Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics favorites to land Horford  (Read 8650 times)

Re: Rumor: Celtics favorites to land Horford
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 04:54:49 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'll be honest...I saw the title of this and felt like a kid opening a huge present on Christmas day... Then saw it was Sherrod... Now it feels like that gift was coal

Even broken clocks are right twice a day?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 05:02:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Well, it's fun to talk about something that is nearly a rumor. 

If C's can get him for any combo of Lee, Amir, C's #1, Dallas #1 -- I am on board.   No Brooklyn picks!

That said, I don't see the benefit to Atlanta unless they know they will lose Horford (which I doubt they know) for nothing.

Interesting that the Hawks are on;y 3.5 games out of the ninth spot, so they could easily slide into the lottery.  With the Dallas pick, they could hope for 2 lottery picks.  But still, they're not getting into the top 10.   Low value for Horford I think.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Steve Kyler weighs in,

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 43m43 minutes ago

It lines up with the prevailing thought... but have not heard anything on Hawks decision.   

Later Kyler says he has no idea what the Hawks will finally decide to do. Jay King says that it would be no surprise either. Kyler said today that Celtics are among most active in the league even if we don't see it. No surprise to most of us i would think.

I'd rather have Love and his cheaper future contract myself, but Horford's a good player and we actually HAVE to find a way to use up cap. Between IT, AB, JC, and Smart the Cs have only 26M tied up in 2017-18 when the cap will be $108 million and the floor would be 90% of that. Probably want to re-sign KO for some number as an RFA too,

Obviously don't want to throw money away, but there would be worse places to spend than on a 4 time all-star with a versatile game. I think we're all going to have to adjust to these spikes in salary and have to trust that Ainge, Zarren, et al will figure out how to transition better than the rest.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 05:06:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well since he said it was according to "a league source" (what does that even mean?) that must mean...

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 05:07:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If C's can get him for any combo of Lee, Amir, C's #1, Dallas #1 -- I am on board.   No Brooklyn picks!
I've decided my limit is Lee + a low-impact first-rounder. If ATL doesn't like it, they may keep Horford and let him expire.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 05:09:29 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Well since he said it was according to "a league source" (what does that even mean?) that must mean...

My guess is that it means someone who works in an official capacity with a team or the league office, as opposed to a player, agent, player entourage/family member, etc.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 05:10:18 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Since this is Sherrod, look for Horford to sign an extension with the Hawks tonight.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I've decided my limit is Lee + a low-impact first-rounder. If ATL doesn't like it, they may keep Horford and let him expire.

If that's as far as you're gonna go, then forget about Horford ever coming here.  If Ainge went to the Hawks with that exact trade proposal, the Hawks would interpret that as "oh...well then you don't really want him anyway"

So something tells me, you don't really want Horford anyway.  Cause that proposal you made is literally the equivalent to a bag of balls.  Atlanta's not stupid.

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I think with mid first rounder we can be generous since we have so many of them. They are potentially worth more now than they are once we draft him and stash him in Maine all year. I mean, think about it, what would the Boston and Dallas picks (mid to late first rounders) be worth this year compared to what Rozier and Hunter (mid to late first rounders from last year) worth now? People like potential more than the reality.

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

If that's as far as you're gonna go, then forget about Horford ever coming here.  If Ainge went to the Hawks with that exact trade proposal, the Hawks would interpret that as "oh...well then you don't really want him anyway"

So something tells me, you don't really want Horford anyway.  Cause that proposal you made is literally the equivalent to a bag of balls.  Atlanta's not stupid.
They're welcome to keep him then. He's not as good this year as he's been in the past -- and is a rental.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 05:15:24 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Ultimately I really don't think ATL is trying too trade Horford. I think for the right price he could be had but that price is more then I think most of us would be willing to pay. It's more of a sure if you give a way above market offer then you can have him.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

You wouldn't send C's AND Dallas picks along with Lee?   I think I would.   And would add Zeller if it helped.   I think that's basically not that much for Horford and I doubt Hawks would give the green light.

If Horford can be had for the above, then what about Love using Brooklyn '16, Sully and Bradley (3-way with NO)?

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119

They're welcome to keep him then. He's not as good this year as he's been in the past -- and is a rental.

I mean, he's not a kid anymore, and you gotta worry a little bit about his injury history, but he's still pretty [dang] good and would fit in perfectly here.  You can't just look at what he's averaging, it's a different team, different situation.  Just ask Jae Crowder that going from Dallas to Boston.

Your point about him being a rental is a fair one, but that's a risk you gotta be willing to take.  Good to great players don't come here as free agents...they just don't.  The only chance you have of somebody signing here as a free agent is trading for someone in the last year of their deal, hope that the team plays well enough and he likes it here enough to the point where he can be convinced to sign here long term.

If your mindset on Horford being traded to here is what you say it is, then you're gonna be massively disappointed if/when it actually happens because some solid assets will be in this deal.

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 05:28:19 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
This trade makes too much sense therefore it won't happen lol

If you can get him without giving up the moon go do it. He blends in well with the C's.

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 05:32:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I mean, he's not a kid anymore, and you gotta worry a little bit about his injury history, but he's still pretty [dang] good and would fit in perfectly here.  You can't just look at what he's averaging, it's a different team, different situation.  Just ask Jae Crowder that going from Dallas to Boston.
I'm not looking at what he's averaging, I'm looking at the nose dive in production, and its correlation with recent history of missed games. There's nothing remotely similar between this and keeping JC buried on the bench for a couple of seasons because you didn't know what you had in him.