Author Topic: Rudy Gay wants out?  (Read 3392 times)

Re: Rudy Gay wants out?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Ya let's give them 8 players and 9 picks for him. That should do it. Or how about one young player "Young" and one Dallas pick?

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
All the Rudy Gay hate is a little outdated.

Once upon a time, Gay averaged about 19/6, with low efficiency and a giant contract.

Today, he's been around 20 ppg with TS% of 56 for the last 3 years. He gets to the line (80%+) and is a decent outside shooter (~35%+). He has a reasonable contract. He legitimately plays two positions as a 3/ stretch 4 in today's game.

He's not an All-Star, but he's a darn good player. He's never played in a winning environment or for a good coach.

Would I pay a ton for him? No. But getting Rudy Gay cheap beats the heck out of overpaying for e.g. Horford.

29 year-old guys who can score 20ppg with decent efficiency,  play two positions, and have reasonable contracts don't grow on trees...

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 01:58:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
All the Rudy Gay hate is a little outdated.

Once upon a time, Gay averaged about 19/6, with low efficiency and a giant contract.

Today, he's been around 20 ppg with TS% of 56 for the last 3 years. He gets to the line (80%+) and is a decent outside shooter (~35%+). He has a reasonable contract. He legitimately plays two positions as a 3/ stretch 4 in today's game.

He's not an All-Star, but he's a darn good player. He's never played in a winning environment or for a good coach.

Would I pay a ton for him? No. But getting Rudy Gay cheap beats the heck out of overpaying for e.g. Horford.

29 year-old guys who can score 20ppg with decent efficiency,  play two positions, and have reasonable contracts don't grow on trees...
How do you know he didn't grow on a tree? :)

Yeah, I'm not crazy about him but good post.  I'd give him a shot if he can be had cheap.  Maybe Stevens can increase his value like he has done with Crowder and IT.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Rudy Gay is a stat hunting defensive liability who only seems to make teams better when he leaves

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 02:39:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Work a three-way trade with Sacramento and Cleveland to get Kevin love here? Anyone? Sacramento has what Cleveland wants for a hypothetical deal for Kevin Love. Rudy Gay, Kosta Koufos, Marco Belinelli. Celtics could get in there to swoop in for Love.

LOVE the idea, but why do they need us.

Edit: Have to add Mozgov to make $$$ work.

Sac gets LOVE, and Cavs get Gay, Belinelli and Koufos.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:51:25 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This was announced during one of he Boston games, and i recall the commentators mentioned that Sacramento wants a perimeter defender and a three point shooting big.

On the plus side we have tons of players who meet that (Bradley, Crowder, Smart, Olynyk).  On the downside i have no interest in trading any of those guys for Gay.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
This was announced during one of he Boston games, and i recall the commentators mentioned that Sacramento wants a perimeter defender and a three point shooting big.

On the plus side we have tons of players who meet that (Bradley, Crowder, Smart, Olynyk).  On the downside i have no interest in trading any of those guys for Gay.

Yeah I don't see us meeting those requirements (or wanting to). Unless they are very high on Jerebko.

I would mayyyybe do Jerebko + Bradley for Gay + McClemore or Casspi, and then move Smart into the starting lineup... but it feels more like tinkering than a real improvement.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Everyone wants to leave Sacto. How can you blame him? That place is like a black hole that destroys the souls of every basketball player who has the misfortune of stepping through it's boundaries. Ben McLemore's is begging to be traded just about anywhere else. Rudy Gay knows his time is running out and he wants to play on a decent team.

I don't think he really fits here, but he's played a lot better individually in Sacto. He could help somebody.

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 04:34:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I might do Lee, Sullinger, and James Young for Gay and McLemore. Assume that Vlade has never seen tape on Young, and thinks he can be a perimeter defender.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 12:47:52 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I might do Lee, Sullinger, and James Young for Gay and McLemore. Assume that Vlade has never seen tape on Young, and thinks he can be a perimeter defender.

If all we're giving up is Lee, Sullinger and Young then I would offer that for Gay straight up, no problems. 

We have too many bigs and we lack depth at the wing, so trading a couple of bigs for a very good wing player is A-OK in my books.

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 01:41:02 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

If all we're giving up is Lee, Sullinger and Young then I would offer that for Gay straight up, no problems. 

We have too many bigs and we lack depth at the wing, so trading a couple of bigs for a very good wing player is A-OK in my books.
so it comes down to weather or not you think gay is very good.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 01:42:50 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
No thanks. Maybe we'll take him if they throw in Cousins. Gay is a massive net negative.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers