Poll: Bradley+Nets 2016 pick for Okafor

Yes
21 (23.6%)
No
42 (47.2%)
If the pick is three or lower Yes.
26 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Yes or No Bradley + Nets pick for Okafor  (Read 10968 times)

Re: Yes or No Bradley + Nets pick for Okafor
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Here is Okafor Vs the Raptos 26 points 7 boards 4 blocks check out the move at 1:05 when he goes up with one hand on the ball it's like hes shooting a grapefruit. He controls the ball so well with one hand.

https://youtu.be/lhCHn8BFrzE

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

here is summer league highlights

https://youtu.be/LbkZqXD_kos

Kyle Anderson was the MVP of Summer League and the runner-up was Seth Curry.

So Max are you a non Believer in Okafor? You don't think he'd help the Celtics that much? I'll post NBA videos, he's doing just fine against the best in the World.

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2016, 09:09:31 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think the concern some have is that Okafor will destroy the league the same way Al Jefferson did -- which means impressive moves, impressive stats, but not necessarily what a top team needs.

Personally, if Stevens signs off on a player, I am pretty confident he can make the system work with that player. We can see in LA that Doc isn't too good at getting guys to fit in with what he wants. I feel like all our non-draft pickups with Stevens have worked out well. I don't count D. Lee as he was a special case and it isn't clear that we ever planned to really integrate him.

Personally, I don't have much of an opinion on moves like this apart from not caring for Okafor as a person.

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2016, 09:12:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Zeller and Sully couldn't stop him. How about at 1:55 seconds he crossover dribbles against Evan Turner at halfcourt and then gets fouled at the rim,

26 pts in his first game as a Pro, not bad.

https://youtu.be/v5HAT4rEmxY

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2016, 09:12:44 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

here is summer league highlights

https://youtu.be/LbkZqXD_kos

Kyle Anderson was the MVP of Summer League and the runner-up was Seth Curry.

So Max are you a non Believer in Okafor? You don't think he'd help the Celtics that much? I'll post NBA videos, he's doing just fine against the best in the World.

I think he possesses the tools to become an outstanding offensive player. I'm dubious as to whether or not he fits in the modern NBA, and I think it's essential that he goes from being a disgraceful defensive player to at least average for him to realize his full potential. As for trading the Nets Pick for him...I probably would have been OK with it, but not thrilled. I'd much rather have Ingram or Simmons than Okafor, but I'd probably take him over Bender.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2016, 09:16:58 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Thank you Max, that's all I'm getting at. #3 for Okafor is an absolute no brainer for me anyway.

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2016, 09:18:37 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Thank you Max, that's all I'm getting at. #3 for Okafor is an absolute no brainer for me anyway.

I agree, but there is a 0% chance that we get Okafor for #3 (by itself), and we're not trading #1 or #2 for Okafor.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2016, 09:19:29 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
The middle of this thread drifted into who is better Gobert or Okafor.  I don't think that matters.  Either you like Okafor for the BKN pick or you don't.  I think it is a pretty fair trade and I would be happy to have Okafor.  If Philly doesn't want to trade him for this pick, fine, move on.  If Danny explored this, great, I am happy.  If Philly tried to get him to over pay, I am glad Danny didn't overpay.

I don't see how Philly could do better than this pick for Okafor.  If they want to make a go of it with Okafor, Noel, and Embiid, have at it.  I think one of these 3 has to go though and this BKN pick is good value for them for one of these 3.  Who knows for sure if this was even discussed but if it was, I am sure it can and will be revisited.  Philly is smart to wait so they have a better read on Embiid's health.

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2016, 09:27:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
The middle of this thread drifted into who is better Gobert or Okafor.  I don't think that matters.  Either you like Okafor for the BKN pick or you don't.  I think it is a pretty fair trade and I would be happy to have Okafor.  If Philly doesn't want to trade him for this pick, fine, move on.  If Danny explored this, great, I am happy.  If Philly tried to get him to over pay, I am glad Danny didn't overpay.

I don't see how Philly could do better than this pick for Okafor.  If they want to make a go of it with Okafor, Noel, and Embiid, have at it.  I think one of these 3 has to go though and this BKN pick is good value for them for one of these 3.  Who knows for sure if this was even discussed but if it was, I am sure it can and will be revisited.  Philly is smart to wait so they have a better read on Embiid's health.

TP Vermont for getting this train back on track. Check out this at one minute in, it shows him giant hands and then the headfake is great that gets the Blow by Dunk VS Noah, then very next move is a floater from the free throw line, he shows range on the jumpshot later in this clip.

https://youtu.be/NjkNj5Lg4jk

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2016, 09:29:07 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think I would just get Okafor for the sake of having a better asset. But that would mean straight up for the pick, no Bradley, maybe add a late first.

