Author Topic: Cable  (Read 2208 times)

Cable
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:54:10 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Just wanted to post my frustration.
After a few years as a cord cutter I was recently lured back to cable with an incredible offer.
Basically the offer was standard cable plus 20mps internet for $10 more per month than I was paying for Internet only. The price was locked for 12 month.
I jumped at the offer and enjoyed a few months of lag free hd games on the tv and streaming on the tablet.
Then, after 3 months  the bill doubled.
I called and asked why the bill changed? I talked to three representatives they all said some variation of "we couldn't possibly offer that deal. I referenced the bills for the previous months as proof, they brushed it off saying I was some how mistaken. I tried to find the deal on line to confirm the offer actually existed (but it was gone, naturally).

Really foul bait and switch. I hate twc now and want to rid them from my life but they are the only high speed internet provider where I live and only cable provider.

Re: Cable
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:00:03 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
worthy of a call to the better business bureau.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Honestly twc is the worst company I have ever experienced. We had them in college, and paid for 50 Mbs for a 10 person house. With everyone signed out of everything (wifi on phones, laptops, and consoles) the max we ever hit was 19 mbs. A twc rep even came out and couldn't hit 25 mbs, yet they stalled for 9 months before we finally just walked away. Worst customer based experience of my life.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 09:12:33 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I pay so much for direct tv then even more for charter internet. Never a bad experience though. I just pay a lot.

Att internet, before the merger, would just randomly add stuff to my bill. I always had to look at the paper copy. I finally dropped them.

My neighborhood is now getting fiber optic through Att. I'm tempted but very leary. Is fiber optic a major upgrade over cable modem? Or should I just stay put and happy?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 09:29:26 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I cut the cord but can't get celtics games from League Pass because I live in NH. They say they will do something eventually with apple tv or something but for right now I am lucky enough to watch at my brothers house.....I gave him his tv and paid the extra money to get better cable, just so I can watch the celts.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:44:26 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I pay so much for direct tv then even more for charter internet. Never a bad experience though. I just pay a lot.

Att internet, before the merger, would just randomly add stuff to my bill. I always had to look at the paper copy. I finally dropped them.

My neighborhood is now getting fiber optic through Att. I'm tempted but very leary. Is fiber optic a major upgrade over cable modem? Or should I just stay put and happy?
Charter in my area went 60Mbs as a minimum speed. Upload speed is pretty good also.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I have had a great 3-year run with Comcast. I previously only had cable in my old place. They had a promo where I could pay $5 more and get a really low cable tier (no CSN, no ESPN), but it included HBO, AMC, and some other stations of interest. That was a no brainer. It does not include HD or an HD box, but I usually stream video anyway, which is HD.

When we bought a condo (which lined up perfectly with the 1 year promo ending, I told them I would drop the cable at the new place and just keep the internet since the promo was over. The extended the promo an additional year. The, last year I told them I was going to drop when the promo expired and it just so happened they had the promo again.

That was 3 years with HBO, AMC, and a bunch of other channels for $5 a month.

I need to call them this week to figure out what I will do now that the promo is expiring. Fortunately, there are now alternatives to cable for HBO. We watch GoT and The Leftovers, so we definitely don't want to lose HBO. I have to money to pay for a larger cable package, but I don't see the point when there are so many TV shows to binge watch on Amazon/Netflix. I just finished up Deadwood (which I could have watched on Amazon instead of on HBOGo) and I am now catching season 3 of the Americans on Amazon. I watch the Celtics on League Pass (with VPN), which means I don't get to see their NBATV games and their ESPN games, which is lame.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 10:18:22 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2931

I've had Verizon FIOS the last several years, and I must say I have absolutely no complaints about the internet whatsoever. I never get randomly dropped off the internet like I would before, and it's pretty reliably fast.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 10:46:41 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
While we are on the topic, anyone excited for deadpool 2?

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 10:49:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
While we are on the topic, anyone excited for deadpool 2?

I was really excited that it was going to be about Cable, instead of about cable.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 12:41:31 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Haha.

Edit:  Laughing at IP and Denis, not the OP's misfortune.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale