Poll: Bradley+Nets 2016 pick for Okafor

Yes
21 (23.6%)
No
42 (47.2%)
If the pick is three or lower Yes.
26 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Yes or No Bradley + Nets pick for Okafor  (Read 10942 times)

Re: Yes or No Bradley + Nets pick for Okafor
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It cracks me up that some think Avery is the deal breaker on landing one of the best big man prospects in the last 5 years who is 20 years old.
 What other big guy do you want? Can't get Okafor for nothing, just the fact we actually have a shot at him is because of Ainges genius.

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2016, 03:48:19 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
God no...not in a million years.

Why on earth anybody would want Okafor i just dont understand. 

The guy's only legitimate talent is post scoring.  He has no jumper, he doesn't get to the line, he's not a good passer, he's not a great rebounder, he's just about the worst defensive center in the NBA, he's horribly slow and poorly conditioned, and to top it all off he has a disgusting attitude.

He shows all the signs of being another Eddy Curry, and i don't think there are many people who would find that desirable.

Ultimately, the only reasons anybody like him are:

1)  He puts up good (albeit fairly inefficient) scoring numbers on a historically bad team

2) The fact that he was taken #2

Truth is, if you put a Sully on that Sixers team he'd probably average 18 and 10 in his sleep.

So an emphatic NO from me. 

Wouldnt give up the Brk pick for him, and i wouldnt give up Bradley for him. Certainly wouldnt give up both.

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2016, 03:59:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

It cracks me up that some think Avery is the deal breaker on landing one of the best big man prospects in the last 5 years who is 20 years old.
 What other big guy do you want? Can't get Okafor for nothing, just the fact we actually have a shot at him is because of Ainges genius.

Myles Turner > J.Okafor

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2016, 04:02:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Myles Turner > J.Okafor

I'd listen to an argument that Turner has a higher ceiling than Okafor, and / or more current value than Okafor due to his defensive skills / potential.

To which I'd point out that Myles Turner still looks like a risk to have a career significantly shortened by big-and-tall injuries.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Care to wager on that Who.

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

best big man prospect in last 5 years?

I would take
Anthony Davis
Cousins
Drummond
Gobert
Draymond Green
Anthony-Towns

Just off the top of my head .....

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2016, 05:25:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Care to wager on that Who.

If you like. TP bet. 10 TPs.

I think Turner has already surpassed Okafor and will continue to out-pace Okafor as their careers continue on. Much more athleticism, defensive chops and with a strong offensive game.

M.Turner > J.Okafor = L.Aldridge > Al Jefferson

A two way high caliber big over a one way above average big.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:34:49 PM by Who »

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

My problem with this is that you guys are all looking at Okafor as a prospect (what you HOPE he could become) rather than as a player (who he is, and who we know he can become). 

I look at Okafor right now and he has a LOT of holes/weaknesses in his game.  Yes I know he's only 20 years old, but if you look at all the big men in this league who have become great players, they ALL were really good at 2 or 3 differnt things when they came into the league.

Even Deandre Jordan was ALWAYS a crazy athlete, an great rebounder, a great shotblocker.

Monroe was always a good post scorer, great passer, great rebounder. 

Anthony Davis was always an elite defender, versatile scorer, great ball handler, super athletic, great rebounder.

Andre Drummond was always an elite rebounder, great post defender, fairly athletic and mobile, a best in the paint. 

Players come into the league and improve on their weaknesses, but when you have a guy who is BAD in so many areas, those guys don't usually become great players.  It's just rare to see somebody who is mediocre at almost everything, make enough dramatic strides in his game across so many areas.

Okafor really is mediocre at almost everything, with his only great skill being his post scoring.  The way I see it that puts him on a career trajectory to become a poor man's Al Jefferson at best...and there are a lot of big man in the NBA right now who I would take over Al jefferson, even in his prime.

When I see a guy like Smart, I can envision him becoming a great player, because he is solid (if not great) at a lot of things.  Three point shooting is really the only obvious major hole in his game, everything else he is decent at,and just needs to improve slightly.  Defense he's already elite at.   Add to this the fact that Smart has an elite work ethic and an obvious desire to be great, and that work ethic combined with the base skill set convinces me that he has a chance to be a special player.

Okafor is great at one thing, medicore at a few other things, horrendously bad at a few other things, and has what appears to be terrible attitude and work ethic...and leaves me incredibly concerned about whether he'll ever make the developmental strides people like to think he will.   I could see him being another Sullinger - guy who has the talent to be really good, but who lacks the motivation to ever make it happen.

i also am concerned by how much his stats are "inflated" by the fact that he's playing on such an incredibly bad team.  I've seen countless scenarios over the past 2-3 years where that Sixers team has called up D-league players, thrown them straight into major roles, and though D-league  guys have almost instantly looked like one of the better players on the team.  I feel like Rozier, Hunter and Mickey would look All-Rookie Team guys if they were in Philly right now. 

So how much can you trust the numbers Okafor is putting up there?

i honestly believe that "attitude" is one of the areas that people grossly undervalue when making calls on a player's upside.

You simply cannot underestimate the value of a guy who has toughness, a winning mentality, a great motor/work ethic, and a true desire to be great.   Those attributes all equate to motivation, which is one of the absolute key factors in player development - if you don't have a desire to be great, you'll probably never be great.