But as a player, I don't think Okafor helps you win

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2016, 09:59:17 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I think I would just get Okafor for the sake of having a better asset. But that would mean straight up for the pick, no Bradley, maybe add a late first.

yea , I agree with this , as long  as it's not in the top 3

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2016, 10:07:09 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Are you sure about that Rod Man? He's on Philly bro, If he came to the Celtics he's help us win Games. Please believe!

We are a team full of scrapping Defensive bulldog's.
 You have to remember that Crowder and Smart would be yelling at him constantly and holding him accountable.

What have people been saying forever we need another scorer and we need a star. Guess what, He's actually both those things.

We are a perfect fit for him the way I see it, he needs structure, check, and defenders around him check.

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2016, 10:09:21 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Crimson you make some good points, and I'm aware of his short comings, are you forgetting he's a rookie and 20 years old?

No, I'm not. 

I did say in one of my prior posts that I do acknowledge the fact that he's only 20, but that I believe he has too many holes in his game (even as a 20 YO) to be able to overcome.   

This is why I pointed out the fact that Al Jefferson's Per-36 stats were much better as a Rookie than Okafor's are this year. 

Jefferson, even as a 20 year old rookie, was basically a 20/10 guy on a Per-36 minute basis, and was getting to the line at a high rate (35% FTR) and blocking close to 2 shots a game Per 36.

As his career went on and his minutes went up, those Per-36 minute numbers from his rookie year pretty much translated to his real world numbers.

Even as a 20 year old rookie Jefferson was never a great defender, was never a standout passer, and didn't have an elite jumpshot. 

As his career progressed he got better and better at the things he was already good at (rebounding, post scoring, etc) and did develop a respectable jumper, but he never improved at the things that he couldn't do well to begin with (defense, passing, three point range, etc)

Given how similar the two players are at the age of 20, I can't forsee why Okafor would have any more potential now than Jefferson did when he was 20.  This is why I don't foresee Okafor magically becoming a great rebounder, good defender, or good passer, or developing any semblance of an outside shot.

Do you honestly believe he won't be a 20 and 10 guy buy 24 years old?

Yes, I do honestly believe that.

As I said, rebounding is one of those skills that tends to translate immediately to the NBA, for example:

- Nerlens Noel averaged 9.5 REB/36 in his rookie year
- Jared Sullinger averaged 10.7 REB/36 as a rookie
- David Lee averaged 9.7 REB/36 as a rookie
- Demarcus Cousins averaged 10.9 REB/36 as a rookie
- Julius Randle is averaging 13.2 REB/36 in what is essentially his rookie year
- Noah Vonleh averaged 12 REB/36 in his rookie year

You'll find that it's a similar deal with passing big men too.  Most guys who are good passing big men now, had nice assist numbers from the moment they entered the league as rookies.  It's pretty much an instinctive thing, so it's pretty rare for somebody to come into the league as a terrible passer, and then become a great one later.

Guys who have the potential to be good rebounders, tend to be good rebounders from the moment they enter the league.  Very rare for a guy to put up mediocre-to-poor rebounding numbers in his first year, and then go on to become a great rebounder.

I think 20 / 8.5 is probably about where Okafor will peak, and I'm not confident he'll ever average close to 2 blocks a game.

Philly is not a good example for any player on their roster advanced stats cam be skewed some.

I disagree.

Advanced stats for Noel and Okafor (number in brackets is positional rank):

Nerlens Noel
Offensive RPM: -3.66  (91/92)
Defensive RPM: +3.99 (3/92)
RPM: +0.33 (28/92)
Offensive RTG: 99
Defensive RTG: 102
Net RTG: -3

Jahlil Okafor
Offensive RPM: -3.46 (71/74)
Defensive RPM: -1.68 (73/74)
RPM: -5.14 (74/74)
Offensive RTG: 98
Defensive RTG: 108
Net RTG: -10

Noel's stats show that he's a really poor offensive player and an elite defensive player, which sounds about right.  Pretty obvious that playing on the Sixers isn't bringing down his defensive stats, and I think we all know he is limited enough offensively to justify the offensive stats.

Okafor's numbers show that he is almost as bad as Enes Kanter on defense, and worse than Omer Asik on offense.  That's really, really bad...and I'm not convinced you can blame this on the fact that he's playing for the Sixers either.

Did you see him at Duke, the kid can pass, he has tremendous feel for the game I really love his game era be dammed.

That may be true, but Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger were both extremely good post player in college, and Jeff Green was known for his impressive playmaking in college too. 

Neither of those three really worked out at the NBA level. 

Jeff Green's rookie year demonstrated how much of a playmaker he was going to be in the NBA (i.e. not at all).  Olynyk's rookie year pretty much demonstrated how much of a post game he was going to have in the NBA (not much). 

Sully had a good post game his rookie year, then dropped off badly after that.

