Jimmy Buckets.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Top 10? Eh.... That's where you kind of confuse me.

Yes I'm a huge Jimmy Buckets fan. Yes, I got extremely excited when the same signature you have, was with Mark Wahlberg and he said, "Celtics... Tom Brady is the Jimmy Butler of football."

I got doubly excited when I heard Jimmy Butler was going to give us a consideration at a visit/interview.

Was very blown when I saw obviously CHI wouldn't let him go.

Now I'm not opposed to the idea of trading two brooklyn picks. I think Butler is a huge asset, and I would certainly take Butler, Smart as our back court to guard Klay/Curry, and I think those two, as a physical and impactful defensive back court will pose many problems for most teams especially with sharpshooters and scorers.

I just am not sure Butler is worth giving up all of our picks for... Unless there is a handshake agreement that we'll get Horford, and possibly Durant.

I think on paper, Butler looks far more attractive than IT/Smart/Crowder. But with Butler on our team, free agents are already going to be pegging us as a top 3 team in the East.

Would like to keep Amir, and I know its crazy, but I had this idea of a three way team trade, where we send IT, future Brooklyn Nets pick, and two second rounders with filler for Okafor, who then gets sent along with AB, our Brooklyn pick, 2 second rounders, and maybe the Mavs or our pick for Butler.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different