Poll: Bradley+Nets 2016 pick for Okafor

Yes
21 (23.6%)
No
42 (47.2%)
If the pick is three or lower Yes.
26 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Yes or No Bradley + Nets pick for Okafor  (Read 10947 times)

Re: Yes or No Bradley + Nets pick for Okafor
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 11:37:18 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
No way. I have very little interest in any big man who can't shoot or protect the rim.  I think Okafor is going to end up being like Al Jefferson, a guy who puts up numbers but is difficult to build a successful team around.

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 01:21:07 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
No, because Okafor is still several years away from being a net positive NBA player.  He definitely has some NBA skills , but so does Marcus Smart (for example) and I don't think anyone would argue Smart is currently worth a high lottery pick (which I realize he was in his draft).

Bradley is a good player who's remained relevant for years in different styles, with a variety of teammates, under two coaches and has no problem coming off the bench.  I don't expect his trade value to ever represent what he's actually worth so I probably wouldn't trade him.

If I was the 6'ers I'd trade Okafor for Bradley and the pick in a heartbeat since you'd be trading a guy who will someday be a good pro for a guy who is already a good pro and a pick that could be a superstar.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 05:26:55 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

IDream, you make that trade ten out of ten times at the deadline before you know what the Nets pick is. Most likely its three or worse.
 Who would you rather have Henry Ellenson or Okafor? It's a no Brainer IMO. Bradley is not gonna break the trade.
 We already have tons of options in place to replace his minutes. Smart would start at the two, then Rozier, Hunter and Young we just need one of those guys to make the jump, and we probably resign Turner in this scenario.
 It would be a steal for Boston.

Okafor
 Kelly
 Crowder
 Smart
 Thomas

Stevens would win 55 with this team.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 06:10:46 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Also it would open the door to make another move and draft Buddy Hield or my guy Valentine.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 06:59:53 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

IDream, you make that trade ten out of ten times at the deadline before you know what the Nets pick is. Most likely its three or worse.
 Who would you rather have Henry Ellenson or Okafor? It's a no Brainer IMO. Bradley is not gonna break the trade.
 We already have tons of options in place to replace his minutes. Smart would start at the two, then Rozier, Hunter and Young we just need one of those guys to make the jump, and we probably resign Turner in this scenario.
 It would be a steal for Boston.

Okafor
 Kelly
 Crowder
 Smart
 Thomas

Stevens would win 55 with this team.

Eh, I mean you could do worse, my impression of Okafor is that he's definitely talented, but he doesn't have shooting range, he doesn't concentrate or work very hard on D, he weirdly doesn't draw a lot of fouls, he doesn't rebound at a high rate, and he doesn't pass.  He's also not going ever going to dominate in the NBA with athleticism or size the way he could at Kentucky.

He's good at scoring around the basket and from the elbows, has kind of a shockingly good handle, and has spurts where he shows some nice footwork and timing.  He definitely does seem to play hard on offense, his PER ranking is 90th out of active players (one spot below 89 Kelly Olynyk) so I think his ceiling is probably a poor man's Lamarcus Aldridge which is not bad, but also not what I'd want to trade the Celtic's best asset in years for in addition to a proven vet if I was the GM.

I guess it basically boils down to the fact that I think Okafor will be a good Pro, but never a real Star in NBA terms.   

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 10:30:51 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Dude played for Duke, not Kentucky. But anyway let's also remember he came into the league at 19, pretty sure. Maybe he's 20 by now. He's young, has excellent size and instincts, and is coachable or else Coach K would not have leaned on him as much as he did. I trust Duke guys to be hard workers, by and large. I think he learns how to be at least a serviceable, net-neutral defender - but could end up as a very good one. Defense is about effort and positioning. Would you wanna bet CBS couldn't get that out of him?

People liked to sour on him and point out his flaws before the draft compared to Towns, but again, the dude is extremely young and extremely talented. He will be a very good big for years in this league. I went to opening night and here wasn't NOTHIN our bigs could do about that boy.