Okafor has a great post game as a rookie, so he's likely going to have a tremendous post game his entire career.  But he's a poor rebounder and passer as a rookie, so he's probably always going to be a poor rebounder and passer.

Let me ask you this though Crimson. Hypothetically if we did acquire him who would be the perfect Power Forward to pair him with.

My answer would be Draymond Green, to think we took Fab Melo over him, Wow..

I think there are very few players in the NBA who would work somewhat adequately next to Okafor, which makes me all the more concerned about his game and how it translates to his team's future success.

You could argue that Green would fit well next to Okafor - not sure you can blame Danny for taking a flyer or Fab over him though.  Melo looked like a terrible offensive player who had the potential to be a huge impact defensive player, so Danny took the gamble to see if it'd work out - which it (obviously) didn't. 

Other teams didn't take the gamble on Green (hence why he fell so late) so it's obvious that a lot of teams (in addition to Danny) must have had question marks on whether he could be a productive NBA player.  He obviously proved Danny and a lot of others wrong, but Green's emergence probably also has a lot to do with his team situation.  With all the firepower in Golden State it gave Green a great opportunity to be able to just be a garbage man and do all the little things to help the team.  It also depended on David Lee getting injured, because prior to that he was never really given a chance. 

Who knows how many other Draymond Green's there are out there in the NBA who just haven't been discovered do purely to a lack of opportunity.  Our very own Jordan Mickey may well be one, even Terry Rozier.   

In fact I feel that Mickey has a VERY high chance of  becoming a Draymond Green type of player.  So far he has excelled at every level - College, Summer League, Preseason, D-League, and even in the NBA in the brief minutes he's played.  He has shown every sign of being a guy who could really shock the world if given a real opportunity.

He actually has a lot of similar traits to Green as well.  Great athleticism, great length, very good rebounder, good finisher around the basket, nice jump shot with the potential to extend out to three point range, huge defensive potential.  Only thing Green has that I don't see in Mickey is the passing ability, but Draymond Green without the passing ability would still be one hell of a player.

This is why I still make the 'Serge Ibaka' comparisons with Mickey.  People probably think i'm crazy, but the two guys have a lot more in common than most probably realise, and Ibaka actually got drafted quite late (24th overall) and got limited playing time in his rookie year - then exploded after that.

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2016, 10:15:50 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Are you sure about that Rod Man? He's on Philly bro, If he came to the Celtics he's help us win Games. Please believe!

We are a team full of scrapping Defensive bulldog's.
 You have to remember that Crowder and Smart would be yelling at him constantly and holding him accountable.

What have people been saying forever we need another scorer and we need a star. Guess what, He's actually both those things.

We are a perfect fit for him the way I see it, he needs structure, check, and defenders around him check.

He's not a star though, and to be honest i don't really think of him as a scorer either.

If you think of all the great scorers in the NBA, typically they are multi-talented scorers who can put the ball in the basket in a variety of ways. 

Guys like Pierce and Melo for example can score from the perimeter, off the dribble, in the post, form midrange, can get to the line, etc.  Similar case for guys like Harden, Durant, CP3, Griffin, IT4, etc.

That's what I consider a great scorer - guys who don't jsut score in one way, but in a variety of ways.  It makes them so much harder to stop/defend because if you take away one part of their offensive game, they can find other ways to hurt you.

Okafor I don't see as a great scorer because his offensive game is so very one dimensional.  Once teams learn how to defend him in the paint and take away his post up game (e.g. double team, etc) then how is he going to get his points?

I think he'll just keep trying to force it inside regardless, because he just doesn't really have any other way to score. 

If he can develop a strong P&R game and develop a solid midrange jumper then he could become a really good offensive player and a legitimately tough cover, but he's going to need more then he has right now.  At the current rate, I really don't see him becoming any better offensively then Greg Monroe (who is a VERY similar offensive player, but a MUCH better passer and rebounder).

In fact I would definitely trade for Monroe over Okafor given the choice.  Monroe is older but is still pretty young (25), he's extremely consist, has a decent attitude.  He's easily as good as Okafor offensively but is a much better defender, a much better rebounder, and a much better passer.

I think the most accurate comparison for Okafor is definitely Brook Lopez, and I'd have to take Monroe over Lopez myself. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:22:27 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2016, 10:29:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
https://youtu.be/RXIZEAo9Fec

Great Stuff here. Cousins VS Okafor 10 days ago. Cousins defensive effort is pathetic, watch just the first three times Okafor scores on cousins, DMC doesn't even put a hand up. Horrible effort.

Cousins tries to dunk on him at 3 minutes in, Okafor challenges him, they don't call a foul and DMC misses badly.

I think you have a better HOPE of teaching Okafor to put his freaking hand up when the other guy is shooting than DMC. They both vould be labled cancers, however DMC is the one guy I actually would pass on given the price tag.