Author Topic: Jimmy Butler for Crowder, Smart, Nets pick  (Read 7308 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler for Crowder, Smart, Nets pick
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 01:40:43 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
How many people in the Celtics front office are actually senior enough to be privy to this sort of information, and how many of those people do you think are stupid enough to tell that information to a friend who would post on Celticsblog given that would immediately out them and probably cost them their job?

There is roughly a 1% chance that this is actually true, that 1% being the probability that the poster just happened to randomly guess something that was actually discussed.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
At the beginning of the season I suggested we should trade Brooklyn 2016 pick for Butler and most posters were up on me like no, Butler isn't a star and all... back then I didn't think we could get him only for that pick plus filler(s), and now is the same...but, Smart, Crowder and a pick for Jimmy is overpay if you ask me. The Bulls aren't going anywhere with JB or without him. They wanted to trade Pau, Taj and Noah. Traded Kirk for the second time. Rose is rosted. Ok, they have Mirotić, McDermott and Portis, but that's not much.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 02:19:09 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Going on the premise this is true, I would be pretty devastated if the package included Crowder. His contract/production has to be at or near tops in the league and he's already become our team's leader (in my opinion). I could understand if it was Crowder and a couple of non-BKN firsts, but not the aforementioned package including our top 3 assets (along with IT).

However, if (and this is a huge IF) this move guaranteed KD to sign with us, then you obviously do it. Crowder, Smart, and the BKN pick is clearly worth Butler and KD.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 02:21:26 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Going on the premise this is true, I would be pretty devastated if the package included Crowder. His contract/production has to be at or near tops in the league and he's already become our team's leader (in my opinion). I could understand if it was Crowder and a couple of non-BKN firsts, but not the aforementioned package including our top 3 assets (along with IT).

However, if (and this is a huge IF) this move guaranteed KD to sign with us, then you obviously do it. Crowder, Smart, and the BKN pick is clearly worth Butler and KD.

That's not much of a statement though. I would rather have Butler, KD, and 13 D-Leaguers than everything we have right now - roster and draft picks. So obviously you'd do this trade if it guaranteed KD.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Smart, AB, JJ with 2017 Nets swap rights, Dallas 1st and Philly 2nd pick makes sense for Butler. Not the 2016 Nets pick or adding Crowder. Need Crowder next to Butler and Nets 2016 for future move.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Smart, AB, JJ with 2017 Nets swap rights, Dallas 1st and Philly 2nd pick makes sense for Butler. Not the 2016 Nets pick or adding Crowder. Need Crowder next to Butler and Nets 2016 for future move.
That is below market value. Makes no sense for Bulls. Much better to just keep Butler.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

That's not much of a statement though. I would rather have Butler, KD, and 13 D-Leaguers than everything we have right now - roster and draft picks. So obviously you'd do this trade if it guaranteed KD.

Oh, definitely - that was why I used the word, 'obviously.' I am just a huge fan of Crowder, and, even though he is beginning to get the respect he deserves, I still think there is more to be seen from him. He has proven he can shoot the three, drive to the hoop, shoot off the dribble or screens, and is a top-notch hard nosed defender. While some of these skills need to be refined, he has at least shown the ability to be relatively consistent in all of them.

I have mentioned this several times, but there is a reason he was singled out by the Cavs in last year's playoff series as the guy to go after. He has quickly become the heart and soul of our team and should be the captain.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 02:42:19 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Im not sure how I feel about this rumor. I like Butler but I don't see him as a number one star to build around. People are mentioning him as "following the path of Kawhi or Draymond but Jimmy is one/two years older then both of them. How much further can he grow at this point?

Maybe I am underrating his game or his defense, but I think Smart Crowder and that Brooklyn pick is way too much.

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 02:53:26 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Im not sure how I feel about this rumor. I like Butler but I don't see him as a number one star to build around. People are mentioning him as "following the path of Kawhi or Draymond but Jimmy is one/two years older then both of them. How much further can he grow at this point?

Steph Curry's turning 28 in a few weeks and is widely considered a late bloomer. Jimmy Butler, at 26 as of just this past September, still has a ton of room for growth.

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Crowder, Smart, and the BKN pick are 3 of the C's 5 best assets.

Butler is an excellent player, but I'd try to focus the Bulls on a deal containing 2 of the 3 pieces and a Pick 1 of C's 1st/DAL 1st/Rozier/Hunter.

I'd be very reluctant to trade Smart in any deal though. He has an excellent shot at developing into an elite player in due time. He's already elite defensively, but he has to be given time to continue progressing offensively.

Can he become an elite offensive player? There's plenty of evidence to indicate that there's a good probability of that occurring (once he becomes confident enough in his handle to drive on closeouts (ala Crowder), maneuver in the P&R, gets the benefit of the doubt on fouls, and reasonably improves in shooting accuracy, his scoring averages will jump).

The question then becomes... Butler is an All Star caliber player now, is he worth gambling on Smart and his potential to get to Butler's level, Crowder's continuous improvement, and the choice of one of the top collegiate players this year. He is, but I would gamble on Smart/Crowder/BKN 16 and not trade for Butler unless I could entice them with the deal mentioned above.

Would the salaries not matching up be a deterrent to this deal?

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
That is below market value. Makes no sense for Bulls. Much better to just keep Butler.
As is Crowder, Smart and Nets 2016 pick an overpay. C's should just keep them over Butler who is not a top 10 player

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 04:11:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In Jeff Clark's latest article http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/2/27/11120786/what-if-the-mystery-trade-target-wasnt-jahlil-okafor-was-it-kevin - one of the users commented:

Correct
Jimmy Butler was the target. A friend works in the front office, the deal agreed to was Jimmy Butler for Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, and Nets ’16 Pick. Agreed to by Celtics and Bulls, but Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf vetoed the trade. The Celtics will try again for Butler in the offseason.

by greenteam17 on Feb 27, 2016 | 8:27 AM up reply

100%, I have no agenda to push, and nothing to gain from promoting bad information. I know people will challenge or question this, but I wanted other Celtics fans to hear this because when I heard it I was floored. The goal was to get Butler to attract KD as a free agent. But now the offseason goal is to get two of: K Love, KD, and Butler. This is the goal, but obviously that doesn’t guarantee anything.

by greenteam17 on Feb 27, 2016 | 9:27 AM up reply

Your thoughts on the rumored deal?
puke

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 04:32:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why would you do that? Jimmy Butler is NOT that good.

I would not trade him straight up for Smart.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
why would you do that? Jimmy Butler is NOT that good.

I would not trade him straight up for Smart.

Now you're being silly... And I like Smart

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Who knows the validity of this but I feel that Danny has shown the willingness to overpay to get the guy he wants (think Winslow at the draft).

Butler is not THE guy but could be the guy that helps attract the guy (a la Ray Allen).  This seems the most plausible of all the speculation around this to date to me.