In a weird way, I would almost do that trade just to rescue a young, talented player from a bad situation - he needs guidance and this would be a team that would get the most out of him. Having said that, I would do the trade - but only if there wasn't another, better one available. GMs salivate over top-3 picks. I keep the pick if it's 1-2.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why is Avery Bradley part of this.  I think the trade is Okafor for the Pick, that is equal value.  Add it Jerebko or some other lesser value to match up the salaries.

I do the pick for Okafor but I don't include Bradley.

Okafor for the pick straight up is not fair for Phiily especially if it's Four or lower. No motivation to move a franchise big for that.
 They may be interested in Rozier Mickey Young package but Im sure they would rather have Avery and be better Quickly.

I was commenting based on trading the pick today meaning we don't know what the pick will be.  Based on the odds that it could be the #1 and the odds it could be #8, I would trade the pick for Okafor along with salary filler.  I don't consider Bradley as filler.  He is a valuable asset who can contribute and is on a fair contract.

If you make the question, would you trade if it is #1 or #3 or whatever, it is a different (and easier) question.  I like Okafor.  He is right their with any of this draft's prospects.  If the balls fall the right way and we get the #1 pick, I would not oppose trading it but we might be able to do better than Okafor.  I am not sold that any of the draft prospects are sure fire.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Why is Avery Bradley part of this.  I think the trade is Okafor for the Pick, that is equal value.  Add it Jerebko or some other lesser value to match up the salaries.

I do the pick for Okafor but I don't include Bradley.

Okafor for the pick straight up is not fair for Phiily especially if it's Four or lower. No motivation to move a franchise big for that.
 They may be interested in Rozier Mickey Young package but Im sure they would rather have Avery and be better Quickly.

I was commenting based on trading the pick today meaning we don't know what the pick will be.  Based on the odds that it could be the #1 and the odds it could be #8, I would trade the pick for Okafor along with salary filler.  I don't consider Bradley as filler.  He is a valuable asset who can contribute and is on a fair contract.

If you make the question, would you trade if it is #1 or #3 or whatever, it is a different (and easier) question.  I like Okafor.  He is right their with any of this draft's prospects.  If the balls fall the right way and we get the #1 pick, I would not oppose trading it but we might be able to do better than Okafor.  I am not sold that any of the draft prospects are sure fire.
so i guess a question to ask is this:

if okafur was still in college and in this year's draft, where would he be ranked? ahead of simmons? ahead of bender? brown?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If three or lower or if the pick is the 2017 flex pick or the 2018 Nets pick.  But I agree with the contingent who think he's more of Al Jefferson than Tim Duncan and that's not worth potentially missing out on Ben Simmons. 

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would think about doing it  if we were sure that we could get Buddy Hield with one our other picks.

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Heck yes. Too easy.

Okafor is 20. He's worth two firsts plus Bradley. He's a legit NBA big. They are scarce in the league.

With those tools at 20, what happens in 3/4 years with development ? He's better than anyone in this years draft and 2017, for that matter.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
if okafur was still in college and in this year's draft, where would he be ranked? ahead of simmons? ahead of bender? brown?
Is there any question that he would be in the discussion for a top 2, 3 or 4 pick?

Up until recently, there has been a sort of conventional wisdom that has assumed Simmonds will be #1 but I think that may now be in question.  Simmonds is by no means sure fire star any more than say Michael Beasley was.  No one knows that Simmonds will have a better career than Jahlil Okafor.  Odds seem to favor Simmonds right now but nothing is certain.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 12:41:28 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Brooklyn pick if it was 3 or below.

No Avery Bradley. Give them one of our scrub players like Rozier or Young. Call it a day  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

How about the fact that Okafor is only 6'9.5" tall with no shoes. That's the only time he was ever measured without shoes in 2013.
 I can't believe he wasn't measured at the NBA combine that is wierd. It's not a huge concern with his crazy length, strength and quickness, but it's something I noticed he's not as tall as advertised.

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
No I would not just throw in Bradley based on principle alone. But regardless I'm not just throwing in Bradley.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio