Author Topic: ALL-STAR Saturday Night!  (Read 10276 times)

Re: ALL-STAR Saturday Night!
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2016, 10:51:22 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Ainge was gonna draft Aaron Gordon if he was available.

Fortunately, the better player rather than the better athlete fell to him.
Smart is certainly the better player right now. Gordon could end up being better.

Considering Smart's work ethic and drive, I wouldn't bet on that.

« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Basketball and girls in bikinis....

Not bad, not bad at all.

Only things I need in life
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2016, 11:30:40 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
A few thoughts.  Forgive me if they're a bit jumbled.

I think a couple of things hurt the dunk contest in the past several years.  The silly pageantry, lack of star power and stupid formatting of years past nearly killed the contest.  It was a shame that LeBron, one of the best athletes the game has ever seen, never participated.  Likewise, it was saddening that the 'spectacle' of the Blake Griffin year drove DeRozan, a legit very good dunker, away from the event.  He would have been a great inclusion this year as a rep for the home city of Toronto.  Not knocking Blake necessarily, he was a great participant in his own right... but that year, the cars and fanfares and second backboards all just distracted from what the contest is supposed to be. 

This contest was a huge step in the right direction.  Less pageantry (Will Barton's intro was really the only offender here... Gordon's intro was pretty innocuous, and it didn't hurt that he backed it up and then some).  Lavine and Gordon put on a hell of a show.  That was fun.

Going forward, I'd like to see this as the benchmark - if you can't hang on this level, stay home.  I don't care if they have to screen these guys behind the scenes or what.  I understand that sometimes you just have a bad night, but nobody can convince me that Barton and Drummond ever had a chance at competing with Lavine.  Screw filling a quota of four or six dunkers every year or whatever.  If ten great dunkers want to compete, bring them all in.  If there are only two or three, tell them to pack five dunks each... don't fill out the rest of the contest roster with filler.  Build the format around the participants, not the other way around. 

And find a way to the game's most athletic superstars back into the contest.  Looking at you, Westbrook. 

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2016, 11:38:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hands down the most entertaining All-star Saturday Night in over a decade.

Towns vs Thomas was highly entertaining.  I can't even be mad at Towns for beating Thomas... that was great.

Draymond vs Kevin Hart was entertaining too, but didn't Hart legitimately beat him?  They made a bit assuming Hart would lose... but Hart actually won.  He was a good sport for not pointing that out.

3-Point shootout was as entertaining as always.  Klay knocking off Steph with super high scores by multiple folks.

That dunk contest had the inevitable duds (guys who can't hit dunks), but down the stretch Gordon vs Levine was outstanding.   Gordon absolutely got robbed, though.  His dunks were sensational.  Not a knock on Levine or the judges, because the tie-breakers extended the fun, but Gordon's top dunks definitely beat Levine's top dunks. 

Best all-star Saturday night ive seen since maybe Vince Carter and that one is mainly just memorable because of Vince.

« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2016, 11:40:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Towns vs Thomas was highly entertaining.  I can't even be mad at Towns for beating Thomas... that was great.

Draymond vs Kevin Hart was entertaining too, but didn't Hart legitimately beat him?  They made a bit assuming Hart would lose... but Hart actually won.  He was a good sport for not pointing that out.

3-Point shootout was as entertaining as always.  Klay knocking off Steph with super high scores by multiple folks.

That dunk contest had the inevitable duds (guys who can't hit dunks), but down the stretch Gordon vs Levine was outstanding.   Gordon absolutely got robbed, though.  His dunks were sensational.  Not a knock on Levine or the judges, because the tie-breakers extended the fun, but Gordon's top dunks definitely beat Levine's top dunks. 

Best all-star Saturday night ive seen since maybe Vince Carter and that one is mainly just memorable because of Vince.

I believe Hart tied him with the last bucket he made.

« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2016, 11:44:34 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

I thought they stopped counting when he hit 11 but by my count, he tied it. Then the shot at the buzzer gave him the win.
- LilRip

« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2016, 11:48:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I thought they stopped counting when he hit 11 but by my count, he tied it. Then the shot at the buzzer gave him the win.

Hmm, I might have missed that. Either way, they didn't expect Hart to be that close to Green lol

« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2016, 12:22:43 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

They tied at 12.

« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2016, 12:31:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Hmm, I might have missed that. Either way, they didn't expect Hart to be that close to Green lol
My dad and I watched and it definitely seemed like he hit his last two and beat Draymond.  They obviously had a bit set up expecting him to lose... but it seemed like he actually won.

Edit:   I just watched the replay... nevermind.  Hart's 2nd to last shot looked like it went in, but it grazed the front of the net and didn't actually go in.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:44:58 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2016, 12:44:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Ainge was gonna draft Aaron Gordon if he was available.

Fortunately, the better player rather than the better athlete fell to him.
Smart is certainly the better player right now. Gordon could end up being better.

Considering Smart's work ethic and drive, I wouldn't bet on that.
It has been conventional thinking since the draft that Gordon will be better, but he is not progressing offensively as fast as expected.  I suppose you could say the same for Smart, it is still not clear who will eventually be better.

« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2016, 02:01:12 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Gordon gonna get robbed

Nope, don't think so. Gordon was great, LaVine was just a touch better.
no way. The dunk where he glided like he could had sat on the mascot was the best dunk of the night.

Up there with one of the best dunks in the history of the dunk contest.  I don't think I'm exaggerating.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2016, 02:16:30 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

=

« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2016, 12:09:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Disgraceful the number of missed passes in that skills challenge.

« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2016, 12:13:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I only saw the dunk contest but it was probably the best I've ever seen.  After some of the duds of past years it was refreshing to see ridiculous dunks that were generally pretty original.  Gordon and LaVine were both absolutely incredible. 

It's crazy how everyone still gushes about Jordan dunking from (slightly over) the FT line, and guys like LaVine can do it more or less routinely, and with added flair like going between the legs.

« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2016, 01:15:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The Jordan mystic is due to the fact that he was a trailblazer ..he pioneered most of these things. He had no competition at the time, and he was widely celebrated by all. The clincher was the tremendous force of the NBA and NIKE that propelled everything he did to absurd levels.