Author Topic: As a celtics fan how would you feel if this was our offseason?  (Read 2962 times)

As a celtics fan how would you feel if this was our offseason?
« on: February 26, 2016, 05:05:14 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I originally had this as a longer thought out post but lost it when my computer shut down. So instead this is my abbreviated thought...

If the Cs fail to land the #1 or #2 pick and Horford is really looking to leave ATL.

FA

Cs sign Horford and his college roommate Noah.
    In doing so they replace Sully with Horford and Amir with Noah. Hopefully the package deal is added incentive for Horford. As much as Noah was having a down year before the injury his rebounding and assist stats are crazy and both players are defensive upgrades or their predecessors. I expect Horford to command max money and Noah to be around 12-15mill.

Cs resign Turner if he can be had for a reasonable contract for a bench player (under 7mill per). If not let him walk and look so sign a Vet wing to fill the void (C Lee, G Henderson, Jared Dudley, alan anderson, Budinger, Rush)

Cs resign Zeller if he can be obtained for a reasonable 4th big man contract.

Cs retain Jerebko and let Amir go

Draft

Nets Pick, Dragon Bender: if needed use additional assets (Cs 2016, Mavs 2016, or ealrly 2nds) to move up and get him. Plan on leaving him overseas for at least 1 season.

Cs/Mavs picks: Package these and 2nds (and Young if needed) to move up in the first with the target being Timothe Luwawu. The more I learn about this kid I really like him. Great wing size/athleticism, plays tough defense and is developing his 3pt range. Seems like a better overall prospect then Hunter or Young.

If picks are left after trade target Nigel Hayes late first/ early 2nd

2016/2017 Roster (figure no turner, Sully, or Zeller)

PG IT, Smart, Rozier
SG AB, Hunter, Luwawu
SF Crowder, Dudley, Jerebko, Young
PF Horford, KO, Mickey
C   Noah

if no Zeller the team would likely add a center as the 15th man. Maybe Colton Iverson gets a shot or maybe a journey man vet like Blair.

Given the improvement at the starting 4/5 position and the hopeful further development of the Cs under 25 players I think this team is a solid #2 in the east behind Cleveland. The mix of young and old with a potential star overseas in Bender would solidify this roster for a long time.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: As a celtics fan how would you feel if this was our offseason?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't like the idea of giving Noah big money or a long term contract, so it'd depend on how that looks.  I also just don't really think you can depend on him to be more than a rebounder / defender / passer at this point.  He should be on a team where there's always at least one really dangerous scorer on the floor with him.  He'd be fantastic on the Cavs.

Otherwise, I think that'd be a fine off-season as long as the Horford deal isn't too long.  Would be disappointing that the draft would basically have no impact on the rotation next year, but that's nothing new.  Smart - Turner/Dudley - KO - Zeller/Jerebko is a perfectly fine bench, as we've seen this year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I don't like the idea of giving Noah big money or a long term contract, so it'd depend on how that looks.  I also just don't really think you can depend on him to be more than a rebounder / defender / passer at this point.  He should be on a team where there's always at least one really dangerous scorer on the floor with him.  He'd be fantastic on the Cavs.

Otherwise, I think that'd be a fine off-season as long as the Horford deal isn't too long.  Would be disappointing that the draft would basically have no impact on the rotation next year, but that's nothing new.  Smart - Turner/Dudley - KO - Zeller/Jerebko is a perfectly fine bench, as we've seen this year.

I don't love the idea of paying Noah but looking at what Asik and chandler got last season Noah will get paid. I really think he will still be very productive as a 25 - 30mpg guy. I absolutely think Noah would have a great effect on this team he is the closest thing to KG like intensity the Cs can get.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 08:15:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would be very angry if that was our offseason.  Don't quit your day job.

I love the sign Horford, resigning ET.   

I think your draft picks are dicey.

I really do not want to resign Zeller.   I do not want Noah.   These I really have to question.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:01:43 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I would be very angry if that was our offseason.  Don't quit your day job.

I love the sign Horford, resigning ET.   

I think your draft picks are dicey.

I really do not want to resign Zeller.   I do not want Noah.   These I really have to question.
All this plus I do not want Jerebko, and I don't think  Jared Dudley is enough of an upgrade in offense for my liking. No thanks.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I like Al Horford for $15 million, but he's going to want more.  I don't like signing Noah for anything more than like $6m a year for 3 years, but I don't think he'd ever agree to that.  I just think he's toast and even that might be an overpay a year out.

I really like Luwawu.  This is a pretty great article on him:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/european-dispatch--getting-to-know-timothe-luwawu-192202480.html

Basically, there is a team called Mega Leks that is essentially run by a scouting agency and only has players 22 and younger on them.  Nikola Jokic is a notable alum.  The team right now though is 16-7 against the regular league and Luwawu is their star.  He's a solid pick and I'd really be happy with him.

Bender is kind of meh, but he does have a very high ceiling.  I just don't think he's going to reach it and we won't have him for a year.  I'd be okay with him like 6th or 7th.

Turner is ok at $5 million, but he might get more.  He still does selfish nonsense all the time.

