Author Topic: All 3 Nets picks for Anthony Davis  (Read 4946 times)

Re: All 3 Nets picks for Anthony Davis
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 08:19:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pelicans management replies

Puhahahaha

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I guess I will be the first to disagree. I know Davis is a stud but three high first round picks might be a bit too much. It all depends on where those picks land but I just dont see the Nets getting much better and could very easily get worse in the next couple of years.

There are always players available from picks 5-15 who are turn out to be great players too. If we can just hit on one of those and have the other two be very solid players with great upside then I think you hold onto the picks. This team already has great depth and a fantastic attitude but if you trade all of the picks and quality players for one guy you end up with only that player and little else. He can't win by himself where he is and he wouldnt here either. Two of the Nets picks and a player or two is all I would do. And, of course if the Nets won't trade for all three picks they won't trade for two and players either.

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 09:01:01 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I guess I will be the first to disagree. I know Davis is a stud but three high first round picks might be a bit too much. It all depends on where those picks land but I just dont see the Nets getting much better and could very easily get worse in the next couple of years.

There are always players available from picks 5-15 who are turn out to be great players too. If we can just hit on one of those and have the other two be very solid players with great upside then I think you hold onto the picks. This team already has great depth and a fantastic attitude but if you trade all of the picks and quality players for one guy you end up with only that player and little else. He can't win by himself where he is and he wouldnt here either. Two of the Nets picks and a player or two is all I would do. And, of course if the Nets won't trade for all three picks they won't trade for two and players either.
3 picks might not be enough. AD is a guaranteed All-NBA first team caliber player. There is no such guarantee on those Nets pick, even if one is #1.

AD is currently superior to Wall, Irving, Bennett, and Wiggins. KAT is too early to tell. Griffin is a wash at this point, though AD impresses me more. Rose pre-injury was MVP, so AD will need more accomplishments to surpase Rose. AD is clearly superior to Oden, Bargnani, and Bogut. Those are all the #1s since Lebron and Howard.

Sure, Durant was #2 the Oden year -- but so what? That just illustrates that even if you have the top pick, you might not end up with the top player. And there is no guarantee that the 2 Nets picks and our pick (swapped with the Nets) end up top 3 or better.

You don't evaluate trades based on worrying about the worst case scenario. You need to consider the expected outcome. With the Nets having no reason to tank, they could easily add 10 games to their win total next season by picking up some guys with the cap increase. It is far more likely that the Nets get a few games better next season than a few games worse with no motivation to lose more games when they don't own their pick.

If we get the #1 in the lottery, than AD for that #1 and one or two more Nets picks might be reasonable. If we don't get #1 or #2, than those 3 Nets picks aren't worth anywhere close to AD. Considering the low % chance of us landing 1 or 2 when the Nets have only the 4th worst record in the league, you are overvaluing those picks in a way that no GM would. Every GM would trade those 3 assets for AD because AD has as much value as any player who isn't Curry.

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 09:07:30 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
If Boston landed the #1 pick I wouldn't be surprised if DA didn't try to pull a deal like that off.

Davis could be frustrated with the teams performance, and they are in a worse FA spot than Boston as of right now.

You give Simmons and the Dallas pick along with Nets '17,'18, Rozier, Sully, Young and even AB, thats a good restart for NO. They wouldn't get a better restart package than that, maybe a better player, but not restart.
AD is a better restart. Why are people talking like NO has any interest in moving him? And how do Young and Rozier have any trade value? They are filler.

They could get way better packages than that. They could get Okafor and 2 Philly firsts. Okafor has more value than any of the Celtics players you mention and the Philly picks are way better than the Nets picks. That is way better than what you are suggesting. Did you even consider what other teams would offer?

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Would you still trade all three picks if you could land players like Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman and Paul Pierce? Those players were all drafted later in the first and even second rounds. While I know that Davis is a sure thing, with three top picks you might do better. It's hard to get a big man I realize, especially one with Davis ability but we may actually do better with the picks. I realize it's not likely but if we did the trade would we still be able to put together a contending team?

