Author Topic: Should we be afraid of KP and Turner next year?  (Read 1937 times)

Should we be afraid of KP and Turner next year?
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Myles Turner and Kristaps probably will make a jump in their game naturally for next season. Both will get stronger and gain experience. But if they come out and make the jump AD did or even in that realm......we should be scared.

Small Ball is the new NBA but Turner can play the 4 and so can KP (he does now). KP may be better suited as a future center and Turner is interchangeable but what will other teams do if they face a stretch four like these guys ( Towns as well). If need be these big guys can play the 4.

Re: Should we be afraid of KP and Turner next year?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The Celtics shouldn't be afraid of anything. Once you admit you are afraid, you have lost a key advantage. Don't trade defense for offense!  I like the way is team is evolving into a bunch of tough-minded defenders with just enough offense to get by.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Yeah, why would we be afraid?  I don't mind Johnson on either of those guys.

Neither players are passers, so they're extremely easy/safe to double team.  Smart/Bradley/Crowder/IT are some of the best guys in the league at coming to double and stripping the ball loose, and if that doesn't work they're fast enough to recover without causing much of a problem.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 11:50:11 AM »

• Ray Allen

Neither players are passers, so they're extremely easy/safe to double team.  Smart/Bradley/Crowder/IT are some of the best guys in the league at coming to double and stripping the ball loose, and if that doesn't work they're fast enough to recover without causing much of a problem.
Turner can pass out of a double. He's not c-webb but he also is not Bass/Whiteside

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 11:50:56 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
No one player is better than a great system, especially a 1st/2nd year player.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »

• Ray Allen
I think the Pacers could be really good. They have better shooters now and more guards. Then they have a big upgrade over Hibbert (even when Hibbert was at his best).

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
The Celtics shouldn't be afraid of anything. Once you admit you are afraid, you have lost a key advantage. Don't trade defense for offense!  I like the way is team is evolving into a bunch of tough-minded defenders with just enough offense to get by.

True, but I think we've got a little more than "just enough offense to get by," like say our 2010-2013 teams (though they had a better defense).

We prefer to play a defensive game, but if the opposing team just wants to run up the floor and shoot quickly, we're more than willing to do that, and pretty good at it.  We don't appear to have much trouble scoring 30+ in a quarter.
Philly:

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »

• Ray Allen
No one player is better than a great system, especially a 1st/2nd year player.
The Pacers have PG and added Monta. If Turner takes a jump then that is one hell of a team, not just one player.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 12:05:52 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

True, but I think we've got a little more than "just enough offense to get by," like say our 2010-2013 teams (though they had a better defense).

We prefer to play a defensive game, but if the opposing team just wants to run up the floor and shoot quickly, we're more than willing to do that, and pretty good at it.  We don't appear to have much trouble scoring 30+ in a quarter.
Not sure that's because we have a ton of offense, perhaps more related to pace and I think the C's are in the top-3 in that category.  When I say offense, I am referring to efficiency and ability to hit big shots at the end of games. Other than IT the team does have a guy like that.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Is Future Celtics Owner really Myles Turner??
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 12:07:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why should we be afraid? We should be excited that the NBA is developing more young talents to provide a more competitive field and better balance across the boards.

I'm a die hard Celts fan but I'd love to see Porzingas and Turner both break out next season for the betterment of the league.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 12:08:20 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Turner can pass out of a double. He's not c-webb but he also is not Bass/Whiteside

I'm sure he can, it's a matter of how good he is.  Is he just getting the ball to his teammate, or is he getting it there on time and on target in a way that his teammate can easily control it and have an angle?  Does he keep a mental image of where everyone is on the court at all times?  And if so, with what frequency is he refreshing the image?  Some players are good at knowing where everyone is, and some players aren't.

It's easy to pass out of a double team when you're looking at an open player, it's a whole other thing when the double team catches you off guard and now 2 guys are in your face, blocking your ability to see your teammates.

For the record, Turner averages less than 1 assist per 36 minutes!  Bass on the other hand averages 2.2.
Philly:

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 12:29:24 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Myles Turner and Kristaps probably will make a jump in their game naturally for next season. Both will get stronger and gain experience. But if they come out and make the jump AD did or even in that realm......we should be scared.

Small Ball is the new NBA but Turner can play the 4 and so can KP (he does now). KP may be better suited as a future center and Turner is interchangeable but what will other teams do if they face a stretch four like these guys ( Towns as well). If need be these big guys can play the 4.
Pacers and Knicks should be the ones that are scared, last time I checked the Celtics are in the third seed , with a potential top 3 pick coming up in this years draft, last years playoff run might have cost the Celtics a few places in the draft but gained Stevens tremendous credibility that has carried into this season and beyond.A lot easy for a coach to garner respect of players if he actually puts together some wins and doesn't go through multiple 25 win seasons.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 12:46:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Trembling with fear.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Suck it up, cupcake.