Author Topic: Hou trade Montejunas to Det  (Read 4585 times)

Re: Hou trade Montejunas to Det
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 01:05:58 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Has Detroit gotten better than us?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Detroit won the deadline.

Yet lost this deal.

How so? That pick will likely end up somewhere around 20 and Joel Anthony may not even suit up for them. I don't think the draft is very strong after the top 2, and it's a very good chance whoever is selected with that pick won't be better than Montejunas.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 01:20:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yet lost this deal.

How so? That pick will likely end up somewhere around 20 and Joel Anthony may not even suit up for them. I don't think the draft is very strong after the top 2, and it's a very good chance whoever is selected with that pick won't be better than Montejunas.

He's just talking nonsense. Must support his angle in another thread. I'm personally still waiting on his "undisclosed source (s)" regarding Celtic rumors.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 01:20:15 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
VERY nice return for Morey.

Eh. Will end up being the 20th pick or so in the draft. Wasn't DMo's stock a lot higher earlier this season?

You think the Pistons are moving up 6 slots rest of this year?

1sts are hard to acquire. Just reading Lowe's take:

So DET gave its protected 1st for a guy who has barely played this year due to back injury, and not for Tobias Harris? HOU fans are gonna be mad, but top-8 protected pick (via @TimBontemps) is solid return for injured RFA Rox didn't want to pay. Better return than what Utah got for Kanter, and what OKC got for Jackson -- RFAs traded last year. ~ Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Has Detroit gotten better than us?

Possibly, they've made 2 solid moves.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Shocking that Houston gave up on Motiejunas. They must be really scared of that back injury.

Not a good sign for Detroit.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Yet lost this deal.

He's just talking nonsense. Must support his angle in another thread. I'm personally still waiting on his "undisclosed source (s)" regarding Celtic rumors.

see 3 posts above.

it's not nonsense... it's based on, you know, actual real world value stuff that's helpful in these discussions about actual real world value. like the fact he hasn't played since 2015 due to a back injury.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:30:26 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Shocking that Houston gave up on Motiejunas. They must be really scared of that back injury.

Not a good sign for Detroit.

Maybe with Dwight's back issues, they figured they just had too many big men with questionable backs due for pay raises this summer.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yet lost this deal.

see 3 posts above.

it's not nonsense... it's based on, you know, actual real world value stuff that matters in these discussions. like the fact he hasn't played since 2015 due to a back injury.

Your point is equally as invalid as it was 3+ posts above.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Wow, the Pistons totally won this trade. Motiejunas is going to be an awesome fit next to Drummond for many years.

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Eh. Will end up being the 20th pick or so in the draft. Wasn't DMo's stock a lot higher earlier this season?

So DET gave its protected 1st for a guy who has barely played this year due to back injury, and not for Tobias Harris? HOU fans are gonna be mad, but top-8 protected pick (via @TimBontemps) is solid return for injured RFA Rox didn't want to pay. Better return than what Utah got for Kanter, and what OKC got for Jackson -- RFAs traded last year. ~ Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

About that. They'll make the playoffs in the East, which automatically puts them no lower than 16th. Detroit currently one game behind the Bulls (7th seed). I think they'll definitely end up with a better record than the 7th/8th seeds in the West. I'm guessing Detroit winds up with about the 20th pick.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 01:33:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Yet lost this deal.

see 3 posts above.

it's not nonsense... it's based on, you know, actual real world value stuff that's helpful in these discussions about actual real world value. like the fact he hasn't played since 2015 due to a back injury.

Your point is equally as invalid as it was 3+ posts above.

strong argument. so you're just going with the Agent Kujan 'i'm smarter than you' thing?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

About that. They'll make the playoffs in the East, which automatically puts them no lower than 16th. Detroit currently one game behind the Bulls (7th seed). I think they'll definitely end up with a better record than the 7th/8th seeds in the West. I'm guessing Detroit winds up with about the 20th pick.

OK fair enough -- let's say that's how it shakes out, though integrating Harris may actually decrease their wins this year in an effort to improve long term.

Grabbing the 20th pick in the draft for an injured player headed for (restricted) free agency who you don't intend to sign? Pretty good!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 01:37:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I do think 1st rounders get a bit overrated. At some point, that promise has to turn into an actual player. Looking at what's projected in the middle part of the 1st round, none of those guys really move the needle for Detroit. SVG clearly has a plan for what he wants that roster to be, I like this move. I love the Tobias Harris move. They could use a more consistent outside shooter, maybe Meeks when he gets back, but I think they could end up somewhere around the 4 or 5 seed.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I do think 1st rounders get a bit overrated. At some point, that promise has to turn into an actual player. Looking at what's projected in the middle part of the 1st round, none of those guys really move the needle for Detroit. SVG clearly has a plan for what he wants that roster to be, I like this move. I love the Tobias Harris move. They could use a more consistent outside shooter, maybe Meeks when he gets back, but I think they could end up somewhere around the 4 or 5 seed.

Whether you're a glass half empty or full person on the draft, the picks themselves have a defined value in the NBA world. And as teams have become more sophisticated about roster and cap management, 1st have become harder to come by.

Within the context of recent historical value, this pick is a good get for DM. Example: PHX got a far later pick for Isaish Thomas last year. He and Montiejunas are not comparable assets -- not even close, really.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:58:28 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)