Author Topic: Aaron Gordon got robbed. Should of won the dunk contest  (Read 7911 times)

Aaron Gordon got robbed. Should of won the dunk contest
« on: February 14, 2016, 02:59:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Are you kidding me?? Just by this dunk alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49REfDBUQEY

Re: Aaron Gordon got robbed. Should of won the dunk contest
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:04:41 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
agreed

I think it added a lot of energy and excitement that they let them keep tying so the fun would continue... but Gordon's best dunks should have won it.  At the very end the judges really should have just said "look, let's not judge Lavine based on this final dunk... let's decide the winner right now".  Had I been a judge, I would have given Lavine a low score just so Gordon would rightfully win.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 03:10:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
agreed

I think it added a lot of energy and excitement that they let them keep tying so the fun would continue... but Gordon's best dunks should have won it.  At the very end the judges really should have just said "look, let's not judge Lavine based on this final dunk... let's decide the winner right now".  Had I been a judge, I would have given Lavine a low score just so Gordon would rightfully win.

Laving dunks were 50. But those two Gordon dunks are at least 55-60.  For next year the Judges should be given one extra point to use just for an occasion like this.  Gordon i'm sure would of got 51 across the board with that over the mascot under the legs insane dunk

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 03:28:59 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Thanks for giving away the result in the thread title for those of us who haven't watched it yet.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 05:03:42 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
That under both legs dunk was an all-timer. They give away too many 50s, leaving no score for transcendent dunks like that. I didn't watch live, but I've watched some videos and the Gordon dunks are the only ones I want to keep rewatching to marvel at.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:56:57 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
First of I completely agree that he got robbed. I don't know what was Gervin's game (except that finger roll stuff) so I can't tell but to put Magic and Dikembe in there and even Shaq as judges is silly to me. Only relevant dunker was T-Mac so he can understand way better then those three how difficult those two dunks ware... Never mind that, even the average bball fan who never dunked the ball saw that Gordon was better last night. He did something special, something new nobody's seen before, something very very difficult and that's why he should have won the contest. That first dunk with the mascot turning around stuff was waaaay better then the dunk Lavine did and they should have give to him 49. Don't get me wrong, all dunks were for 50 but if you have one one dunk that is better then the second one you should go with the 50 to 49. If that happened, Gordon would have won with 100 to Lavine's 99.

It's funny to me because if that happened in Europe or in my country everybody would be talking about the setup and incompetence of the judges (with extremely harsh words).

The problem with the judging system is they should vote after both dunks so they can properly evaluate both dunks per round. If that was the case, Lavine would lose that first round...

I like Lavine but his dunks are almost all the same. Of the one leg behind the back or through the legs. The dunks are amazing but yesterday he didn't do anything we haven't seen from him or before... compared to those two out of this world dunks from AG...

He should have won that contest. Think he's untouchable right now in Orlando...

Also, shame IT didn't get that skills challenge...

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 06:59:36 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Here are all Gordon and Levine's dunks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L3qJFjlDvKY

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 07:49:25 AM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Have to say, this was without doubt, the best slam dunk contest in years. Almost didn't watch it because previous ones have been so boring.
Do agree, Gordon won

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The thing that bothers me the most is that now we'll have years of looking back on that stupid looking mascot just to see the amazing dunks.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 09:07:13 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
There was a dunk contest?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 09:07:56 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
All those dunks by both guys were awesome. A truly great dunk contest. Don't see many of those. I agree, I would've liked to have seen Aaron Gordon win. I thought that last dunk he did were he cocked behind his head and down below his waist was amazing too.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I watched the clips again, I have to change my mind.

Aaron Gordon had the more unique dunks, and Zach repeated a dunk he made with lesser difficulty. He should have won.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Thanks for giving away the result in the thread title for those of us who haven't watched it yet.

Should have stayed off of Celtics blog like I did until you watched it. By this point in social media you should know you will come across some a spoiler of a major event if you're bumming around the internet.  ;)

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 09:12:44 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I agree they should have bonus points for better dunks. LaVines were on the most part worth 50s, but Gordan was doing things above that.

Lavines last dunk was better, Gordon will learn next time to have a few more nasty dunks in his bag of tricks.

But I do think Gordon should have taken it where LaVine had that one dunk when he went under the hoop, I don't think that was quite a 50 compared to what Gordon was throwing out at the time.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 09:13:09 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I promise, you need to watch it even if you knew the results. This is the best dunk contest we've seen, if not, ever.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace