Who would be more Effective In Green

Okafor
31 (42.5%)
Noel
38 (52.1%)
I can't decide it's too hard
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Poll: Who would make the Celtics better Noel or Okafor  (Read 10433 times)

Re: Poll: Who would make the Celtics better Noel or Okafor
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Tough decision, but I went with Noel.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 04:19:04 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Okafor is a budding elite NBA player.

His combination of agility, quickness, strength, and skillfulness on the offensive end is reminiscent of, Celticsblog favorite, DeMarcus Cousins; except, he's in the first year of his rookie contract and can be reasonably expected to acquire strength, skills, and the wrinkles to better utilize them in-game.

The answer isn't obvious today because of Okafor being a rookie and the CB lust for a defensive+rebounding Center, but this thread will be looked back on as an "Ibaka or Cousins?"-type thread even if Noel improves.

If the cost to acquire Okafor or Noel were equal, Jahlil is the player to acquire, easily.

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 04:20:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Noel , With exact present roster, just slide him in Amir's role....is great fit.

Oakfor would change the deal.

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 04:20:25 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

His combination of agility, quickness, strength, and skillfulness on the offensive end is reminiscent of, Celticsblog favorite, DeMarcus Cousins; except, he's in the first year of his rookie contract and can be reasonably expected to acquire strength, skills, and the wrinkles to better utilize them in-game.

The answer isn't obvious today because of Okafor being a rookie and the CB lust for a defensive+rebounding Center, but this thread will be looked back on as an "Ibaka or Cousins?"-type thread even if Noel improves.

If the cost to acquire Okafor or Noel were equal, Jahlil is the player to acquire, easily.

Since when is Okafor quick or agile? Dude moves in slow motion.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 04:23:39 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
This is a tough question.  At first I thought it was a no-brainer Okafor because I could see him turning into an all star with his talent. 

But I flip flopped and said Noel, because I love his slow but sure improvement, and I think his defense and shot-blocking fits in with our team better.  Noel is also improving as an off player.  Tough call though.

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 04:29:28 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

#1P4P specifically says on the "offensive end" which I'd agree with. IDK if I'd say Cousins, but if you watch him play he's definitely both quick and agile on the offensive end. His foot work is unreal, he takes people off the dribble, and I've seen him make some pretty layups at weird angles. Plus his ball handling is very much above average.

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 04:31:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Guys like Okafor don't come around often. Guys like Noel are more frequently available. Okafor.

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 04:38:55 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

#1P4P specifically says on the "offensive end" which I'd agree with. IDK if I'd say Cousins, but if you watch him play he's definitely both quick and agile on the offensive end. His foot work is unreal, he takes people off the dribble, and I've seen him make some pretty layups at weird angles. Plus his ball handling is very much above average.

Ehh, I think Cousins uses his brutish strength and athleticism to score in the post, while Okafor uses footwork and polished moves. Okafor has tremendous offensive tools (you're probably underrating his ball handling even), but I don't really think of him as quick or agile.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 04:48:14 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

Ehh, I think Cousins uses his brutish strength and athleticism to score in the post, while Okafor uses footwork and polished moves. Okafor has tremendous offensive tools (you're probably underrating his ball handling even), but I don't really think of him as quick or agile.

I mean the inverse would be to say he is slow and stiff which I don't find to be the truth. You might be able to make a case for him not being quick but he's also not slow. I think he's above average in offensive speed. As far as agile the guy contorts his body and shoots from the most ridiculous angles. What's your definition of agile?

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I mean the inverse would be to say he is slow and stiff which I don't find to be the truth. You might be able to make a case for him not being quick but he's also not slow. I think he's above average in offensive speed. As far as agile the guy contorts his body and shoots from the most ridiculous angles. What's your definition of agile?

He's definitely more agile than quick, but I think of him as being a resourceful and experienced (qualities which are so rare to see in a player of his age and make him such an intriguing offensive prospect) player more so than an athletically gifted one. I think he might actually benefit from losing some weight too, as much like Boogie, he often seems winded and ready to check out. I just want to clarify, though, I do not hate Jahlil Okafor. I am cautiously optimistic about his future and think the Celtics could probably do a pretty good job of unlocking his full potential.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 05:07:07 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

He's definitely more agile than quick, but I think of him as being a resourceful and experienced (qualities which are so rare to see in a player of his age and make him such an intriguing offensive prospect) player more so than an athletically gifted one. I think he might actually benefit from losing some weight too, as much like Boogie, he often seems winded and ready to check out. I just want to clarify, though, I do not hate Jahlil Okafor. I am cautiously optimistic about his future and think the Celtics could probably do a pretty good job of unlocking his full potential.

I definitely don't see him as athletically gifted. All of these terms are so subjective depending on context. I think maybe nimble might work best haha.

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2016, 05:07:53 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I definitely don't see him as athletically gifted. All of these terms are so subjective depending on context. I think maybe nimble might work best haha.

Yes! Nimble definitely works.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

I said it in another thread though, part of me just wants a Stevens/Okafor combo a la Pop and Timmy for the next 15 years. I think the C's would set him up to succeed rather than watch him flounder and put up good stats on a bad team like his current situation. If we get the 4th or 5th pick this year, I'd trade it and the Dallas pick plus Jerbko and Young or Rozier for Okafor and either Holmes or Grant in a heart beat.

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 05:19:01 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I said it in another thread though, part of me just wants a Stevens/Okafor combo a la Pop and Timmy for the next 15 years. I think the C's would set him up to succeed rather than watch him flounder and put up good stats on a bad team like his current situation. If we get the 4th or 5th pick this year, I'd trade it and the Dallas pick plus Jerbko and Young or Rozier for Okafor and either Holmes or Grant in a heart beat.

We're in a weird spot with Okafor now. I wouldn't trade the 1st or 2nd Pick for him, but what would we have to add to the 3rd through 6th to get him?

DKC Clippers

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2016, 05:21:31 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Would be cool to package the NETS pick and a young player for Okafor or Noel, then turn around and package another young player plus the Celtics and Mavs pick (or maybe a 2018 pick) and try to get Parker or Winslow.

Try to get a couple of players that have been in the league for a year or two instead of waiting on rookies too grow up.  If they were able to get 2 players like that and keep Smart/IT/Crowder/AB together - I think that would be pretty nice.