Author Topic: Top 5 Pick Probabilities Chart  (Read 6342 times)

Top 5 Pick Probabilities Chart
« on: February 25, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just thought it'd be a good idea to pin this as a resource regarding the odds on our BKN pick.

Throw a TP foulweatherfan's way when you get a chance.  Thanks.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Top 5 Pick Probabilities Chart
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 03:28:52 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
TP. This deserves the pin.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I also TP'd foulweatherfan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Thanks guys but I literally just Googled and copy-pasted.  And I'm 99% sure this chart's been on CB before.  No need for attribution or CB Fun Pointz.

The big takeaway is that we have an 82.8% chance of a top 5 pick if Brooklyn stays put.  If they catch Minnesota it drops to 55.2%.  If they can fall below Phoenix again it'll be 96%.  Every other scenario isn't very likely.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 03:35:53 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Awesome. Thanks for this. Interesting that the 4th seed is so unlikely to get for 4th pick.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
so for now, a guaranteed top 7. Chances at landing 4th and 7th pick are low. 5th and 6th pick are likely.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Thanks guys but I literally just Googled and copy-pasted.  And I'm 99% sure this chart's been on CB before.  No need for attribution or CB Fun Pointz.

The big takeaway is that we have an 82.8% chance of a top 5 pick if Brooklyn stays put.  If they catch Minnesota it drops to 55.2%.  If they can fall below Phoenix again it'll be 96%.  Every other scenario isn't very likely.

Just bask in it, FWF.   ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Just bask in it, FWF.   ;)

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just thought it'd be a good idea to pin this as a resource regarding the odds on our BKN pick.

The table highlights why the Lakers have blatantly tanked this season.   If they fall from the 2nd slot to 3rd slot they go from having an above 50% chance of keeping their pick to having an above 50% chance of losing their pick. 

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Yup, hoping they fall below Phoenix.

And considering LA has 11 wins and BKN has 15, I don't think falling behind them is too crazy.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 04:53:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Now let's just cross our fingers that a couple more prospects aside from Simmons, Ingram, and Dunn emerge as clear-cut top 5 caliber choices in this draft over the next couple months.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 05:16:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Now let's just cross our fingers that a couple more prospects aside from Simmons, Ingram, and Dunn emerge as clear-cut top 5 caliber choices in this draft over the next couple months.
It's hard to say clear top five. Who are the closest to top 5 IYO? I say Brown and Lab based on potential are top 5 worthy. Hield is outstanding and should be considered. Bender may be as well but have not seen anything from him. So those are the guys I'm looking at right now as possible top 5 along with the three you mentioned.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The fourth spot having the worst chances of picking fourth only go to show how likely it is for a team not in the bottom three finishing teams to end up with a top three pick. For that reason, I am very happy with ending up in the 4th or 5th position.

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 06:19:13 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

The table highlights why the Lakers have blatantly tanked this season.   If they fall from the 2nd slot to 3rd slot they go from having an above 50% chance of keeping their pick to having an above 50% chance of losing their pick.

This might be part of the reason why the NBA was getting so angry with Hinkie behind the scenes. Not only did he tank in a remorseless manner but he also gave incentives to other teams to do the same.

Moreover, the table shows why fans so often get disappointed with the ping pong ball results. Many expect that finishing 3rd or 5th would at least guarantee them the 3rd or 5th pick but this is hardly the case.