Author Topic: Why a trade for PG makes sense  (Read 1521 times)

Why a trade for PG makes sense
« on: February 27, 2016, 05:07:03 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Indiana Pacers currently sit 6th in a very even/average East. They have no trade chips that teams will really want other than Turner who they will want to build with, rather than trade. They will have a low ranked draft pick and have very little hope of attracting star free agents as normally Indiana have never been a free agent destination, yet alone a year removed where all teams will have cap room.

Bird will have to entertain thoughts of seeing whats out there for George as he will be 26 this year and if they were to strike gold at the draft in the next few years, by the time they develop into top players he will be bordering 30 and free agency.

If I was Larry i would trade PG for a treasure trove of picks and young talent, something Ainge has in abundance. Rozier/Smart, Hunter, Amir, Brooklyn 16 pick and future Boston pick would set up their future and give Ainge and Stevens their go to player.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 05:12:50 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: Why a trade for PG makes sense
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 05:42:02 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Why would you trade away your assets for PG when you could just sign KD for free?

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 06:22:58 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Why would you trade away your assets for PG when you could just sign KD for free?

Haha, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but Durant ain't leaving Westbrook and Ibaka for Thomas and Olynyk lol

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 09:11:02 AM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
If Im Indiana I build around PG not Turner even if he is older. Unless the bkn pick becomes top2 it will not be valuable enought to even get the pacers on the phone talking about George.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 09:22:22 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Im Indiana I build around PG not Turner even if he is older. Unless the bkn pick becomes top2 it will not be valuable enought to even get the pacers on the phone talking about George.

I would love George on the Cs, but understand that it isn't really plausible. Indy could make some moves to shore up their roster and go into win-now mode. Trading Turner and their pick could get them a very good established veteran. There are other players on their team that can play, but they are also getting older.

I think trading George is a last resort for them, but if he did become available, I think we would be saying good-bye to Crowder and at least two of the BKN picks to start.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 09:52:02 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It doesn't make sense for Indy.

I was hoping they would be awful and he would be a little slower back from injury so maybe we could try to trade for him.  But I just can't see it happening now.  Very big fan of him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 10:36:23 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
based upon the thread title, i thought this would be about the celtics picking up another point guard.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 11:00:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bird is not going to trade George for our pick, he may sound like a hick but the man is not dumb.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It would take too much to get him for it to be worth trading for him. C's would become Pacers.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Indiana Pacers currently sit 6th in a very even/average East. They have no trade chips that teams will really want other than Turner who they will want to build with, rather than trade. They will have a low ranked draft pick and have very little hope of attracting star free agents as normally Indiana have never been a free agent destination, yet alone a year removed where all teams will have cap room.

Bird will have to entertain thoughts of seeing whats out there for George as he will be 26 this year and if they were to strike gold at the draft in the next few years, by the time they develop into top players he will be bordering 30 and free agency.

If I was Larry i would trade PG for a treasure trove of picks and young talent, something Ainge has in abundance. Rozier/Smart, Hunter, Amir, Brooklyn 16 pick and future Boston pick would set up their future and give Ainge and Stevens their go to player.
They are already a playoff team and you want them to trade their all-NBA caliber player to rebuild?

Reading the forum, sometimes it sounds like only 8 teams or so are not in rebuild/start-all-over mode.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
based upon the thread title, i thought this would be about the celtics picking up another point guard.  ::)
Yeah. Same here. Poor choice of title.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 02:55:53 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Now I've heard it all. "Indiana should trade Paul George because they're just a good playoff team and he's already 26."