Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics favorites to land Horford  (Read 8663 times)

Re: Rumor: Celtics favorites to land Horford
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2016, 05:32:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

#Sherrod

#Sources
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Some have sauces, other have sauce cans, you know.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Has Sherrod ever been right? Articles just full of spelling errors

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I'll be honest...I saw the title of this and felt like a kid opening a huge present on Christmas day... Then saw it was Sherrod... Now it feels like that gift was coal

100% agree. Saw this on another blog and was very excited....then I saw it was from Sherrod.  :-\

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I mean, he's not a kid anymore, and you gotta worry a little bit about his injury history, but he's still pretty [dang] good and would fit in perfectly here.  You can't just look at what he's averaging, it's a different team, different situation.  Just ask Jae Crowder that going from Dallas to Boston.
I'm not looking at what he's averaging, I'm looking at the nose dive in production, and its correlation with recent history of missed games. There's nothing remotely similar between this and keeping JC buried on the bench for a couple of seasons because you didn't know what you had in him.

He's only averaged 20pts once in his career...and this year he's averaging 17 and 8.  So I'm not really sure I know what you mean by "nose dive in production."  I'm not saying give up everything for him, but to think you're gonna get him just for Lee's contract and a low-end first round pick (which are seen as completely useless by GMs when making trades) is just completely unrealistic.  Which again, shows me you don't want him anyway, so it's kind of a pointless debate we're having anyway.

Brooklyn picks are off the table, but I'd be willing to do the Lee contract, any other combo of 2 or 3 draft picks, Jerebko, and James Young.  If Atlanta wants to swap out Jerebko and Young for Kelly Olynyk, I'd also greatly consider that as well.

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 05:57:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He went from a guy who gave you 10 rebounds per 36 to a guy who gives you less than 8 rebounds per 36. His defensive and total rebounding percentages are down the gutter. It's not a coincidence this happened after two major injuries, and it's not a coincidence that his minutes are down to 30-33 per game.

He's actually averaging 15 and 7 this season, not 17 and 8, and this is not great production based on what he used to be capable of. Sure, he's still a nice player, but he's damaged goods and will be on the wrong side of 30 for his next contract (should you choose to keep him).

So yeah, half a seasons guaranteed of Al Horford is not worth more than a low first-rounder to me, and it shouldn't be to you or to Danny Ainge, either.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 05:59:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He went from a guy who gave you 10 rebounds per 36 to a guy who gives you less than 8 rebounds per 36. His defensive and total rebounding percentages are down the gutter. It's not a coincidence this happened after two major injuries, and it's not a coincidence that his minutes are down to 30-33 per game.

He's actually averaging 15 and 7 this season, not 17 and 8, and this is not great production based on what he used to be capable of. Sure, he's still a nice player, but he's damaged goods and will be on the wrong side of 30 for his next contract (should you choose to keep him).

So yeah, half a seasons guaranteed of Al Horford is not worth more than a low first-rounder to me, and it shouldn't be to you or to Danny Ainge, either.

TP

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 06:03:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You're not going to get a complete picture of Horford's value by looking simply at points and rebounds.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 06:04:35 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell

Then you're gonna pretty unhappy with Ainge if he pulls it off.  Because I'd be willing to bet he vehemently disagrees with you.  So prepare yourself to be disappointed.

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 06:07:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Then you're gonna pretty unhappy with Ainge if he pulls it off.  Because I'd be willing to bet he vehemently disagrees with you.  So prepare yourself to be disappointed.
If Ainge disagreed with me, Horford would have been in green already. But based on what he says and what he does, Ainge seems to agree more with me than with you.

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2016, 06:10:31 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell

If Ainge disagreed with me, Horford would have been in green already. But based on what he says and what he does, Ainge seems to agree more with me than with you.

What makes you say he'd be in green already?  How could you know that?

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2016, 06:17:25 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Chris Broussard and Sherrod Blakely sources...hahahaha

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Because if Ainge thought Horford was so great, he has ample ways to throw the bank at ATL. And he hasn't.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2016, 07:03:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Because if Ainge thought Horford was so great, he has ample ways to throw the bank at ATL. And he hasn't.
Best to wait until the very deadline.  There's a lot of posturing in the weeks and days leading up to the deadline.  Teams hold out to get an overpay.  Ultimately, someone is going to snag guys like Dwight Howard and Al Horford for a reasonable price, because those teams aren't going to let them walk for nothing.    Also, potentially cheaper rentals (like Pau gasol), might appear out of nowhere on the trade market.   Also, there's stars like Kevin love and Blake Griffin and DeMarcus Cousins who might be considered "untouchable" today, but might be had minutes before the deadline.

It's in Ainge's best interest to set up some tentative deals... and wait to see how stuff shakes out during the hysteria tomorrow.  Dominos could fall that will cause things to shake loose for less than expected.  Sure as heck don't want to give up that Brooklyn pick for Al Horford only to find out tomorrow that OKC is secretly shopping Durant for fear of losing him in free agency.

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
It's in Ainge's best interest to set up some tentative deals... and wait to see how stuff shakes out during the hysteria tomorrow.
That's as much in his interest as against. By waiting you always risk that  someone desperate will come around and  trump you with a godfather offer.