Author Topic: Get Derrick Favors Now...  (Read 5539 times)

Re: Get Derrick Favors Now...
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 05:28:45 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Appreciate your love of Favors, but not your proposal. You keep Kelly with Favors. You either trade the BKLN pick and Sully, or Smart and a later 1st, to get him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 05:32:08 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I doubt the Jazz want to go into tank mode. They've just won 8 out of there last 10 and got a shot at the playoff. Favors is decent and still young but I think he's hit his ceiling.
This. TP.

Jazz are a very similar team to the Cs.

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I have to agree with the general view here:

1) I really like Favors
2) I think that is too much to offer, and leaves us too thin in terms of front-line and prospects

I would counter offer with:

* Sully
* Lee
* Young
* Brooklyn First (2018)
* Dallas 1st (2016)

I would think / hope that is enough to get it done, and if not I would throw in the Celtics 2016 pick as well.

Three first rounders, a $15m expiring contract, a productive big man and a prospect - that's a pretty good offering I think.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 12:18:07 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Favors is basically a more-efficient version of Sully. I'm not sure we should be dealing THAT much for him - even KO+Sully+Nets '18 seems a tad rich.

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 12:25:30 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Favors is basically a more-efficient version of Sully. I'm not sure we should be dealing THAT much for him - even KO+Sully+Nets '18 seems a tad rich.
I mean in the sense that they are both power forwards.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 12:33:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Explain to me again, and I guess you're going to have to pretend I am a five year old because I just don't get this, why would Utah, a team that has sucked for years and finally has a good young nucleus to build with and is showing some success, going to trade a young PF, just entering his prime years, who shows borderline All Star potential, and is on a good contract. Maybe I am just dense, but this makes zero sense.

Whatever logic you use to explain it, know I can use the same logic to explain why the Celtics have to trade Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas.

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 12:40:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Explain to me again, and I guess you're going to have to pretend I am a five year old because I just don't get this, why would Utah, a team that has sucked for years and finally has a good young nucleus to build with and is showing some success, going to trade a young PF, just entering his prime years, who shows borderline All Star potential, and is on a good contract. Maybe I am just dense, but this makes zero sense.

Whatever logic you use to explain it, know I can use the same logic to explain why the Celtics have to trade Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas.
TP for you. Too much speculation this time of the season. All will be revealed by Thursday.

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 01:10:56 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

What do you mean? Cause he was rumored to be available once in the summer when Utah was supposedly going after Millsap again. So obviously, he's still available right? Haha. Maybe for BRK 2016

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 01:43:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

It's been explained.

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 03:26:14 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's been explained.

It's been explained, but Nick wants it explained in a way that makes logical sense and that hasn't been done yet.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 03:52:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

It's been explained.

It's been explained, but Nick wants it explained in a way that makes logical sense and that hasn't been done yet.
How is the first post of the whole thread not logical. The Jazz are indeed a .500 team and in the C's position last year. Same position as in if they make the playoffs they will likely get swept by Warriors. We learned from last year a tank would help get them more high potential talent. If you look at their roster they also have guys to replace Favors already with Lyles and Gobert which is mentioned. Also via the original trade suggestion KO and Sully would also be added to the Center and PF group. The team as a whole is very young and needs developing by that time Favors will be in last year and probably wanting out. This may be his highest value in a trade. And as others have pointed out the trade is sending a lot to the Jazz, it's not like it was a low ball offer. Arrogance is saying it's not logical. It's perfectly logical if you actually read the post.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:03:52 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 04:20:15 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

It's been explained.

How is the first post of the whole thread not logical. The Jazz are indeed a .500 team and in the C's position last year. Same position as in if they make the playoffs they will likely get swept by Warriors. We learned from last year a tank would help get them more high potential talent. If you look at their roster they also have guys to replace Favors already with Lyles and Gobert which is mentioned. Also via the original trade suggestion KO and Sully would also be added to the Center and PF group. The team as a whole is very young and needs developing by that time Favors will be in last year and probably wanting out. This may be the his highest value in a trade. And as others have pointed out the trade is sending a lot to the Jazz, it's not like it was a low ball offer. Arrogance is saying it's not logical. It's perfectly logical if actually read the post.

The Celtics were better off making the playoffs instead of tanking.  The rumor that the Jazz are considering being buyers and making an offer for Jeff Teague makes a lot more sense that trading Favors and tanking.  This whole infatuation that some people have with tanking is just incredibly stupid.

Teams usually like having multiple good young players at a given position.  Being afraid of losing a potential free agent in the summer of 2018 is a horrible motivation for a grade.  The Jazz should be looking for a trade that helps them in both the short and long term.  Right now, they need some PG help.

Overall, you seem to be doing a poor job of assessing both how a team should act and how a team will act.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 04:24:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

It's been explained.

How is the first post of the whole thread not logical. The Jazz are indeed a .500 team and in the C's position last year. Same position as in if they make the playoffs they will likely get swept by Warriors. We learned from last year a tank would help get them more high potential talent. If you look at their roster they also have guys to replace Favors already with Lyles and Gobert which is mentioned. Also via the original trade suggestion KO and Sully would also be added to the Center and PF group. The team as a whole is very young and needs developing by that time Favors will be in last year and probably wanting out. This may be the his highest value in a trade. And as others have pointed out the trade is sending a lot to the Jazz, it's not like it was a low ball offer. Arrogance is saying it's not logical. It's perfectly logical if actually read the post.

The Celtics were better off making the playoffs instead of tanking.  The rumor that the Jazz are considering being buyers and making an offer for Jeff Teague makes a lot more sense that trading Favors and tanking.  This whole infatuation that some people have with tanking is just incredibly stupid.

Teams usually like having multiple good young players at a given position.  Being afraid of losing a potential free agent in the summer of 2018 is a horrible motivation for a grade.  The Jazz should be looking for a trade that helps them in both the short and long term.  Right now, they need some PG help.

Overall, you seem to be doing a poor job of assessing both how a team should act and how a team will act.
Me? What about you failing to assess the team? Didn't they draft PGs in recent drafts and still need to develop 70% of their roster. The current team is a long way from competing. Just look at that roster, the West and their record.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:19:03 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 04:41:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

It's been explained.

Me? What about you failing to assess the team? Didn't they draft PGs in recent drafts and still need to develop 70% of their roster. The current team is a long way of competing. Just look at that roster, the West and their record.

Their current roster would be in the playoffs if the season ended today.  Their goal should be to move upward, not downward.  They have a few extra picks and none that they owe to other teams.  As a young team, they have a lot of upside.  Some favorable development and a couple of key additions and they could be a team that flirts with 50 wins next season.  What kind of idiot would want to throw that away and tank?

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 04:45:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

It's been explained.

Me? What about you failing to assess the team? Didn't they draft PGs in recent drafts and still need to develop 70% of their roster. The current team is a long way of competing. Just look at that roster, the West and their record.

Their current roster would be in the playoffs if the season ended today.  Their goal should be to move upward, not downward.  They have a few extra picks and none that they owe to other teams.  As a young team, they have a lot of upside.  Some favorable development and a couple of key additions and they could be a team that flirts with 50 wins next season.  What kind of idiot would want to throw that away and tank?
Favorable development and all the rest is just wishful thinking. What do you think happens when they meet the Warriors or Spurs? What idiot thinks they have a shot?