Who would be more Effective In Green

Okafor
31 (42.5%)
Noel
38 (52.1%)
I can't decide it's too hard
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Poll: Who would make the Celtics better Noel or Okafor  (Read 10427 times)

Re: Poll: Who would make the Celtics better Noel or Okafor
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 08:43:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Huge believer that defense and rebounding wins championships.

For that reason: Noel.

I won't deny that Okafor has offensive skills. He does. But. I value my big men being able to rebound and play defense and with bigs playing the perimeter, I want a big that can guard all the way to the perimeter and there isn't a better big at doing that in the league than Noel in my opinion. If Nerlens can get the Celtics 12/10 with 2 blocks and 2 steals a game and shut down the opposing teams bigs, then I am a happy guy. Have my offense come for the other four positions and I am happy with 12 PPG from Nerlens. I do believe though with the proper PG that Noel has 15 PPG potential.

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 09:13:35 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
This isn't even about personal preferences. There's an objective answer. You can get points from your guards and forwards. You cannot get interior defense from them. Noel is a premier defender. Okafor is an abysmal defender. Okafor would ruin your defense. Noel and his limited but very efficient scoring and his great passing would not ruin your offense. This poll is basically a proxy for "Do you understand how teams win in the NBA?" and everybody voting Okafor is answering "Nope!"
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
This isn't even about personal preferences. There's an objective answer. You can get points from your guards and forwards. You cannot get interior defense from them. Noel is a premier defender. Okafor is an abysmal defender. Okafor would ruin your defense. Noel and his limited but very efficient scoring and his great passing would not ruin your offense. This poll is basically a proxy for "Do you understand how teams win in the NBA?" and everybody voting Okafor is answering "Nope!"

I voted for Okafor just out of spite for your arrogance.

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 09:20:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

#hotsportztake

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 09:21:44 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Okafor. 

I have more belief that he could develop defensive skills since he is still in his first year vs. Noel developing his offensive skills in his third year. 

But it is just so hard at this point to really grade either.   They both are on a team lacking talent.   The best two players can not play with each other because they play the same position. 

How do you develop properly in such a situation? 

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Right because we didn't vote for the guy that has been in the league longer has yet to make a real impact. 

The way to win in the NBA is to have the best talent.  Not the best defensive talent or the best offensive talent. 

Have the best talent. 

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Going with Okafor. For all this talk about defense, people forget that scoring is a premium skill as well. Surrounded by a better team, I'm fairly certain Okafor would have a bigger impact. He'd probably improve defensively as well. I'm not sure that's gonna happen on the Sixers though.
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 10:00:28 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Both. Both contribute in one way or another. Stevens would find a way to get them helping in the W column

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 10:04:40 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Going with Okafor. For all this talk about defense, people forget that scoring is a premium skill as well. Surrounded by a better team, I'm fairly certain Okafor would have a bigger impact. He'd probably improve defensively as well. I'm not sure that's gonna happen on the Sixers though.

At only 20, you would think everything would get better. Which is scary considering his offensive game.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 02:24:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Teid up in the poll, let's see some more votes.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Whoever plays more defense has my vote.  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 02:41:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Today?  Noel.

In three years?  My money's on Okafor.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
When Okafor is on offense the game slows down so much for him, it's insane to watch. His scoring versatility is going to increase. His defense will get better when he's expected to play at a higher level. If you wanna say boo to that then I present you with example number 1: Evan Turner. Known for playing no defense when he was at Philly. Now in Boston, he looks like an above average defender. Take a guy like Okafor, who mind you still averages 1.7 blocks a game, and stick him in Boston and you will see what he can really do. I think it's easy to regurgitate other people's opinions/labels on players without ever watching them play. He's not 1 dimensional, he's not a bust, he's not a defensive sieve. He's a 20 year old kid with killer offensive instincts and room to grow.

If we traded for him this summer it would solve our "go-to scorer" problem while allowing Ainge to consolidate assets, stay young, and keep cap space open for more impact players. That would be huge.

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 02:45:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You can get points from your guards and forwards. You cannot get interior defense from them.

The Celts have done pretty well defensively by getting most of their defense from guards and forwards.

I understand your argument, but I think it's overly simplistic.

My philosophy is, let's get 2-3 guys who are really difficult to guard due to talent, size-for-position, and overall skill / versatility.  Make sure those guys can play together, and ideally complement one another.  Otherwise, I'm not worried about which positions those 2-3 guys play, or what their exact skill-sets are. 

Once you've got those guys, your "core," surround them with the right mix of role players who can form a defensive apparatus while maintaining spacing on the offense end.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Noel all day.  I think our offense is fine, we're moving the ball like Brad wants.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Noel would cause less waves than Okafor, who could either bolster our offense or break up our chemistry.

Noel gives us all the same offense/passing/rebounding of Sully, but gives us much better defense.  Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Johnson/Jerebko/Isaiah, and Noel are 3 scary lineups.

I'll take the safe pick.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale