Author Topic: Stein: Martin, Wolves negotiating buyout  (Read 5154 times)

Re: Stein: Martin, Wolves negotiating buyout
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 10:46:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'd love to add him.

People are talking about adding a defensive big man instead, but there are two problems with that:

1) There are no defensive big men available that I'm aware of that I would have any interest in

2) We have about 45,000,000 bigs on this roster already, and can't play the ones we have

3) We are skating on thin ice in terms of backcourt depth - if any one of our rotation guards (Smart, IT, Bradley or Smart) gets hurt OR if either of our wings get hurt (Crowder, Turner) then we are going to run into some big trouble in terms of depth. 

Likewise if we were to lose Bradley or Thomas we'd have zero outside shooting on the perimeter.

We really need an extra proven veteran wing / shooter and Martin could give us that, and there is no need to sign him past this season.  He's the type of player who could have a real impact in the playoffs, and I prefer him over Joe Johnson.

I think I'd prefer Dorell Wright to Martin. A truer SF, better shooter from deep, arguably a better defender.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
whose minutes would he take? the celtics rotation is playing very well together and can "mix and match" players depending upon situations or match ups.

martin would get how many minutes a night when lee couldn't even get the splinters out of his butt? are folks here saying the martin could help the team to more wins? how many games can we expect the 10th man on the team to win for the team?

i just dont see any reason to bring him on board given his limited talents right now.

Lee couldn't get minutes because we have too many bigs in the front court, and his skills were largely redundant since many of our other bigs could do the same things he could do. He was also coming off a season where he won a title sitting on the bench, so it's kinda expected you'd be frustrated if you get traded to a team worse than your current team AND still don't get minutes.

Martin is a career 39% 3PT shooter (37% this season) and a career 87% FT shooter (88% this year) who gets to the foul line at an elite rate (42.5% FTR). 

Martin would instantly be our best outside shooter and our best free throw shooter - something like what Ray was to us (and the Heat) late in his career. 

Come playoff time you find yourself in a LOT of very close games that come right down to the wire.  Having a bigger (6'7") guard guy who can shoot the three and hit free throws as well as Martin does could potentially be crucial in close playoff games because he would demand attention on the perimeter (no team would dream of leaving him open in the clutch) and you can't foul him because you are almost guaranteed he'll make both shots.  In the closing minutes of a tied game, when you have the ball, having a guy like that on the court can make you exponentially harder to defend.

You wouldn't even need to play him big minutes most likely, because he'd probably be happy just to be leaving the Wolves and getting a spot on a good playoff team.  I'd have him pretty much sitting on the bench through most of the regular season, and I'd just throw him in to certain situational lineups.

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 12:08:48 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i think martin would choose a true contender for the chance of a title
maybe cleveland or OKC as they need some veteran presence

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 08:14:16 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
An outside shooter like Kevin Martin would be a nice add for the playoffs.  Would he choose us though?  :)

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 08:52:12 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
The question always with these threads is whose minutes does he get?

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Jeez Spurs getting everyone:

Free agent guard Kevin Martin has agreed to join the San Antonio Spurs, according to league sources
-Stein
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about