I think the perfect example of that is comparing Jared Sullinger to Jae Crowder.  Everybody on this board knows how much talent and potential that guy had when he came into the league.  Everybody expected him to go top 5 or top 6 if he didn't get dragged down with health red flags. 

Yet if you look at Sullinger now, you could quite fairly argue that he has actually declined as an all round player since his Rookie year.  I feel like that's all a result of lack of motivation and lack of generally giving a [dang].  I feel like he enjoys basketball, but wants to play it like it's a pick up game, and just go out and have some fun.  He doesn't have that mentality of wanting to make basketball his life a dedicate everything to the game. 

That's a personal choice and he has the right to that, but he's never going to become a great player with that attitude when there are other guys out there who are willing to work 5x as hard.

Jae Crowder was completely under-appreciated everywhere.  He looked like he has the bare minimum of talent, and nobody expected a thing when he came here in the trade.  Felt like a little throw in just for the sake of getting something.  But look at the player he has developed into.  All of that has come not because of his raw talent, but because of his unlimited motivation and his willingness to take his work ethic and devotion to a whole other level.

Now sometimes you can get guys who are just SO [dang] talented that they could put in 80% effort and probably still be all-star.  I'm talking about guys like Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbook, etc.  Those guys liike like future all-time greats, but if they worked only 80% as hard as they do, they'd probably still be All-Stars on talent alone.

Thing with Okafor is that I see him having a "Sully-like" personality, but I don't see him having anything hear that "ADavis / KDurant" talent - the type of talent that would allow him to cruise and still become a star.

I think Okafor undoubtedly has the talent to be a star IF he puts in some serious work, but I just don't see Okafor as the kind of guy who has the type of work ethic. 

If Okafor ever becomes better than Al Jefferson was in his absolute prime (or better than Brook Lopez is now) then I will be honestly quite surprised.  I just don't see him having enough combined talent/motivation to exceed that level.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:52:32 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2016, 05:54:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I would take
Anthony Davis
Cousins
Drummond
Gobert
Draymond Green
Anthony-Towns

Gobbert, better than Okafor No way, Green is great but not a true big man,

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2016, 05:54:23 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Myles Turner > J.Okafor

I agree with this. I also think the idea that we would have to package anything other than salary filler together with the Brooklyn pick to get Okafor is absurd. The pick alone is worth as much or more than him.

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I would take
Anthony Davis
Cousins
Drummond
Gobert
Draymond Green
Anthony-Towns

Gotta add Porzingis to that list, and soon enough Embiid.

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

I would take
Anthony Davis
Cousins
Drummond
Gobert
Draymond Green
Anthony-Towns

Gobert over Okafor is a fair call.  He is statistically THE best rim protector in the entire NBA, he's an elite rebounder, and he's capable of also contributing (very efficiently) on offense too.  Plus he's only 23 years old, and doesn't seem to have Okafor's personality issues.

Did you see how Gobert almost single handedly controlled the game yesterday?  He was one man, and he absolutely killed us out there.  We couldn't get ANYTHING inside - he was altering or swatting away anything that came withing 3-5 feet of the basket.

People talk about traditional 'around the basket' big men not having a role in the league today, but I think that the recent Utah game is a very obvious reflection of how wrong that way of thinking is.  If you have one man who can eliminate your ability to score in the paint, then all you need is 2 or 3 strong perimeter defenders to stick to the outside shooters, and you have the potential to completely destroy a team's offense. 

Part of why I was hoping so hard for Dwight Howard prior to the deadline...though I do understand he's not quite the rim protector he once was, he can still have a huge impact defensively in the paint.  But I also get it would have been a massive risk, so I don't blame Danny for not going there.

But yeah, I'd take Gobert over Okafor any day.

I'd also add Noel to the list (I'd take him over Okafor) and yes, Porzingis too. Embiid might be added to that list if he plays this season - we'll have to see how he goes.

I think guys like Okafor (guys who can score, but don't do much else) are typically highly overrated in the league, because scoring is such a glamour stat (guy who score look good on the box score, but don't always help you win) and for that reason I think it's pretty typical to see guys showing so much interest in him. 

I have no doubts that Okafor has the potential to be a consistent 20 PPG scorer, but I do have doubts as to whether Okafor will ever be able to become a well rounded big man who can impact the game in multiple ways.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:49:56 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2016, 06:30:14 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I would take
Anthony Davis
Cousins
Drummond
Gobert
Draymond Green
Anthony-Towns

Gobert over Okafor is a fair call.  He is statistically THE best rim protector in the entire NBA, he's an elite rebounder, and he's capable of also contributing (very efficiently) on offense too.  Plus he's only 23 years old, and doesn't seem to have Okafor's personality issues.

Did you see how Gobert almost single handedly controlled the game yesterday?  He was one man, and he absolutely killed us out there.  We couldn't get ANYTHING inside - he was altering or swatting away anything that came withing 3-5 feet of the basket.

Yeah, I'd take Gobert over Okafor any day.

I'd also add Noel to the list (I'd take him over Okafor) and yes, Porzingis too.

Embiid might be added to that list if he plays this season - we'll have to see how he goes.

Okafor is really, really overrated.

Alex Len is also making a case to be on that list, and looks on par with Okafor imo. A bit lesser player on offense but developing, and a much better player on defense than Okafor.

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Edit: Accidental post

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2016, 06:45:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would take Gobert over J.Okafor too.

I rate Gobert as the 6th best center in the league behind DeMarcus Cousins, Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan and Al Horford.