Author Topic: sonsofsamorn  (Read 11461 times)

sonsofsamorn
« on: February 23, 2016, 06:32:47 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 373
What happened to this site?  It used to be so great and full of Red Sox info.  It seems to me, and I'm not a member, that they got so picky about the level of posting needing to be of a certain level of intellect, that nobody seems to post anything on that site anymore for fear of not living up to their standards.

Is there a better site, like Celticsblog, for the Red Sox, where everyday fans can just post news/opinions?

Re: sonsofsamorn
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 06:39:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What happened to this site?  It used to be so great and full of Red Sox info.  It seems to me, and I'm not a member, that they got so picky about the level of posting needing to be of a certain level of intellect, that nobody seems to post anything on that site anymore for fear of not living up to their standards.

Is there a better site, like Celticsblog, for the Red Sox, where everyday fans can just post news/opinions?

I don't know of one, although you could always jump into the comments section on Firebrand of the AL or Over The Monster, both quality SB Nation sites.

I get what you're saying about SOSH, though to be honest with you there have been times on these forums when I wish the culture were a little more like SOSH, with an expectation that posts will actually add to the discussion and demonstrate that there's some research / experience / thought put into them.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Oh come on, this site is so good!  Find an NBA forum that is better for any team, you can't do it.

Also, my advice is to stop watching baseball.  It's a huge waste of time

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 07:12:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I totally agree about that site.  I have browsed it for a long time and there used to be great baseball discussions.  Now it just resembles a bunch of old men yelling "get off my lawn".  By closing off membership, they had a high level of discussion, but they need new blood.

As for another Red Sox site not yet mentioned, try http://www.soxprospects.com

It's designed to focus on the Red Sox minor league system, but there's a lot of discussion on the big league team too. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:18:41 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 07:23:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Oh come on, this site is so good!  Find an NBA forum that is better for any team, you can't do it.

Also, my advice is to stop watching baseball.  It's a huge waste of time

It's true, it's very hard to find any good forums for basketball, let alone one on par with CB.   That doesn't mean CB's perfect.  Thankful we've got such a large, active, knowledgeable, engaged community here.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 07:59:32 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I do go to SOSH for Celtics and Patriots talk.  I agree with most of the points here, they could benefit from a little more traffic, not sure if that's due to their high standards or what.  They let me post there as a lurker so they can't be too picky.

I do tend to take the posts there more seriously than I do here, they're just better thought out and justified.  Here you often get "KO can't defend" type of posts with no rational or backing.  Plus the basic grammar and spelling is sometimes atrocious here.  It's "a moot point" not "a mute point".

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 08:34:56 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I do go to SOSH for Celtics and Patriots talk.  I agree with most of the points here, they could benefit from a little more traffic, not sure if that's due to their high standards or what.  They let me post there as a lurker so they can't be too picky.

I do tend to take the posts there more seriously than I do here, they're just better thought out and justified.  Here you often get "KO can't defend" type of posts with no rational or backing.  Plus the basic grammar and spelling is sometimes atrocious here.  It's "a moot point" not "a mute point".

Like rationale instead of rational.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 11:04:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There are a lot of really smart posters over there, but I agree, it's not my style.  It can come across a bit elitist.

I get what you're saying about SOSH, though to be honest with you there have been times on these forums when I wish the culture were a little more like SOSH, with an expectation that posts will actually add to the discussion and demonstrate that there's some research / experience / thought put into them.

I think that all of us feel like this from time to time, but it's important to blog management that everyone can give their thoughts, from casual to sophisticated fans.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:56 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Like rationale instead of rational.  ;)

TP

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 11:30:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
There are a lot of really smart posters over there, but I agree, it's not my style.  It can come across a bit elitist.

I think that all of us feel like this from time to time, but it's important to blog management that everyone can give their thoughts, from casual to sophisticated fans.

I totally understand, and I don't disagree.  I think it's better to err on the side of having an accessible and inclusive community rather than holding every single thread to a higher standard.

I forget who posted it, but I've seen somebody on here say (maybe in their signature) "Be the posts you want to see in the world," so I figure that when it feels like things around here could be better, the right thing to do is try to make good posts and encourage others to do the same.

edit:  It's FWF, of course.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:57:19 PM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 373
I don't necessarily mind the elitist attitude, as much of what I go to sports blogs for is information, rather than to share my opinion.  But, something seems to have happened to SOSH the past few months where there are very few new posts.  So, if the elitist attitude prevents new posts, I guess I do mind it.  I mean pitchers and catchers reported this week and NOTHING.  What gives? 

Agreed.  This site is phenomenal and a regular part of my day!  And, with having the C's on the upswing and other teams doing our tanking for us, I'm in hog heaven.  Go C's!

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:18:40 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
While I don't post in it, I sometimes read the Sox Prospects Forum Board: http://forum.soxprospects.com/

While it is largely geared towards the prospects, there is a fair amount of talk about the big league team too. 

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 12:02:54 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I don't know of one, although you could always jump into the comments section on Firebrand of the AL or Over The Monster, both quality SB Nation sites.

in my experience there, the quality of research that goes into so many SoSH posts is among the highest i have seen on the web. in particular, the statistical debates and detail about baseball in general are stunning in terms of the work that goes into them.

SoSH has a lot of problems, i know, i am a member. but quality of research and willingness to explore a topic indepth are most certainly not among them.

shallow, facile, unresearched posters are generally hounded until they flee. i dislike that practice, but i admit, it does create a general level of posting that exceeds that of cb.

now, civility? cb wins hands down. generally tolerance? cb again.

but over all quality of research? SoSH wins the majority of times. cb has moments of very good posting. SoSH as many more of these posts.

one case in point would be the thread title here. cripes folks, if you are going to ding SoSH, at least spell their name correctly.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:12:23 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 12:07:13 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
I don't necessarily mind the elitist attitude, as much of what I go to sports blogs for is information, rather than to share my opinion.  But, something seems to have happened to SOSH the past few months where there are very few new posts.  So, if the elitist attitude prevents new posts, I guess I do mind it.  I mean pitchers and catchers reported this week and NOTHING.  What gives? 

Agreed.  This site is phenomenal and a regular part of my day!  And, with having the C's on the upswing and other teams doing our tanking for us, I'm in hog heaven.  Go C's!
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/truck-day-fort-myers.12926/#post-1585930

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/which-type-of-plate-discipline-is-eating-panda.12128/page-5#post-1593347

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/who-plays-1b-next-year.10635/page-11
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 12:38:09 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
While I don't post in it, I sometimes read the Sox Prospects Forum Board: http://forum.soxprospects.com/

While it is largely geared towards the prospects, there is a fair amount of talk about the big league team too.
tp...which is another advantage to cb.  ;D soxprospects is addicting good in their analyses of baby sox. the forums are also both civil and well researched.
- Vandana Shiva