Jerekbo is okay as a 15th man if he wants very little money.

Amir can stay if we can afford him I suppose.  He's pretty good.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:21:02 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
The only thing I like about that is resigning Turner.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we sign Horford I will be happy with the offseason. I'd probably only want Noah on either small money or a big one year deal.

I love Dudley a lot but he's best as a small ball 4 not as a back up 3. I think we should only be adding big money guys who are difference makers, not bench players who will probably be expensive. I'd rather save the cap space for another top player, unless Dudley is on a one year deal.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 12:10:21 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Danny always scares me - he has put together a very good young core and I do not want to see it broken up. Let's wait on the Brooklyn draft pick - should be at least a top 5 pick. That's probably going to be a very strong player and will just add more young talent to this group (though I know there are Top 10 busts every year).

I shudder at some of the trades Danny considered this year at the deadline - one trade had us shipping Isiah Thomas and a couple of our other strong players for Dwight Howard (?). That guy is poison wherever he goes and is a shell of his former self.

Then I hear an ESPN story tonite about how Danny considered going after Carmelo - are you kidding me ?  What could he have been thinking. The guy is a great shooter, but that's it. He is soft and does not have a champions' mentality.

I am fine with going after free agents this summer, just be careful. Horford would help this team, but he turns 30 this year and could break down over the next few years. Those are dangerous possibilities for a guy we will be paying a ton of money. How does that salary sit with some of our best players - Bradley, Thomas, Crowder, Turner ? I love Evan Turner - he is the type of player who will help us win #18. Seems his name was mentioned as a possible trade. Danny is awful about publicly shopping his players and this group has such good chemistry, on & off the court.

Patience Danny !!!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 12:18:20 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
I shudder at some of the trades Danny considered this year at the deadline - one trade had us shipping Isiah Thomas and a couple of our other strong players for Dwight Howard (?). That guy is poison wherever he goes and is a shell of his former self.

How do you know if danny actually considered that?  Seems absurd to me.

Then I hear an ESPN story tonite about how Danny considered going after Carmelo - are you kidding me ?  What could he have been thinking. The guy is a great shooter, but that's it. He is soft and does not have a champions mentality.

Except for the fact that he led syracuse to an NCAA championship as a freshman.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

How do you know if danny actually considered that?  Seems absurd to me.

Then I hear an ESPN story tonite about how Danny considered going after Carmelo - are you kidding me ?  What could he have been thinking. The guy is a great shooter, but that's it. He is soft and does not have a champions mentality.

Except for the fact that he led syracuse to an NCAA championship as a freshman.

How do we know that Danny considered Dwight Howard ? It was discussed on the espn website. Where do you think they got their info ? Danny loves to brag about all the deals he is looking into and treats the current guys on the team like they are no more than a hand of poker. Not Good. That is what ran Ray Allen off.

As for Carmelo, he is widely criticized for being content to live in New York with all it has to offer, for making his big money with little concern for the team as a whole and if you have ever watched him play, it's not hard to figure out that he is as soft as they come. Just a great shooter who couldn't lead a **** into bed, much less an NBA team to a title.

You are right about one thing - those trade ideas are absurd.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 09:32:32 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Melo would be amazing on this team. He is the closer we need, especially next to Isaiah Thomas. I don't get why people dislike Melo, he is what he is; a scorer and a closer that takes high volume of shots. Wouldn't change the fact hes proably still a top 20 player in this league, and we're kind of missing those guys.

To the original topic at hand, OP poses an interesting question to me. Do we give Horford that large sum of money, and pray he exceeds the contract expectations, and possibly be the 1-2% extra ounce of luck we need in order to get Durant in the off season?

Durant, Horford, Isaiah, and whoever we keep like Crowder, Smart, and Bradley, would be definitely be the one team that could contest the Cavs, Spurs, and GSW.

I wouldn't resign Zeller, nor Sully. I would resign Turner, but Noah is a head scratcher for me. I would give him enough money he requested at a reasonable rate, but his health is such an enigma at times.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 09:53:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd like to re-sign Turner and would be okay with Zeller, Sully, JJ, and Amir moving on, but would take on any of them (except Zeller) for small money.

I am hoping we sign an impact FA. As has been mentioned, Horford would be nice, but I would also seriously consider Dwight. His presence down low would be awesome and his main complaint this year was that Harden and teammates weren't playing defense...that is not our issue.

If the pick is outside of the top 2, I am hoping we trade it in a package for another all-star level player. Bradley would likely be the one to go with that pick, as i really don't want to trade Crowder. This is also where the non-guaranteed contracts of JJ and Amir could come into play.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 10:03:58 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sign horford, yes, but not to play PF. I would take Noah but not on a big money long term deal which I'm sure he'll get somewhere.

Don't like draft selections.

Still think we will see Love in green this offseason.

Sully S+T, Bradley, Nets pick, Dallas pick, future first for Love.
Sign Horford.
Re Sign Turner.
MLE for Noah.

IT/Rozier
Smart/Hunter
Crowder/Turner
Love/KO
Horford/Noah

Work the cap to see if we can throw a Max at Durant.