I doubt there are any Rondos around with the 20th pick or so. It's a tough choice and since NO won't trade him anyway its probably a mute point anyway. I still say keep the Nets picks, try to sign a free agent, and build through the draft.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 11:49:26 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Would you still trade all three picks if you could land players like Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman and Paul Pierce? Those players were all drafted later in the first and even second rounds. While I know that Davis is a sure thing, with three top picks you might do better. It's hard to get a big man I realize, especially one with Davis ability but we may actually do better with the picks. I realize it's not likely but if we did the trade would we still be able to put together a contending team?

I doubt there are any Rondos around with the 20th pick or so. It's a tough choice and since NO won't trade him anyway its probably a mute point anyway. I still say keep the Nets picks, try to sign a free agent, and build through the draft.
No, I would not trade anything for Barkley because he is retired.

You seem to have a problem of confusing how we should value known talents versus draft picks. We could also end up with 3 Bargnanis with those picks. With your logic, we shouldn't trade 3 #1s for Barkley because we could get 3 Barkleys with the those picks.

The fact that Barkley in his prime is worth 3 #1s means that we should do the trade for AD because he looks like he can be that kind of talent.

It also doesn't make much sense to say there are no Rondo's in the 20s because no one knew that Rondo would pan out like that before the draft. Stop acting like we know the caliber of player we would or would not draft with those picks!

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 11:52:37 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Pelicans management replies

Puhahahaha
Muhahaha

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 11:52:41 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
In a vacuum, nah, N.O. says NO.  But they've gotta be freaking out a little there about another Chris Paul situation developing.  Still, they'd be a lot more likely to think about it if they had a clear second guy with "build around potential".  That's why we'd have to give them Kelly too ;D

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 11:54:24 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
In a vacuum, nah, N.O. says NO.  But they've gotta be freaking out a little there about another Chris Paul situation developing.  Still, they'd be a lot more likely to think about it if they had a clear second guy with "build around potential".
Has AD expressed any displeasure with the team? He doesn't seem  to have the same abrasive style as Paul.

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
NOLA laughs you off the phone. You don't trade a proven star locked up long term at age 22. For anything.
+1

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Pelicans decline quickly. 76ers would also beat that deal so it's not possible in winning a bidding war either.

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
In a vacuum, nah, N.O. says NO.  But they've gotta be freaking out a little there about another Chris Paul situation developing.  Still, they'd be a lot more likely to think about it if they had a clear second guy with "build around potential".
Has AD expressed any displeasure with the team? He doesn't seem  to have the same abrasive style as Paul.

Not publicly that I can remember, but I don't remember Paul saying much publicly about it either.  The regression this year has to be concerning, though.

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Davis says he wants out, then Boston does make some sense and I think something like this might make sense for New Orleans.

Draft Day Trade

Davis, Evans, Asik (I mean they have to get rid of him in the trade)

for

Johnson, Jerebko, Bradley, Smart, Mickey, Hunter, 3 BKN & Dallas

That seems like a pretty fair trade for both teams (if Davis asks out). 

That leaves Boston

PG - Thomas, Rozier
SG - Evans, Turner (re-signed)
SF - Crowder, Young
PF - Sullinger (re-signed), Olynyk
C - Davis, Asik, Zeller (re-signed)

Plus still have Boston 1st and all the 2nd rounders from this summer to replenish the depth.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 03:28:32 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Anthony Davis has one of the highest trade values any player could ever have. 22 year old big man MVP candidate, healthy, plays both ends of the court, no off court issues, on a long term deal with the cap about to go way up, just put up 59 and 20 in a game.

We're talking about a few future 1sts?

You can't even begin to think about that until you win the lottery and one of those picks is #1 overall. Then you better hope Simmons is getting LeBron / AD / Towns / Durant etc type hype at that time. Then, mayyyybbe you could do something like Simmons + Smart + Crowder + multiple 1sts. Maybe. But in reality, AD is the type of player that is impossible to trade. He would probably be the most valuable player ever traded if it happened.

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Ainge would give a godfather offer for Davis IMO.