Author Topic: Aaron Gordon got robbed. Should of won the dunk contest  (Read 7985 times)

Re: Aaron Gordon got robbed. Should of won the dunk contest
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
First of I completely agree that he got robbed. I don't know what was Gervin's game (except that finger roll stuff) so I can't tell but to put Magic and Dikembe in there and even Shaq as judges is silly to me. Only relevant dunker was T-Mac so he can understand way better then those three how difficult those two dunks ware... Never mind that, even the average bball fan who never dunked the ball saw that Gordon was better last night. He did something special, something new nobody's seen before, something very very difficult and that's why he should have won the contest. That first dunk with the mascot turning around stuff was waaaay better then the dunk Lavine did and they should have give to him 49. Don't get me wrong, all dunks were for 50 but if you have one one dunk that is better then the second one you should go with the 50 to 49. If that happened, Gordon would have won with 100 to Lavine's 99.

It's funny to me because if that happened in Europe or in my country everybody would be talking about the setup and incompetence of the judges (with extremely harsh words).

The problem with the judging system is they should vote after both dunks so they can properly evaluate both dunks per round. If that was the case, Lavine would lose that first round...

I like Lavine but his dunks are almost all the same. Of the one leg behind the back or through the legs. The dunks are amazing but yesterday he didn't do anything we haven't seen from him or before... compared to those two out of this world dunks from AG...

He should have won that contest. Think he's untouchable right now in Orlando...

Also, shame IT didn't get that skills challenge...
That's a good idea. In the final round the judges see both dunks before posting their scores.

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 09:23:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Thanks for giving away the result in the thread title for those of us who haven't watched it yet.

Should have stayed off of Celtics blog like I did until you watched it. By this point in social media you should know you will come across some a spoiler of a major event if you're bumming around the internet.  ;)

It could have been avoided in so many ways by the OP.

Anyway I did watch it, and yes, it was awesome.

Gordon had the single best dunk, I think Lavines free throw line antics were pretty amazing too though, and can understand how in the heat of the moment he was the winner.

Gordon could have won, but he certainly wasn't 'robbed'- at least IMO.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 09:52:18 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Looks like Gordon's dunk has been done before.

Here is the possible creator of the sit down in the air dunk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=aFfqUTrL0Y8

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 02:46:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Looks like Gordon's dunk has been done before.

Here is the possible creator of the sit down in the air dunk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=aFfqUTrL0Y8

Yeah. But doesn't matter Aaron Gordon did justice plus some

Lavine vs Gordon part 2 next year?

I hope so

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 05:47:42 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
Gordon's dunk was the perfect dunk. Had everything you needed. Should have been over right there.

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
agreed

I think it added a lot of energy and excitement that they let them keep tying so the fun would continue... but Gordon's best dunks should have won it.  At the very end the judges really should have just said "look, let's not judge Lavine based on this final dunk... let's decide the winner right now".  Had I been a judge, I would have given Lavine a low score just so Gordon would rightfully win.

Agreed

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
agreed

I think it added a lot of energy and excitement that they let them keep tying so the fun would continue... but Gordon's best dunks should have won it.  At the very end the judges really should have just said "look, let's not judge Lavine based on this final dunk... let's decide the winner right now".  Had I been a judge, I would have given Lavine a low score just so Gordon would rightfully win.
unfortunately, my sarcasm meter is broken today, so i just cant tell.....
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Totally agree that Gordon shoulda won... The seated dunk was amazing and it was a crime that double pump didn't get a 50.

Two other observations:

-- agree on new judges. You could see Mutombo and others looking to see what the guy next to them were giving like they didn't want to be "wrong"

-- enough w the players (Towns etc) reacting from the "bench". I think their reactions drive some of the scores like the judges didn't want to contradict what the young bucks' reactions. And it seems like it's a side contest to see who can be the most amazed -- like some weird interpretive dance contest

I'm fine with them getting into it -- i just don't want it to overshadow the participants.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:51:52 PM by Gainesville Celtic »
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 07:51:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
can we agree last nights Gordon's over the mascot , under the leg , left hand finish is the best dunk that has happened so far??

My ranking (only one player one dunk)

1. Gordon's over mascot under legs dunk
2. Lavine- bounce, in the air behind the back dunk - 2015
3. Vince Carter - reverse 360 whip dunk
4. Dwight Howard - bounce, off the backboard self pass dunk
5. Gerald Green - off the side of the backboard, tomahawk dunk
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:59:10 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 07:51:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
delete

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2016, 07:54:30 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
can we agree last nights Gordon's over the mascot , under the leg , left hand finish is the best dunk that has happened so far??

2. Lavine bounce in the air behind the back dunk - 2015
4. Dwight Howard - off the backboard self pass dunk

you Cannot count the Howard dunk...never....ball slipped out of his hand about a foot before the rim.....no way.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

you Cannot count the Howard dunk...never....ball slipped out of his hand about a foot before the rim.....no way.

no way man. He designed this dunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wci00tn7OBA

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

no way man. He designed this dunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wci00tn7OBA

ok...you CAN count that one---the one he won the contest---where he wears the Superman cape....was the one I thought you meant-!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
They gave out 50s too easily. If they were harder to come by then Gordon would have won without it going to a dunk off.

Lavine did a similar dunk 3 times, none of which were actually from the free throw line. They were all outstanding, don't get me wrong, but there was little creativity in them.

Gordon had 3 fantastic dunks! The second dunk was outrageous hops, the third was one of the best I've ever seen and incredibly creative and difficult, the fourth was one of the best all time dunks. And them in the dunk off he did that double pump reverse which was also insane!!!

Unbelievable that he didn't win, he has to be considered the best dunker in the NBA now

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 10:25:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think Gordon was robbed on that reverse tomahawk because it didn't look special in real life.  Once you saw the replay, it was unreal that he was able to pull off the tomahawk reverse.  Forgot who it was but someone on Twitter wrote that Gordon was punished because of "a failure by the human body to process images in real time".  Think that hit the nail on the head.

The Lavine stuff was legit 50s too, though.  Not as flashy but the degree of difficulty was nuts.  I mean who the heck does an alley oop from the free throw line?

It should've gone at least another round.  Shouldn't have ended the way it did.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team