Author Topic: Do other GM's cringe at trading with Danny? Do C's fans fear the thought of ....  (Read 5735 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I don't know if anything is going to get done by the deadline , but this has run through my mind.

Do other GM's try to find different trade partners because of Danny's history of fleecing teams? Do they make him offer more than most teams because past trading partners ended up with the short side of the stick ?

Also, do c's fans worry about making the Cavs stronger , even if we are strengthening our own team ? AB hitting a big 3 in the playoffs for the Cavs comes to mind

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
No, I can't imagine anyone who has ascended to the ranks of NBA GM thinks that another GM is better.  If Ainge had a history of forging/lying about medical records, maybe.  But otherwise I'd bet they think they're too competent to get hosed.

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I don't know if anything is going to get done by the deadline , but this has run through my mind. Do other GM's try to find different trade partners because of Danny's history of fleecing teams? Do they make him offer more than most teams because past trading partners ended up with the short side of the stick ?

Also, do c's fans worry about making the Cavs stronger , even if we are strengthening our own team ? AB hitting a big 3 in the playoffs for the Cavs comes to mind
didnt ainge once make a trade with detroit that helped detroit win a championship? if we were to review ainge's many trades, i dont think the vast majority could be labeled a fleecing.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I think it was brilliant that Ainge put it out there that Jordan rejected his draft day trade. Any GM who is going to reject an offer is going to also have to fear looking silly for not taking it.

Frank Kaminsky!

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
If you're a GM worth your salt, I don't think you should be afraid of dealing with any other GM. You should just turn down the offer if you think it's a bad one.

Regarding making the Cavs stronger, I don't think we should really be too concerned about that. I think DA needs to focus on making the C's better and not get too concerned whether or not other teams upgrade. For example, if we can trade Bradley+Lee for Love but it means Cleveland lands Melo, we should participate in that trade because that is tremendous value for Bradley+Lee.
- LilRip

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
If you're a GM worth your salt, I don't think you should be afraid of dealing with any other GM. You should just turn down the offer if you think it's a bad one.

Regarding making the Cavs stronger, I don't think we should really be too concerned about that. I think DA needs to focus on making the C's better and not get too concerned whether or not other teams upgrade. For example, if we can trade Bradley+Lee for Love but it means Cleveland lands Melo, we should participate in that trade because that is tremendous value for Bradley+Lee.

in that situation we would also be giving up a brk pick, likely the 2016

Is Love for AB/Lee and Nets 2016 pick tremendous value ?

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I don't know if anything is going to get done by the deadline , but this has run through my mind.

Do other GM's try to find different trade partners because of Danny's history of fleecing teams? Do they make him offer more than most teams because past trading partners ended up with the short side of the stick ?

I don't think so. Most trades help or benefit both teams in different ways. Ainge has built a treasure worth of assets so if you're an opposing GM, my guess is that would be extremely attractive to you in trade.

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

Especially if we could get love without giving up nets 16.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

As long as we're not trading coaches, I'm not concerned about making the Cavs stronger.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

You miss my point. You asked if we should worry about making the Cavs stronger, even if we were making our team stronger. My point was no, we shouldn't worry about the Cavs. If we were offered a lopsided package like Bradley+Lee for Love, then you take it without worrying if the Cavs are getting better.

- LilRip

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

I think it's either/or not both.  If we give up Bradley we hold onto nets 16, if we give up nets 16 we hold onto AB.  At least that's what I think Ainge's mindset is for a trade like this.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

As long as we're not trading coaches, I'm not concerned about making the Cavs stronger.

Are you talking about their de facto coach or Lue? ;)

As much as I dislike their de facto coach, I'd think about trading for him.

Hell, didn't he tell us he has a HUGE basketball IQ?....Eh, maybe I'd pass.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I think it's either/or not both.  If we give up Bradley we hold onto nets 16, if we give up nets 16 we hold onto AB.  At least that's what I think Ainge's mindset is for a trade like this.

I think Danny's mentality is more like AB or the 2018 Nets pick.

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
According to this article...the answer is YES because Ainge is ruthless!

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25484166/nba-trade-rumors-live-blog-21516-nets-shopping-thad-young

"   THE CELTICS BASICALLY WANT TO ROB YOU BLIND.
Dealing with the Celtics sounds like a nightmare. Everything leaks, and yet nothing ever exposes the Celtics' position in potential deals. See if you can spot the pattern here:

Atlanta center Al Horford, another big name that has been attached to the Celtics, falls into that group – with a price tag that is prohibitive for a player who is about to become a free agent. Denver's Danilo Gallinari, who has intrigued Celtics president Danny Ainge, was a dead issue well before those talks were reported.
Asked whether the team is increasingly reluctant to part with its collection of Brooklyn first round picks – 2016, the right to swap in 2017, and finally 2018 – the source said, “Not likely, sure.”
Indeed, the Celtics' recent success considered, they do not feel an urgency to get something done by Thursday, though David Lee and his $15.5 million contract have to be burning a hole in Danny Ainge's pocket.
The source said that the Celtics, “do not feel that they have to do anything. Sure they'd like to do something. Every team wants to, but first you have to find something that works with a trade partner."
Source: Celtics bide time in trade market; Isaiah does some recruiting | Boston Herald.

In that brief quote, the Celtics aren't going to overpay for Horford, won't part with any of the Nets' picks, and the Celtics aren't pressured to make a trade. Nevermind that they have more picks than they have roster spots available for next season, or that if the Celtics really want to make a playoff run they need to make a deal for at least one positional upgrade.

Must be nice to be the Celtics, able to trade for anyone and not having to ever overpay."

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
While the article headline is a screamer, all it really says is that Ainge doesn't want to overpay.  Neither does any other GM.